It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something killing the catfish?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I read this first story from Colorado a few days ago...

Catfish deaths a mystery in Mineral Palace Park lake

City workers say other species of fish and waterfowl continue to thrive in Mineral Palace Park's Lake Clara.

Hundreds of bullhead catfish mysteriously died during the weekend at Mineral Palace Park, and more continued to go belly up on Monday.

The City Parks and Recreation Department had few answers and explanations for the schools of dead and dying fish in Lake Clara.

more...

Then I read this one from Florida today...

Thousands Of Dead Fish Line Brevard River

State wildlife officials are searching for what killed thousands of hardhead catfish in a Brevard County, Fla., lagoon.

The rotting fish were discovered at Rotary Park in Suntree and can be smelled by motorists along U.S. 1.

"I don't know what it is, but it doesn't smell very good," Marty Smith of Melbourne told Local 6 News partner Florida Today.

State wildlife biologists gathered fish samples to send to the Fish and Wildlife Research Institute in St. Petersburg.

"We're not going to know about what's causing the kill until we get samples in," biologist Loanna Torrance said.

An official identified the dead fish as hardhead catfish, the same species that washed up in the area on Sept. 22 and 23.

In the summer of 1996, thousands of hardheads floated up dead in the lagoon. Biologists never identified the exact cause, but suspected a virus that killed only hardheads.

And this one from Iowa...

Catfish kill attributed to stress from high water temperatures

INDEPENDENCE, Iowa State environmental officials say a fish kill that left 17 channel catfish dead in the Wapsipinicon River is being blamed on stress from high water temperatures.

The fish _ ranging in length from 12 inches to 20 inches _ were discovered by Iowa Department of Natural Resources staff in a stretch of the river below the Independence Impoundment Dam.

The D-N-R's Bryan Hayes says the kill appears to have taken place over three or four days this week. He says stress is the cause and not pollution.

Hayes says healthy catfish were located downstream.

And this in Minnesota...

Summer's catfish die-off mystifies DNR

RAPIDAN, MN - The state is investigating the death of thousands of channel catfish on the Blue Earth and Watonwan rivers, behind the Rapidan Dam. It's the first catfish die-off area officials and river residents can recall.

"I've never seen dead catfish behind the dam in 50 years," said Jim Hruska, owner of the Rapidan Dam Cafe.

Hugh Valiant, of the Department of Natural Resources fisheries division, said no one in his department can recall a catfish kill on area rivers.

"It's pretty noteworthy," Valiant said. "We'd really like to find cause of death."

And from Alabama...

Scientists: Virus likely cause of catfish kill

DAUPHIN ISLAND, Alabama. (AP) -- Dead catfish have washed up by the thousands on the Alabama coast, and scientists say they are probably victims of a virus that also struck in 1996.

The fish washed up Tuesday, spread over miles of beachfront at Dauphin Island and Fort Morgan. Alabama conservation officials said many more would wash up Wednesday.

Scientists sent tissue samples to the Alabama Department of Environmental Management for testing, with results due back in about a week, said Mark Van Hoose of the Alabama Marine Resources Division.

In May 1996, tens of thousands of hardhead catfish were killed Gulf-wide by what scientists later determined was a virus. The catfish virus hasn't killed mass numbers of fish since then.

Very, very odd!

[edit on 29-9-2005 by loam]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Red tide ? I thought that was a fish killer ?

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
All different locations, and catfish are very hardy.

They just don't take temperature shifts well. I'd say the waters that are usually bearable at the deep are too shallow and too hot to sustain the fish.

Maybe something in the muck, heavy metals or such, killing the bottom feeders but leaving the birds and midwater fish alive?

Or it could be a coincidence, a virus here, a warming period there.

Very noteworthy though, thank you for bringing this story to ATS loam.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
It's weird...I looked to see if there was a prevalence of such stories in the past. I couldn't find any, but I don't know how effective my search was.

Note these were fresh and saltwater catfish...

Very odd, indeed.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Add Beaumont Texas to the list. It was reported on the news this evening.

Also the Associated Press reported back on August 6th of a fish kill in Matagorda County. Not far from where I live actually. You can find that report on the KHOU site. Just do a search.

[edit on 29-9-2005 by garyo1954]

[edit on 29-9-2005 by garyo1954]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
This is sooo uncool.

I wonder if it is linked to the frogs dieing world-wide. That would suck if the catfish made it to the species in decline list. Wonder if the solar storms we have had had any impact

But right now im searchin, or keeping an eye out for dead birds, haven't seen any yet.

[edit on 29-9-2005 by LDragonFire]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Hey, I hope this doesn't sound just way too twitchy, but catfish are also known for their extreme sensitivity to seismic vibrations Catfish seismic sensitivity
It's just one of those things that make you think= along with the massive vibrations I'm looking at right now at this site
So sad, no matter what. God, this year is depressing!

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Yet another astounding story loam.

So catfish are sensitive to seismic activity, huh Rise and Fall? Myomyohmy. Things are getting intersting in our world...

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
wondering if the water where these catsfish have died has experienced any increase in methane levels. Freshwater cats not likley IMHO , but the shallower area of salt water cats habitat perhaps - any thoughts?

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I stumbled into another catfish kill story.... This is strange!

What a sea-change! Life’s no more a beach

Last month, Juhu beach saw an entire school of fish (eels, the snake-like fish with long mouths and small fins) washed ashore right along the coastal stretch. This episode happened barely a couple of days after scores of dead catfish were found floating in the sea at the southern tip of the city’s seafront between Gateway of India and Sassoon Dock. In all probability, these fish were a catch discarded by a fishing trawler. However, in the case of the dead fish found at Juhu, such a possibility was ruled out.

In order to gauge the magnitude of sea pollution, samples of water along Mumbai’s four different beaches were examined. The testing of the waters was conducted at Envirocare Labs Pvt Ltd (ELPL), an environmental technology laboratory in Thane, one approved by the Ministry for Environment and Forests.

The tests that were conducted examined various parameters like `pH’ levels, dissolved oxygen levels, total nitrogen, ammonical nitrogen, biochemical oxygen demand, chemical oxygen demand and the presence of heavy metals like mercury and cadmium present in the seawater. The results of the test took a week’s time and the findings are rather stunning. At certain stretches, the sea is so toxic that it is almost like the waters are poisoned, say ELPL officials.

more...

Will do more to see how widespread this problem really is.

[edit on 4-11-2005 by loam]

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
'Where the people are many and their hands are all empty,
Where the pellets of poison are flooding their waters' Bd.

Since catfish are known bottom-feeders and in Oklahoma they do what is called 'catfish noodling' where they go into holes and pull out the big ones by hand.
This is just an anamoly being that the top-side fish are not affected..Could an source of Light be to blame, they cannot bear light..?
Thank you for sharing this...will continue to investigate.

www.here-now.org...

new topics

top topics

join