It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Second Riot Breakouts In Belfast In Less Than 24 Hours

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Belfast police are reporting that yet another riot has broken out in parts of East and Northern Belfast. Top Cop Constable Sir Hugh Orde is reporting that approximately 700 individuals are involved and several fire bombs and missiles may have been thrown at police lines in the eastern part of the city. Saturday's riot left approximately 32 policemen injured according to Orde.

news.bbc.co.uk
A mob of around 700 people have taken to the streets of Belfast in a new wave of loyalist rioting, police said.

Petrol bombs and missiles were thrown at security lines on Albertbridge Road in the east of the city.

One police officer has been reported injured. A blast bomb also exploded outside New Barnsley Police Station in west Belfast, causing minor damage.

The latest trouble came after riots on Saturday - sparked by the re-routing of an Orange Order march.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What is with all this British violence? Happy Slapping is rampant in the streets of the UK, Hoodies are causing their fair share of damage and now a fringe element in Ireland has taken to the streets causing even more violence. When will it stop? Do the British Police even have the ability to stop it?

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Have Tony call King George III here in the states. He will offer military aid.

I am not making light of this very serious circumstance. I do hope peace can be establish. And pray that no one is seriously injured.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by garyo1954
Have Tony call King George III here in the states. He will offer military aid.

I am not making light of this very serious circumstance. I do hope peace can be establish. And pray that no one is seriously injured.

What bothers me is why are the police using plastic bullets when the opposition is using live ammunition? It makes no sense, they are out to kill the police that is obvious since they are using real ammunition, yet the police stand by and use plastic bullets:shk: :shk:

[edit on 9/11/2005 by shots]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Wow, well I think protest is one thing. But when it turns to mass riots it calls for tougher action. I sure hope that the riot police squads can put down this riot and others. But if the British need help I'm sure the US would be happy to help out, after all we've got plenty of MP's.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Not wanting to start a flame but...

Move all pro-brits outa there, let the Irish have their land back.

I must cut this short or I will rant more then needed.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Oh the ignorance! Crime in Britain is falling but it is also changing. There is specific problems i.e. youth crime being one of them and hence the obsession with hoodies. The hoody merely being the dress code of youth and in particular the hoodlum gangs. This youth crime is prevelant in certain areas......you know exactly the same as in all cities of the world! The difference is our youth gangs aren't armed to the teeth as they are elsewhere (like the US).

Now , Ireland. The suggestion that this problem will go away if Ireland is re-united misses one glorious point : The people rioting were loyalists i.e. the very group of people OPPOSED to reunification. The IRA (republicans pro unification) have recently abandonded their armed struggle and we now have gangs of loyalists.......armed to the teeth..... and no enemy to fight. They are nothing more than gangsters. Don't kid yourself about the truth which is that the paramiltary organisations in Ireland have simply turned (over the years) into gangsters and racketeers. The politics and religion is simply a sign of their allegience but their aim is the same : armed control of the population and crime.

The fighting was inevitable. Whilst all the talk has been about the IRA giving up arms, nobody has been shouting about the fully armed loyalists. Well I wonder if those loyalist political parties so vocal about the IRA arms will now open their mouths about their own peoples arms? I shall not hold my breathe

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by malcr
Oh the ignorance! Crime in Britain is falling but it is also changing.

That is not what the BBC is reporting, they claim crime is rising.

Figures show crime rate increase

Hate crime up 40% since bombings

Violent offences top million mark

Sussex recorded a 36% rise in violence, Kent a 12% rise, and Surrey a 10% rise.

Violent crime up, figures reveal

Happy slapping is also on the rise, however I will spare you the embarrassment.

[edit on 9/12/2005 by shots]

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
The situation is very tense at the minute. The protests are becoming more widespread away from Belfast with road closures and bomb alerts all over the province.
Word going around is the that the loyalists want another Drumcree. They want to bring Northern Ireland to a complete standstill. They have had enough of the Brtish and Irish goverment letting Sinn Fein/ IRA get away with everything.
This could be bad

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by revr
The situation is very tense at the minute. The protests are becoming more widespread away from Belfast with road closures and bomb alerts all over the province.
This could be bad

I see that an applogize for not checking the latest on the issue. 50 police officers hurt so far, tons of beatings and robberies of passengers on buses, yes I agree it does not look good at all. As I recall the top cop also stated this is the worst violence he has seen, again not a good sign at all.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Third night of loyalist violence.

Ten police officers were injured during a third night of rioting in Belfast and other parts of Northern Ireland.
The trouble, which stemmed from the re-routing of a contentious Orange Order parade, began on Saturday.

On Monday, trouble flared in Belfast, Lisburn, Newtownards and Newtownabbey.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Oh cmon shots, you know very well that when the "media" does reports on crime it's in their best interests to keep it as bleak as possible. I don't know the actual statistics but I'm willing to bet that overall crime is on the way down just like it is in almost every Western country. Specific types of crime are on the rise, but that doesn't automatically mean crime overall is on the rise.

This culture of fear keeps us consuming, sure there are hotspots that flare up every now and again but lets keep things in perspective okay? Spare the rightous indignation for when it actually counts.

The British Isles have faced far worse then this, I applaud the restraint of the police by using rubber bullets, these are residential hoods and all, no need to cause an 'incident' by accidentally killing some school-children who lacked the brains or means to be elsewhere.

new topics

top topics

join