It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Typhoon Talim Terrorises Taiwan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Just days after Americans are mopping up after Hurricane Katrina slammed into Louisiana and Mississippi, on the other side of the planet Taiwan is bracing itself for the arrival of Typhoon Talim. The typhoon has built up over the Pacific Ocean, east of the Philippines and is moving slowly at 20 kilometres per hour towards Taiwan, packing winds of up to 227 kilometres per hour. This is the 13th Typhoon to hit the region so far this season. Taiwan bears the brunt of many typhoons each season with one such typhoon, Toriji causing 200 deaths in 2001.

www.news.com.au

By 1000 (AEST), Typhoon Talim was 390km east-southeast of Taiwan's east coast, with maximum sustained winds of 184km/h and gusts of up to 227km/h, the Central Weather Bureau said.

Rain was already falling across parts of northern Taiwan including the capital Taipei early today, with the Government warning residents to stay away from coastal and mountain regions and rivers.

The typhoon was moving west-northwest at 21km/h and, if it stayed on its present course, the full force of the storm was projected to hit later today or early tomorrow morning, the bureau said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The image below is amazing. As you can see there are two hurricanes back to back virtually and both huge category four to five strength. I hope that they do not hit landfall in the same place because the devastation will be catastrphic.

Link To Latest Pacific Asia Satellite Image

Related News Links:
edition.cnn.com
news.xinhuanet.com
www.bloomberg.com

[edit on 31-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
All too easy for us to forget about the "other" hurricanes on the other side of the world. My metric to english conversion is a bit rusty, but I think this typhoon would be a cat 4 hurricane by our standards (a strong cat 4)...just for comparison. And many live in bamboo huts not concrete buildings.....

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
If anyone would like to discuss either Here, or in a U2U about this with me/us as

a community, I think this ties in well with the current economic battle between

the U.S.A and China at the Corporate level.

I do hope that Someone responds to this legitimatly. I really look

forward to a possible debate on this.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
That is unbelievable, not just one major hurricane to worry about but TWO!!! back to back no less.... what a busy hurricane season!!!!!

so many lives all around the world being disrupted, pray for your fellow man and lend a hand whenever and where ever you can.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
back to back hurricane move out of there way.too deadly to sit and watch.i hope they get everyone out very shortly.....

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
That's a pretty scary picture. I'm lucky to live in a non-hurricane zone (knock on wood), so I can't even imagine how frightening that must be to have two heading right for you.

And by the way, I love the alliteration you used in your title, Mayet. Brilliant!

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Good pics Mayet--good title too. I remember being in Vietnam (actually out in the Gulf Of Tonkin at the time) when we went through five (5) Typhoons in one month. The things get scary. I was on an aircraft carrier during that month and on two different occassions we were taking green water over the flight deck--which by the way is 90 ft. above the water line. I don't wish these types of storms on anyone, anytime, but I fear we will see an increasing number of them as our planet heats up.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I think the first hurricane is starting to break up slightly and doesn't seem as big or as dangerous but the seocond one coming through has grown in strength from this time yesterday. I will update the pictures as time goes on but it seems to be growing into a huge hurricane.

China Post
The eye of the latest typhoon was located 640 kilometers east of Oluanpi, Taiwan's southernmost tip, at 9:30 p.m. With maximum center winds of up to 191 kph, Talim's 250 km radius was moving west-northwest toward Taiwan at 21 kph.
Taoyuan County residents who were hit by acute water shortages in the wake of recent typhoons, started filling tanks and buckets with running water.
At a late night press conference, Economics Minister Ho Mei-yueh urged residents throughout the island to take same action.
Interior Minister Su Chia-chyuan said residents in low-lying areas and mountains prone to land and mud slides should move to higher places.
Many people in mountain regions already starting moving to homes of relatives or friends in the evening.
CWB officials said people areas subject to the threats of Talim include Taipei, Keelung, Taoyuan, Hsinchu, Miaoli, Nantou, Hualien, Ilan, Taitung, Green Island, and Lanyu (Orchid Island).

and there seems to be two more forming in the pacific as well, that are headed in the same direction. The weather image is quite striking with these storms in various stages of formation

Latest World Image

[edit on 31-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Take a look at the eye of this second one thats coming through behind Talim..

the eye is huge and its still forming..

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Death toll from typhoon Talim rises to 53 in Anhui

HEFEI, Sept. 4 (Xinhuanet) -- Torrential rains and landslides caused by typhoon Talim have claimed 53 lives and left 12 others missing in east China's Anhui Province, provincial official sources said Sunday.

Typhoon-inflicted disasters have affected some 5.21 million people, forcing the relocation of more than 390,000 residents, according to the provincial production and disaster relief office.

The disasters also destroyed 33,600 residential houses, damaged 102,000 houses and affected more than 313,000 hectares of cropland in the province, incurring 2.4 billion yuan (290 million US dollars) in direct losses.

The provincial government has launched an emergent disaster relief scheme in a bid to help restore the local people's life, including rescue of the injured, epidemic prevention, resuming production and rebuilding residential houses.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
all i cant say is wow.look what weather can do to people.remind me later why we should be tunneling underground shelters in the future.......

[edit on 4-9-2005 by flukemol]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
Death toll from typhoon Talim rises to 53 in Anhui

HEFEI, Sept. 4 (Xinhuanet) -- Torrential rains and landslides caused by typhoon Talim have claimed 53 lives and left 12 others missing in east China's Anhui Province, provincial official sources said Sunday.

Typhoon-inflicted disasters have affected some 5.21 million people, forcing the relocation of more than 390,000 residents, according to the provincial production and disaster relief office.

The disasters also destroyed 33,600 residential houses, damaged 102,000 houses and affected more than 313,000 hectares of cropland in the province, incurring 2.4 billion yuan (290 million US dollars) in direct losses.

The provincial government has launched an emergent disaster relief scheme in a bid to help restore the local people's life, including rescue of the injured, epidemic prevention, resuming production and rebuilding residential houses.

By reading your link WW, it looks like the thyphoon was a piece of cake compared to the damge Kartina caused. Therefore the story title over dramatized the event.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
My story title??? "Death toll from typhoon Talim rises to 53 in Anhui" dramatizes the event???

HUH??? 53 people dead dying in hurricane is 53 too many.

and I don't think the people in Taiwan affected would feel it was piece of cake. You cannot start comparing every disaster to Katrina, it doesn't make sense.

[edit on 9-4-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
My story title??? "Death toll from typhoon Talim rises to 53 in Anhui" dramatizes the event???

HUH??? 53 people dead dying in hurricane is 53 too many.

and I don't think the people in Taiwan affected would feel it was piece of cake. You cannot start comparing every disaster to Katrina, it doesn't make sense.

[edit on 9-4-2005 by worldwatcher]

I was talking about the authors title not yours WW.

I think it was over dramatic and that is mho to which I am entitled. Yes I too agree 53 is too many but that was not my point considering it was also a cat 4 and only 53 died as compared to perhaps thousands or tens of thousans here, no one will know for months how many died here and what damage the typhoon was a drop in the bucket as compared to what katrina will cost. That is all I was trying to point out. You have to admit they did get off easy right?

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Actually because there is more water and it can be warmer than the Gulf, Pacific Typhoons can be powerful that a new category "6" is contemplated

Hurricane Linda achieves status as strongest hurricane ever recorded in the Eastern Pacific (Category 5; gusts to 220; sustained winds of 200 mph) [Schroeder/Bassett note: This event exceeded Category 5 by such an extent that a new Category 6 is suggested.] The 10 meter pounding surf from the hurricane sweeps five people off a beach. When the hurricane eventually strikes land in Viet Nam, Cambodia, and Thailand, 150,000 buildings are destroyed, 3000 people are missing, and the confirmed death toll at 587. ("Weather Wise", The Independent, London, November 17, 1997, Features, page 10) ("Earthwatch: Diary of the Planet", Los Angeles Times, Metro, Part B, page 2, Metro Desk) Almost $. 5 billion in damages resulted.

Super Typhoon Keith with gusting winds to 220 mph hits the Mariana Islands. ("Earth Changes Report", October 27 to November 8, December 1997 edition, page 5, by Gordon Michael Scallion)

The Trade winds which normally blow from east to west in the Pacific have stopped and reversed direction to blow from west to east as a result of El Nino. This has already happened three times, an all time record for an El Nino. Ocean currents have also been disrupted. The heated water forms a bulge from a few inches to twenty inches over hundreds of miles with resulting water currents in the millions of gallons per minute. (October, 1997)

When Typhoon Joan hit the North Marian Islands, it was packing winds of 185 miles per hour with gusts to 225 miles per hour, making it one of the most powerful ever recorded in the Western Pacific Ocean. (AP on-line, October 19, 1997, International News, 22:39 Eastern daylight time)
origin

That would be winds over 200 mph storm surge: 30 ft

join