It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Swedish JAS 39 "Gripen", Simple and stylish

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Hello again! In my last post i wrote about the F-18, a plane that I love more than anything.www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread152934/pg1' So in this thread I was thinking to move west to my neighbour country Sweden and their own "Simple and Stylish fighter". here it is the facts about the "Gripen".

History

The Swedish fighter made it's first flight in december 1988. The plane was planned to be a good fighter with bombing capabilities. And the "JAS" word actually comes from the Swedish words Jakt (Fighter), Attack (Attack), and Spaning (Reconnaissance). The JAS plane has been made for one or two pilots. The "Gripen" is the later model of the old Viggen plane.

Design

The Gripen is very like the British EF. It's design gives it speed, acceleration and good turning preformance. The combination of delta wing and canards gives the JAS 39 Gripen very good take off and landing performance and superb flying characteristics. The plane is made for the 21ct even thoug it haven't been built with same budget as it's competetors "Hornet" and the "EF".

Gripen today

Today the plane serves in the Swedish, South African, Hungarian and the Czech Republic air-forces. The planes unit cost is about 35 million $. The Gripen ahs had a great history so far, only four crashes, taht is a low number if we compare to other top-fighters.

Description
Role Swing-role combat aircraft (Fight, Attack, Maritime attack, Reconnaissance)
Crew 1 or 2
First Flight 9 dec 1988
Entered Service 1996
Manufacturer Saab-Scania
Dimensions
Length 14.1 m
Wingspan 8.4 m
Height 4.5 m
Wing area 25.54 m² 274.9 ft²
Weights
Empty 6620 kg
Loaded 8720 kg
Maximum takeoff 14000 kg
Powerplant
Engines One Volvo Aero RM12 afterburning turbofan
Thrust 54 dry, 80 kN afterburn
Performance
Maximum speed Mach 2 at altitude
Combat range (max load) 500 miles 800 km
Service ceiling 50,000 ft 15,000 m
Rate of climb ft/min m/min
Thrust/weight 6.2 N/kg
Avionics
Avionics
Armament
Armament 27 mm Mauser BK-27 cannon

6 AIM-9 Sidewinder, 4 AIM-120 AMRAAM; or MICA
Air-to-ground weapons include: AGM-65 Maverick, KEPD 150, Various laser guided bombs, rocket pods, etc.
Air-to-sea weapons include: Rb15F
It will be the first fighter to test the new MBDA Meteor missile system

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Yeah, the gripen is a marvelous aircraft, with great potential. Too bad there is stiff competition betweet the Gripen and more popular new fighter aircraft, like the Eurofighter, F-35 JSF, the French Rafale.

Here is afactsheet I wrote about the Gripen: www.air-attack.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Cool... Thanks for it...

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Here is the cockpit of a Czech (NATO) version of the SAAB JAS-39 Gripen.

Photo: SAAB

Source: Teknisk Ukeblad: NATO-Gripen er klar (in Norwegian...)

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
no comparison to the raptor.The raptor would rape it.

D

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
The raptor will "rape" it eh? While I have no doubt that the raptor will be better, it's not in full service yet and the Gripen is a damn nice jet. Also I think this thread was to point out the technical aspects of the plane and its various roles, not a another "insert plane here vs. the Raptor."

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   
yeah, but this isn't about "the marvelous Raptor again"... Do you relly think that the Swedes have enough money to even BUILD a plane like RAptor, NO... Everyting the do comes trough knowledge not money...

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 02:57 AM
link   
The Gripen is a damn fine performer and a mighty "styling" aircraft as was the Viggen before it, and the Drakken before that.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
And it was developed by a country with about the same population as New York.. On a budget that would pay for the kick-off party on the Raptor program.. (ok slight exaggeration I admit).
If that is not worth respect I don't know what is!

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
yeah, the "gripen"is a damn good fighter...

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Good jet, but don't get your heads too puffed up now, they had some help from us evil Americans!
The engine in the Gripen, is American made, if memory is correct.

Anyway, yes, I like the Gripen, looks very nice. As I always say, canards always make a jet look better. It's too bad the F-22 and F-35 won't get'em since they higher an jets' RCS.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northax
Good jet, but don't get your heads too puffed up now, they had some help from us evil Americans!
The engine in the Gripen, is American made, if memory is correct.

Correct there... 1 General Electric/Volvo Flygmotor RM12 afterburning turbofan, 18,100 lb thrust.
But aside from that the Grippen is a credit to Sweden, as stated before.
And the Raptor raping it is a bit off-color don't you think?
While I think the F-22 is the state of the art in fighter-tech, I really wish folks wouldn't be quite so brazen in their enthusiasm.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   
True, about the powerplant. The engine is constructed under the Swedish car manufacturer "Volvo". The engine is one General Electric/Volvo Flygmotor RM12 afterburning turbofan, 18,100 lb thrust...

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
The Czechs , although happy with there aircraft are worried about the aircraft being underpowered , especially compared to the 10 year old MiG-29`s they have.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

mentioned in the previous discussion on the Gripen

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Yes... I understand... Of course the plane is good... However I don't believe that it would be a mach to a Hornet for instance...

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
If it got close enough it would outmanouvre the Hornet but a Hornet would have a distinct BVR advantage in the first place.

Also nobody seems to have mentioned that the Gripens Volvo RM 12, rather than simply being 'built with American help' is actually a licence produced GE F404 as used in the F-18, F-20 etc.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
If it got close enough it would outmanouvre the Hornet but a Hornet would have a distinct BVR advantage in the first place.

Also nobody seems to have mentioned that the Gripens Volvo RM 12, rather than simply being 'built with American help' is actually a licence produced GE F404 as used in the F-18, F-20 etc.

Waynos, once again your intelligence stuns me, To every thread that I post it seems that you know more than me, (i think)...

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
Waynos, once again your intelligence stuns me, To every thread that I post it seems that you know more than me, (i think)...

I hope it doesn't come across as if I am stalking your threads waiting to pounce. I only wish to add information where I can.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northax
make a jet look better. It's too bad the F-22 and F-35 won't get'em since they higher an jets' RCS.

Why would canards (as compared to a conventional elevators) increase RCS?

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Because canards are there WITH conventional elevators as well, which just gives you more surface for the radar to reflect off of. Canards make you more manuverable, but also are just added reflectors for radar.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join