It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE NEW DEBATE TOURNAMENT!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 03:05 AM
link   
ATS is a message board that prides itself on the quality of it's debate and so there is no greater title here than to be declared ATS debate champion.

OnlyInMyDreams won the last tournament and so he has that title.But how long will he be able to hold on to it on a board full of great debaters.He needs a Challenger.Are you up to it?

A tournament will start on next Sunday.In the meantime we need to find 4 members to fight off for the right to challenge the champion.

Why only 4?

This,I hope,will ensure that a new tournament will start every month.

How do you become one of those 4?

U2U me your entry.Answer this question In no more 250 words(Yes I will be counting)."What happened to the Marie Celeste?"Entries must be in before next Friday.I will confirm that I have received your entry so if you don't get confirmation I have not got your entry.Once all entries are in All entries will be posted here and assigned a letter.ie,Entry A,Entry B.So it does not matter who you are or how long you have been here you will be judged on your merits.

Who will Judge?

For the entry selection and the opening rounds a panel of seven judges will decide who has won.

Who are the judges?

The identity of the judges will be kept secret.Of the seven 2 will be senior staff members(supermod or above),2 will be junior staff members(moderator),and 3 will be respected board members.You,however,will only know them as Judge A,Judge B,ect.The final will be judged by you board members.

Do not enter if you can not complete the debate.This format also allows for a number of keen reserves who will be only too eager to prove that the judges got it wrong during selection.If you default you will not be considered again for some time.

If there are enough entries the next 4 will start the next debate.So don't worry if you are not chosen for the first debate.

To recap send a U2U to me in answer to the question "What happened to the Marie Celeste?" in no more than 250 words.

I've just had a reply from OIMDs he says "Bring 'em on!!"

How much of his taunting are you going to take?
Get your entries in!!

If you have any questions or queries here is the place to raise them.

Good luck!!

JB1

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 03:52 AM
link   
John Bull 1

That is a great structure.

I will look forward to being in the spectator squad and occasional cheerleader again.

The entry test is a brilliant idea. I hope plenty of people make the effort to pre-qualify. It will make a good impact on the quality of the debating.

I am going to assume that you are looking after the debate forum now (or is it only the structured monthly contest?). Reason for asking is there was an excellent debate between ktpr & Banshee, which is awaiting an outcome, and also ktpr was looking for a fresh contest, and you might U2U him/her on this initiative.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 04:06 AM
link   
OK'I'll look into that.Is it only a vote that must be set up??

Why only a spectator?If you qualify it is only 2 debates before the Title Contest.Of course qualification is anonomous.But that wouldn't bother you.Would it??

Grudge Matches are no problem.If anybody wants a grudge match U2U me.
But make sure you you have agreed with whoever you are debating with a debate topic.
Grudge matches will not take place at the same time as tournament matches.

Please feel free to ask any questions concerning the Tournament.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 04:24 AM
link   
John bull 1

It is neither fear of success nor fear of failure that deters me.

It is the fear that I will do exactly what happened with a serious debate in Year 10 of High School, wherein I was the ringleader who staged a meeting between all participants, completely scripting the debate like one of Banshee's wrestling matches.

We had two serious openers then a gradual tangential move in the logic of Speaker 3, followed by the introduction of more non sequitur than you could dig out of all the sunken planes and boats in the Bermuda Triangle, followed by rebuttals and concluding statements that left the audience of students and parents in stitches and the teachers mortified. The result was a draw, and a visit to the principal's office.

The topic started as something I don't remember, but by Speaker 3 (me) I twisted it to the abolition of the school uniform.

I would not want to debate me.

There are at least a dozen members (including ktpr, and new active members like quango, Mycroft, Jakomo) who should definitely give it a go.

Also Skadi, who is a pocket sized intellectual powerhouse.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 04:34 AM
link   
ktpr/Banshee

www.abovetopsecret.com...

A great debate, although it must have got a bit violent, Banshee suffering a broken rib.

Probably an 'incomplete' contest, no 3-count, no official count-out, ref's call.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 04:48 AM
link   
3 of the judges have accepted the position.When all 7 have been selected the first job will be to determine the winner of Ktpr/Banshee contest.

It will be a good dry run and allow those who have entered the contest to see how the judging will be done.

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 09:01 AM
link   
This may be taking it a bit far, but it might be good to post the debates under alphabetical puesdoynms.

Also, I find a 24 hour time format much more convient. Actually, next day by 8pm is much better for me. I am going to start working soon (I hope) and something to short would be difficult to manage. Please consider this time format change. (

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I did think very carefully about just that suggestion.In the end I decided that the initial selection would be anonymous but the contest would be in members names.It would get very complicated and those that qualify have the right to be recognised for doing so.

Rest assured the judges who have already been selected will judge debating ability and not who you are and those that will be selected will have the same qualities.

Good luck with your entry Ktpr.

PS I'll look into the time bit.

[Edited on 17-8-2003 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 11:45 PM
link   
guess I'm out of this one too, oh well.

XAOS

posted on Aug, 17 2003 @ 11:58 PM
link   
CAN YOU SMELL WHAT ONLYINMYDREAMS IS COOKING???

Finally... OIMD HAS COME BAACCCKKK... to the INTERNET!!!

Are you listening, BRUTHA???

IT's TRUE... IT'S TRUE...

and, as a non-WWF/WWE figure once said...

BRING THEM ON!!!!

[Edited on 18-8-2003 by onlyinmydreams]

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I'm new to the ATS debate format but very interested. From what I can tell though it is not structured like an actual forensics event. I am by no means saying that is bad, just noting.

Typically on college circuits, a resolution is given at the beginning of the year and teams have several months to prepare their arguments. They must present a case that solves the resolution and the negative must obviously show why that plan won't meet that resolution.

Fiat, disadvantages, advantages, topicality, counterplans....is any of this in play or is just make the best argument and counter argument?

[Edited on 18-8-2003 by kukla]

[Edited on 18-8-2003 by kukla]

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams
CAN YOU SMELL WHAT ONLYINMYDREAMS IS COOKING???

Finally... OIMD HAS COME BAACCCKKK... to the INTERNET!!!

Are you listening, BRUTHA???

IT's TRUE... IT'S TRUE...

and, as a non-WWF/WWE figure once said...

BRING THEM ON!!!!

[Edited on 18-8-2003 by onlyinmydreams]

Easy, OIMD....
Now you're treading in my territory.

As I'm not too good at this debate stuff, I'll cheer from the sidelines and spear those defeated. Is that cool?

-B.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Banshee is only going to do a RUN-IN?

Disappointment plus!

I thought she could manage this easily, broken rib and all, and deal to any of the wimps lining up.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Kukla,
I don't think that the subject matter you see on ATS lends itself to collegiate style debating... and, to be honest, I think the style we use allows us to explore our already far out ideas in unexpected -- and entertaining -- ways. At bottom, what we're really looking for are thoughtful discussions... those competitors who are illogical or don't research, in theory, should be eliminated, naturally, by the system...

Now... Onto building up my 'character'...

AHH, every good 'heel' needs a sexy woman by his side, right? Someone to distract his opponent from the ringside or devise a dirty trick and act it out when no one is looking...

So, which one of you ATS ladies wants to be my sexy bad girl sidekick? Who wants to be my Stephanie McMahon, my Chyna, my Lita?

Post below with your hottest photo... And I'll make my selection

OIMD

PS: Those of you who have never seen american wrestling probably think I've gone nuts

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 12:21 AM
link   
OIMD

I think Fry2, in drag, would be your best sidekick.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams

Now... Onto building up my 'character'...

AHH, every good 'heel' needs a sexy woman by his side, right? Someone to distract his opponent from the ringside or devise a dirty trick and act it out when no one is looking...

So, which one of you ATS ladies wants to be my sexy bad girl sidekick? Who wants to be my Stephanie McMahon, my Chyna, my Lita?

Post below with your hottest photo... And I'll make my selection

OIMD

PS: Those of you who have never seen american wrestling probably think I've gone nuts

Oooooh, you didn't go there with Chyna....
Man, now I'm pi$$ed.

And I'll SO pass on your star search. If I can hold my own against a man twice my size in that ring, I don't need to be holding any man up like some trophy!

(hehe. Good luck to everyone. Even you, OIMD, you misogynist you. *g*)
-B.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Gazrok, in his medieval king costume, would make a pretty good sidekick, too... But he'd be more of a sidekick for a good guy... Besides, as the CHAMP I should be able to indulge myself for a while... You know, limos, fast women, flights on the Concord, trashing hotel rooms, ambushing people in the locker rooms...

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Oooooh, you didn't go there with Chyna....
Man, now I'm pi$$ed.
-B.

Considering that Banshee could probably kill me in real life, I hope she realizes that I can't be responsible for material my writers have drafted for me...

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Refer topic entitled 'The Turnbuckle Post'.

The blurring of the apparently real life scandal with the scripted entertainment, is what makes professional wrestling, and ATS accounts of the corrupt Bush administration (including the stratospheric rise of ATS to become #1 site in Google searches for government conspiracies) what they are today.

I'm not sure what they are, though.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I apologize for my ignorance, I'm just now discovering the debate forum. Great start huh err...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join