It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Distracted? North Korea update..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Pyongyang, August 12 (KCNA)

A nuclear issue surfaced on the Korean peninsula as the U.S. has deployed nukes in south Korea and threatened the DPRK with them.

www.kcna.co.jp...

The Japanese reactionaries, he noted, have committed themselves with the U.S. not to rule out "economic sanctions," "sea blockade" and "preemptive attack" against the DPRK under the pretext of its "nuclear threat" and now are formally joining in the U.S. moves to blockade the DPRK.

www.kcna.co.jp...

And here's what happened during the blackout...

Aug 14, 5:38 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- After two days of talks, the United States, Japan and South Korea have agreed that North Korea must end its nuclear weapons program, the State Department said Thursday.

North Korea is approaching the negotiations with a tough public line. On Wednesday, a foreign ministry spokesman demanded that the United States commit to a nonaggression treaty and normalize ties with the North.

The official also rejected any early inspection of North Korea's nuclear programs. That goal was reaffirmed by the United States, Japan and South Korea in their meetings at the State Department this week.

Japanese reporters were told after the meeting that Tokyo intends to press North Korea to permit the return of families of those Japanese who were kidnapped decades ago for training as spies.

Powell has offered to put in writing assurances that the Bush administration does not intend to attack North Korea and have Congress note the assurance.

The reports suggested Powell's signal of written assurances was opposed by the Pentagon and members of Vice President Dick Cheney's staff.

Assistant Secretary of State James Kelly will head the U.S. delegation at the Beijing talks.

customwire.ap.org...

Looks like Cheney is getting rid of Powell, and could it really be true that we've already moved nukes into SK ?

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Well, to be honest, even if 'nukes' weren't placed in S.Korea or even Japan for that matter, the US has and would have the ability to launch a serious 'nuke' strike against N.Korea anyhow via: sea, air and or land based options.

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 12:29 PM
link   
You have a point-- maybe the nukes aren't what we should be focusing on at the moment:

N. Korea suspected of training hackers
Seoul
June 10 2003

Computers are rare and Internet access is almost non-existent for most people in North Korea. Yet the isolated country is suspected of training computer hackers for cyberterrorism, US and South Korean officials say.

www.smh.com.au...

NK training hackers? How vulnerable are we?

April 16, 1998

The secret exercise, known as "Eligible Receiver," proved that hackers could easily shut down the U.S. electric-power grid within days and "render impotent" the command-and-control elements of the U.S. Pacific Command, NSA officials said.

And we've been saturated with the news that we have an antiquated system! Today President Bush said:

Of course, we'll have time to look at it and determine whether or not our grid needs to be modernized. I happen to think it does, and have said so all along.

www.whitehouse.gov...

As of July 14, 2003 according to US Embassy report for Congress entitled, "Critical Infrastructure: Control Systems and the Terrorist Threat":

Some experts warn of a cascade event, where a terrorist is able to manipulatecontrol systems and cause catastrophic failure within an infrastructure. Cascadeevents can be very damaging, causing widespread utility outages.

www.fas.org...

So we're vulnerable to an attack, could this be North Korea's preemptive strike?

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 12:37 PM
link   
If I am correct in assuming thus, I believe a read a report/article that sayed that the Russians, Chinese, N.Koreans, and the US were "training" hackers.

Lets think about this a bit....if a nation could train hackers to say.....infiltrate a defense grid or system such as satellite communicatios, etc.....think of the havoc that would be caused. I remember reading another article mentioning that the Chinese would use hackers, etc. to take out or disable the GPS and communication satellites of the US.....think of the chaos that would encircle.

Good articles MK.

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Thanks! You're right, we're in the information age right now, after all. Plus that Blaster worm that had been shutting down different offices.... this is all quite a coincidence. Wonder who wrote the worm, and where the funding came from?

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I remember when Bush was running for president I told my hubby not to vote for him (he did anyways..pooh) that he would he the start of WWIII...I believe my psychic powers were fully tuned into what he is capable of.

[Edited on 15-8-2003 by Artemis]

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Artemis no offense but I hope both of us are wrong!

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I hope I'm wrong too!

[Edited on 15-8-2003 by Artemis]

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 02:41 PM
link   
What's all this with the "distracted" bs?

You've only been distracted because you haven't been paying attention.

And if anything the situation with NK is probably more relaxed than it has been for months. They have finally agreed to multiparty talks and the US has softened over it's non aggression stance.

Scaremongering because of a power strike? It would have made far more sense to hit the West Coast or Washington DC and not the East and Canada.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Hm.distractions. The British govornment also expelled a Saudi Intel officer, or something to that effect. North Korea and nukes?

And they supposedly arrested the guy the allege is nehind Bali and the Jakarta bombings.

Whats next now? Saudi intell, Jakarta/Bali bomber, North Korea. Any links?

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Well, now it looks like we have reason to believe the power outage could have been caused by a NK hacker. Something we don't know about is about to start kicking off, perhaps this was a setback to that plan?

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Well, now it looks like we have reason to believe the power outage could have been caused by a NK hacker. Something we don't know about is about to start kicking off, perhaps this was a setback to that plan?

That could be the case, or the plan will continue to be employed with the coverage of the blackout effectively saturating the media (as a form of misdirection).

new topics

top topics

join