It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: North Korea Says US Stealth Bomber Move Signals Nuclear War

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
North Korea claims the US is deploying F-117 Stealth aircraft to US air bases in South Korea as a prelude to a nuclear attack against the North.

www.spacewar.com
Seoul (AFP) Jun 02, 2005
North Korea on Thursday said the deployment of 15 US F-117 Stealth bombers to South Korea was part of preparations for a preemptive nuclear strike on the country.
The deployment announced by Washington last week was an unpardonable act, said the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the Fatherland, a state organization in charge of Korean affairs.

"We... bitterly denounce the deployment of Stealth fighter bombers in South Korea by the United States as a... provocation of a war against the North and the worst malicious challenge to the Korean nation," the committee said in a statement.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

How much longer can the US continue to provoke North Korea before Kim Jung Il decides to commit his country to a nuclear exchange with the US? I don't know about others but as for myself, this is scary stuff! I resent both the powers that be in Washington and the crazy leaders of N Korea playing nuclear one-ups-manship with the stakes being the possible destruction of the civilized world.

Did that sound too over the top? Sorry, I get a little strident
when I see stuff like this in the news, which is usually every few days now.

Seeker

Related News Links:
www.latimes .com
news.bbc.co.uk
www.cnn.com
www.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...
US ready to launch nuke attacks on hostile countries: Report

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
KJI has a pattern, rattle the sabers, get a payoff, starve his people.

nothing new here

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The F-117 is not a bomber, it is a fighter. You are probably talking about the B-2 or something.

EDIT: Hmm, it's also inaccurate in the article.

This is a B-2 stealth bomber:

external image

This is an F-117:

It can drop bombs but it's not a "bomber."

Zip

[edit on 6/3/2005 by Zipdot]

[edit on 6/3/2005 by Zipdot]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   

On August 31, 1998, North Korea launched what was initially believed to be a two-stage Taepodong 1 (TD1) missile eastward over Japan. The first stage of the missile fell into international waters roughly 400 miles east of the launch site, and the second stage flew over Japanese territory, splashing down in the Pacific Ocean approximately 930 miles from the launch site.
Article

"It appears that there was a test of a short-range missile by the North Koreans and it landed in the Sea of Japan," White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card said on CNN's "Late Edition."

The day before the apparent test, North Korea called President Bush a "hooligan" and said it expected no solution of the international standoff over its nuclear program during the current U.S. administration.

I would say that North Korea is provoking its neighbors. If we were to take military action against north Korea we do not need to have our stealth bombers based in South Korea. The US is actually pulling troops out of South Korea. How is that provoking North Korea?

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The F-117 is a Fighter but it is mainly used as a strategic bomber. It is to slow and cannot maneuver like a real fighter is supposed to so they use it as a bomber.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Worries me too

also have a look at thread: www.abovetopsecret.com... guys

feels to me like were building up to something.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
IMO reports like these are meant to keep Americans in a constant state of fear. Draw your own conclusions from that statement, but I believe that somewhere down the line it will end up with the American people giving even more power to their government while continuing to sacrifice more of their own liberties.

There's no way in hell that North Korea's missles even make it off the ground unless someone on the other side wants it that way. Bank on it!!!

Peace

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Interesting. Per someone at anotherforum, the South Korean press is reporting that

The KCNA emphasized that it was the fifth time since 1993 that the United States had deployed stealth bombers to South Korea.

So, technically, it can't be said to be any sort of 'escalation' from the norm.

Anyway, its a smart move. NK has nukes. North Korea Has Nukes. Or, at a minimum, most people think that they have them or are very close to having them. For the most part, all that hasn't happened is an actual test. So, given that, moving Stealth Ships to the region is necessary. if war breaks out, then the government there needs to be annihilated ('decapitation'), and the probable lauch sites need to be wiped out.

Besides, why shouldn't the US move super fighters to the border of an enemy that its at war with and who is threatening to use nukes against it??

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Besides, why shouldn't the US move super fighters to the border of an enemy that its at war with and who is threatening to use nukes against it??

When did we go to war with North Korea?

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
We also moved B-2s and F-117s into the Iraq arena, and I have yet to see us drop a nuke on them. The F-117 is a strategic bomber. With a threat of war, it is one of our best options to, as Nygdan said, decapitate the enemy.

BTW, despite its designation as an "F", the 117 is functionally a bomber. I've heard two reasons for this, the first was to keep espionage attempts from figuring out its role. Second, because ace pilots are disdanful of flying any kind of bomber, but the Air Force wanted their best to fly in it, happily. By designating it with an "F", somehow the pilot wouldn't realize they were on a bombing mission. (I lean towards the first being the actual reasoning, but I could be wrong).

As for the US trying to escalate things with N. Korea, what's the call? They do this often, suddenly start making threats, then we give them what they want, and they're quiet for a couple of years. Now we're not giving them what they want. That puts the blame on us? Is it your fault if you get mugged?

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Dr love I agree generally with your premise however

North Korea does have missles that get of the ground
"North Korea is getting ready to test a ballistic missile that could hit Alaska. If the warhead were small enough, it might reach Hawaii or even California. Iran is also assembling a new multi-stage missile which could reach most of Europe."

These were concerns raised in an article in The Economist a world wide respected if slightly bised to the 'Western World' Periodical the date of the publication in this world review? last week... last year? nah

nope the date July 31, 1999

Testing of rocket technology by both countries is ongoing succesfully and is nothing new.

IMO to be honest none of us really know the true capabilities even the intelligence agencies as shown in the Iraqi search for WMD

Also I feel that something that is not understood outside of the USA is that a lot of the world is scared. In addition I believe I am right in commentating that the 'Homeland Security Act' has already devolved power from the masses and democratic process to the President and his supporters

Mischeviously DefendingTheTruth

www2.gol.com...

[edit on 3-6-2005 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The war never ended, technically.

Link: www.afa.org...

Unlike World War II, the objective in Korea was not victory. Technically, the Korean War is not over. The fighting ended in an armistice, which continues today.

[edit on 6/3/2005 by titian]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I think this is to be prepared just in case somthing esculates. Its only right because of Kim jong's threats. And it also gives an added deterent factor to the whole thing. With Patriot missle batterys being deployed in Japan, its only right that we give South korea some kind of insurance factor, especially since we are pulling troops out of there as we speak.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucidvisions
I think this is to be prepared just in case somthing esculates. Its only right because of Kim jong's threats. And it also gives an added deterent factor to the whole thing. With Patriot missle batterys being deployed in Japan, its only right that we give South korea some kind of insurance factor, especially since we are pulling troops out of there as we speak.

Well that pretty much says it all. We're installing patriot batteries in Japan and pulling troops out of South Korea, moving bombers into range of NK. How much more escalation is needed?

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
So, let me get this straight.

NK claims to get the atomic bomb.
NK's leader threatens neighboring countries in so many words time and again.
NK launches a missile into international waters which just happen to be close to a neighboring nation he's threatened.

In accordance to defense agreements with Japan and SK, US sends hardware to assist against a first strike. Also sends in equipment specially designsed and combat proven for use against radar and AA installations.

And it's the *U.S.* that's escalating? How about "responding"? To succinctly worded and physically implemented threats to our allies?

Or should we disregard their concerns, and wait for condemnation for *not* assisting?

If the NK government does not want world and US reactions such as this, then he needs to:A) Quit making speeches threatening to attack anyone his paranoid mind sets as a threat. B) Quit launching missiles trying to see how close he can get to provoking an incident.

But then, that wouldn't be in China's best interest, would it?

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
While I don't think we are going to nuke North Korea I think this is a sign the President wants a military option in place if North Korea decides to test a nuclear weapon. F-117's and B-2's would be the first to go into North Korea if the President decides to order any type of air attack on North Korea. Their job would likely be too take out the more dangerous radar, Surface-to-Air-Missle, WMD/Nulcear Weapons, and Command & Control sites before the rest of the US aircraft began their bombing runs on other targets.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Actually, I wasn't referring to either side when I said 'escalating', I was referring to the obvious war preparations. If you want to take it as an accusation against America, so be it.

I notice North Korea isn't moving troops, bombers or anti-missile defenses into place so it must be America that's doing the escalating. No?

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
mythatsabigprobe, how do you know North Korea is not re-positioning its troops? Just a question since very little information actually comes out of North korea.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
That's true, I don't know that. I only note there's no reports of that happening and any military move NK's made in the past, makes headlines.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

I notice North Korea isn't moving troops, bombers or anti-missile defenses into place so it must be America that's doing the escalating. No?

North Korea does not need to move its troops or AAA. They are and have been in place for some time now. They are in a quick reaction mode. The basic plan would be to overrun the small SK and US forces there and take control of South Korea within a few days time and then sue for peace, making the unification of the two Koreas a main issue. Once embedded, the norths military would be extremely hard to extradite. Remember they have the worlds 3rd largest standing army. South Korea has 19 infantry divisions whereas North Korea has 80 divisions and brigades.

NK is dangerous. We should not take them lightly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join