It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amnesty says US runs gulag in cuba

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   
www.nj.com.../base/news-0/1117084662286130.xml&coll=1

They are claiming the us is holding these prisoners against the Geneva Convention. what they dont seem to realize is that GC doesnt apply to combatants not wearing uniforms etc. Therefore all the prisoners in cuba have no rights under the GC. So they can be held as long as the gov. wants.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
The term "gulag", used as it was in the Soviet Union, would imply concentration camps of forced labor. Those held in Guantanamo (and elsewhere) by the US are certainly not being used as forced labor -- unless they are an enforced "call center" for Dominoe's Pizza Delivery, this would explain why my pizza order is always wrong!

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I cant believe i only got 1 reply!!! thats lame. Come on people!

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Amnesty International is plain wrong. They do not like the Presidents policys and are trying to create bad press for the U.S. Living ay "Gitmo" is like a field trip to candy land compared to the Russian gulag.

Oh, Amnesty International...how low you have sunk...

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Now, I don't know the exact history of Amnesty International, and they do lots of good stuff, but, well, were they complaining about the Actual soviet gulags when they were around??

cjf

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boatphone
Amnesty International is plain wrong. They do not like the Presidents policys and are trying to create bad press for the U.S. Living ay "Gitmo" is like a field trip to candy land compared to the Russian gulag.

Oh, Amnesty International...how low you have sunk...

AI has made multiple complaints about Gtmo and the relationship to ‘unrestricted executive power’ in the US. Here is just one of the many arguments they do not like:

According to the administration, "the determination of who are enemy combatants is a quintessentially military judgment entrusted primarily to the Executive Branch." The executive, the executive argues, "has a unique institutional capacity to determine enemy combatant status and a unique constitutional authority to prosecute armed conflict abroad and to protect the Nation from further terrorist attacks. By contrast, the judiciary lacks the institutional competence, experience, or accountability to make such military judgments at the core of the war-making powers."
Reference

AI has had and continues to purport a problem with what it (as well as many others) considers an ‘unchecked executive power’ existing in the United States. By making bold claims and advocating various actions against the members of the US government, AI in the very least stands to gain a great amount of international publicity.

AI is not without its’ own agenda:
Criticism & AI's Contributions to Disinformation

Ironically, AI is currently broadly advocating the investigation and arrest of influential or ranking US officials while traveling abroad, oddly enough, by appealing to 'other' international governments to do so by “upholding their obligations under international law” (as is the case example given in the arrest of Pinochet referenced by AI’s own William Shultz).

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Now, I don't know the exact history of Amnesty International, and they do lots of good stuff, but, well, were they complaining about the Actual soviet gulags when they were around??

Are you Joking Man?

Who could really do anything to the Big Red Russian Bear at that point in time?

Guantanamo is not exactly like the Russian Gulag, considering that Stalin killed couple of millions in them - but its getting very close. Its the American Version of Russian Gulag.

Considering all of these statements written above, we can conclued, that America today represents such miltary superiority over the rest of the World, that they can "get away with anything" - just like Stalin did in his time of Ruling.

So - you are Right! Nobody stopped Stalin, and Nobody can stop the USA Today!

Cheers!

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

Guantanamo is not exactly like the Russian Gulag, considering that Stalin killed couple of millions in them - but its getting very close.
Cheers!

Are you Joking Man?

We arent even close to being a gulag!

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Are you Joking Man?

Why not?

You are Violating Basic Human Rights, that are in contradiction with the Geneva Convention.

Do you know how many people died in Guantanamo and Abu Gharib?

I didnt think so.

And neither do I.

So - what is the real difference between the US today and USSR in the time of Stalin and the gulags?

Both captured prisoners of War and did with them what they wanted.

Better for the Russians that they didnt take pictures - like the "Smart" marines in Gitmo did!

I mean, how dumb can you get? Torture these people, and then take photos about that?

Thats like, I come to kill somebody, and then take a photo with the body and my smiling face, pointing my thumb up!

[edit on 27/5/05 by Souljah]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Gitmo is a more democratized version of the Russion Gulag carefully created through legality; it's a more civil version, however, were it to come down to simply priniciples, it's uncivilized as it's been created to be unaccountable to the Geneva Convention. The U.S simply went around the law they tout as high most.

As for Amnesty, well, i'm not sure how much clout they had during Stalins bloodlust, but the fact remains that they are advocating human rights the world over now, and in a time where human rights can be violated without impunity under the guise of security, it makes some feel very content that there are a few not affraid to speak out.

Gito itself is an illegal institution as it's lease on Cuban soil is far over, however, the U.S loves to play bully and has been able to keep it open. In it's entirety, it's wholly illegal and unconstitutional, but, when we have such a high rate of terrorist attacks in the U.S., our basic freedoms can be wavered as to provide more executive powers to the President to fight it.

Hail emperor Bushpatine..

Deep

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

Are you Joking Man?

If you had read any of souljah's posts on other threads, you wouldn't waste your time responding to him. He's nothing but a shill for the islamofascists, and someone that would have you locked up in a REAL gulag if he only had the means to do it.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
If they are guilty, fine. Imprison them. If they are innocent (like the ones we released in the past because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time, or turned in falsely for reward money) let them go. But how will we know unless we give them a trial or charge them with a crime? I don't think anyone is advocating coddling terrorists but would rather see innocent people not be punished.

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   

If you had read any of souljah's posts on other threads, you wouldn't waste your time responding to him. He's nothing but a shill for the islamofascists, and someone that would have you locked up in a REAL gulag if he only had the means to do it

Was this required in this thread? I hardly think so, if you want to make personal remarks, take it somewhere else, this is hardly the atmosphere for such childish antics.

Deep

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
If you had read any of souljah's posts on other threads, you wouldn't waste your time responding to him. He's nothing but a shill for the islamofascists, and someone that would have you locked up in a REAL gulag if he only had the means to do it.

Talk about real Fascism.

Thanks for clearing things up Mate!

Cheers!

Keep up the Good Work!

EDIT: I bet You are the younger Brother of LA_Maximus, arent'chya?

top topics

join