It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S Abruptly Removes U.S Personnel From North Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The Pentagon has abruptly suspended its efforts to locate and repatriate the remains of U.S servicemen killed during the Korean War from North Korea. The suspension comes only one day after a previous announcment claimed the sucessful recovery of some remains. The Pentagon claimed the North Koreans had created an environment that jeapordized the saftey of the U.S Personnel.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - The Pentagon on Wednesday abruptly suspended U.S. efforts to recover the remains of American soldiers from North Korea, accusing the Koreans of creating an environment that could jeopardize the safety of U.S. personnel performing the work.

The work has been proceeding since 1996, resulting in the recovery of more than 220 soldiers' remains. Thousands more are still missing, and a large number of those are believed to be recoverable.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

My first reaction to this abrupt withdrawal is that an armed conflict is impending.

There was no mention of North Korea jeapordizing the U.S personnel as of yesterday but today they are all ordered out.

Why the sudden withdrawal? Is War imminent?

Is a North Korean attack impending?

[edit on 25/5/05 by subz]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
It can be a psy-op... In fact very likely. I don't think the hysteria has been at high enough levels in the US enough to start an attack.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I didnt mean the U.S attacking North Korea. I meant the other way around.

Not much news available yet. The abruptness of the withdrawal and lack of a detailed explanation have my spider sense tingling.

Herald Sun Article

yahoo! news article from yesterday

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
from the yahoo article,

"The United States is prepared to continue Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command humanitarian missions to locate, recover and repatriate the remains of Americans still missing in North Korea after they have created an appropriate environment," said a statement issued by U.S. Pacific Command, which overseas the missions.

I'm not sure I like the sound of " after they have created an appropriate environment".

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I agree, something is going on here. With the 60th aniversary of the North Korean government just around the corner and a suspect nuclear weapons test to go with it. As well as both sides voicing threats of pre-emptive attack I think this is a prelude.

Removing all U.S personnel from North Korea is what happens just before military conflict.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Maybe the Koreans are throwing chunks of radioactive material at the soldiers heads, or planting mines near the bodies and claiming that they've been there since the 50's.

Maybe they are just taunting and making fun of the Americans and the Americans just can't take the humiliation anymore.

Maybe the Koreans are stripping naked and eating dogs while the soldiers work.

(Just some ideas while we're all speculating.)

Zip

[edit on 25-5-2005 by Zipdot]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
found this

abcnews.go.com...

"The work had been proceeding since 1996, resulting in the recovery of more than 220 soldiers' remains and the payment of millions of dollars to the North Korean government for logistical support. "

"The overall environment that the North Koreans have created is not conducive to the effective operation of the missions, so there's a risk there and it's a force protection risk that we view as not ensuring the safest conditions for our recovery teams," Salata said. "

"The spokesman noted that the North Koreans do not permit U.S. personnel at the recovery sites to communicate with anyone outside of North Korea. This is a restriction that was agreed upon by both sides when they negotiated the terms of the current series of recovery missions. Salata could not say why the restriction is now deemed unacceptable. "

seems we had been working together, but no more.

[edit on 25-5-2005 by sangfroid]

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   

A spokesman, Lt. Cmdr. Jason Salata, said the decision to suspend operations was made Tuesday by the Defense Department. He said he could not say exactly what prompted the decision.

"This presents a force protection issue for us, and we want to ensure the safest conditions for our recovery teams," he said. "North Korea has, over the last several weeks, created an atmosphere and an environment unconducive to the continued presence of American personnel in North Korea." He said he could not elaborate.

Why the secrecy? If the North Koreans were being reckless and/or threatening you'd think the U.S would announce it to portray the North Koreans in a negative light.

new topics

top topics

join