It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something Strange Today .. Not sure where to post

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Let me start off by stating that I am a member that has been lurking in the shadows here for quite some time, reading and such, but haven't posted yet. So, be gentle with me, as this is my first post!

Seriously tho, something happened today about 12:30 PM (Sunday, May 8th, 2005), that really has me, my family, and a few other people I've talked to around my town (Northwestern tip of Alabama) wondering what happened.

I unfortunately don't know what forum to post this in, UFO seems to be the best place, since it sounded like it was in the sky. Well anyway, here goes:

Around the time I mentioned, I was in our house and heard what at first sounded like thunder. But, I am 100% sure it wasn't, as there wasn't a cloud in the sky, and no bad weather (not even a sprinkle) on the radar or weather forcast for miles. At any rate, it reverberated so loudly that it shook the house a little. Not much mind you, but enough to make me wonder what was going on.

I immediately went outside to see if it was something in the sky, but I didn't see anything. However, it did sound like it was in the sky. We pondered at what it was, and I even checked the USGS website to see if we had a recent earthquake, but it wasn't that either.

Friends and other family in town heard it too, but no one has any ideas of what happened.

SO, I may have posted this in the wrong forum, as it may not be ET at all, but I wasn't really sure the best place to post it.

Anyone have some advice or ideas as to what this could have been?

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It could have been a plane that recently passed by, thats the best I can do...

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Yea, I thought that could be at first, but the sound was louder at first, and then got a little softer, and as I said, only lasted about 15 seconds or so, at most.

I lived near an air base before and have heard many types of planes, and it sounded like nothing I've heard.

I appreciate your help though. Hopefully something will turn up.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It was probably a small jet doing a flyby. I thought the same thing when I heard some rumbling, I went outside and didn't see anything. The sound would come and go. It sounded like thunder, but lasted to long. Finally, I saw two fighter jets flying a low circular pattern, then all of a sudden, they flew straight up, and headed away. I have no idea what they were doing. It's very rare to see fighter jets, except for Labor day weekend we have airshows. Hope that helps.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Do you live around mountains? It may have been a thunderstorm echoing round the mountains!

It may have been a sonic boom, something travelling faster than the speed of light just above the earths atmosphere will create a loud thunder type noise. As the old concords are out, check to see if any rockets where recently launced. This maybe an explination?

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Thanks for your help.

No it wasn't a sonic boom, I've heard those before. It could have been a plane I suppose, but none I've heard before. The rocket explaination sounds more plausable, but no launch sites in my area.

Earth Angel - No, no mountains anywhere.. And, no thunderstorms for over 100 miles away...

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Your whole town is crazy??? My two cents. Hey anythings possible

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeyTheBear

Hehe.. that's entirely possible!

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeyTheBear

I know the feeling. I sometimes think my whole town is crazy and i am the only sane one...or maybe its the other way around.

Seriously though, I dont think it was a plane. You might check the paranormal forum for info on strange loud noises.

Off topic: Can anyone tell me how to use the search function...sorry, I'm new...this is my first post btw.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
How about a sonic boom? Or train?I live near a well used rail line and can hear some strange sounds at night.

Roper

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
No trains here. And no, it wasn't a sonic boom. I've heard many of them living previously in Ridgecrest, Calif. (next to the CLNWC).

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haliberd
Off topic: Can anyone tell me how to use the search function...sorry, I'm new...this is my first post btw.

Welcome Haliberd, you could go to Board Questions & Business and venture through the stickies (threads with green arrows) for frequently asked questions like this. If you start an Introductions thread and tell us a little about yourself, the Mods will give you links on what you need to get started. Cheers.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Someone may have heard something similar here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
It was probably a small jet doing a flyby. I thought the same thing when I heard some rumbling, I went outside and didn't see anything. The sound would come and go. It sounded like thunder, but lasted to long. Finally, I saw two fighter jets flying a low circular pattern, then all of a sudden, they flew straight up, and headed away. I have no idea what they were doing. It's very rare to see fighter jets, except for Labor day weekend we have airshows. Hope that helps.
The same happend to me. One fighter jet flying no so high at slow speed. Very loud noise that come and go. I think is a way to fly at slow speed or maybe the afterburn of the jet.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I can't claim to have heard anything sounding like what is reported here; but I do have one question: When you heard these noises, did your ears pop at all (the sound your ears make when changing elevation)?

The only reason why I ask is because when I was in Kentucky, in and around the military base, i'd have an occasional instance where my ears would pop rapidly anywhere from 3-6 times. Didn't hurt, no side effects (err...yet) and no explaination on anyone's part.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Northwestern Alabama?

In Huntsville, there's Redstone Arsenal which has both the US Army's primary research facility on missles as well as NASA' s Marshall Space Flight Center.

At MSFC they test full-scale rocket engines.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Theres a thread over in the paranormal section about spirits colliding and they make loud noises, but it sounds totally ridiculous to me.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
It was the stealth. They are really cool, but if you have never experienced one flying over, it can be really disturbing. I live in Missouri. The Stealths fly out of whiteman AFB over our house, and make a big loop around the states then fly over seas. That night there were 2 of them. The time and date you give, matches, so I would just assume it was the stealth. It is pretty wicked, you dont hear them until they are right on top of you. All of a sudden it is like thunder, there have been a few times where everything on our walls shook. Before you know it they are gone and you cant hear them anymore.

well, hope this helped.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Possible explanations:

1. Sonic boom

2. Something exploded far away

3. One of your neighbors used dynamite to build a new pond

4. Thunder

5. Ordinance test from that APG nearby

6. Dump truck (very loud boom when the gate swings out then slams into the bed of the truck)

7. Some other natural event that causes a loud boom.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Yeah, while I have not had any personal experiences myself, I bet it's a low-flying jet, perhaps two that went over your town.

it's all good

top topics

<<   2 >>

join