It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: World Pressure Needed To Stop N. Korea Nuke Test

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
UNITED NATIONS Says that North Korea may be planning to test a nuclear weapon. This prompted the United Nations atomic watchdog group on Friday to ask world leaders to urgently pressure the reclusive state to stop. When asked what the effect of a North Korean nuclear test would be, Mohamed ElBaradei told reporters: "There will be disastrous political repercussions in Asia and the rest of the world. I think there could be major environmental fallout, which could lead to dissemination of radioactivity in the region."

www.cnn.com
A U.S. defense official in Washington said U.S. spy satellites images had shown what may be preparations for an underground nuclear test, but he warned that this also might be an elaborate ruse by the North Koreans.

The images showed a vast hole being dug, then refilled, at a possible test site at Kilju in northeastern North Korea, signs consistent with underground test preparations, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The satellites also detected viewing stands set up some distance from the hole, possibly for North Korean government officials to watch any nuclear test, the official said.

The head of the U.N.'s International Atomic Energy Agency, Mohamed ElBaradei, said the situation was urgent and called on all leaders in contact with Pyongyang to use their influence to stop the reclusive state from detonating a nuclear bomb.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In recent days tentions have been rising. North Korea can even be seen in satelite photos filling a hole it dug that is believed to have Nuclear weapons. And it's even building a stand far enough away for dignitaries to view the blast from a safe distance. What is going to happen will this bring about the sanctions. When will we take some action other than the failed talks.

[edit on 6-5-2005 by digitalassassin]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Unfortunately,
North Korea has stated that any steps taken by the US or the UN will be considered acts of war and it will take appropriate action.
North Korea is in such dire straits economically, that is really does not have too uch to lose and everything to gain.
Kim Il Jong is just crazy enough to do this.
Hopefully though, they will only continue their saber rattling.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I heard that the other day, but when they say it will consider any sanctions a " Declaration of War" what will they do. Will they attack South Korea. Will they hit us in the Pacific north-west. What will they do.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I wonder if the French government will be involved in this "international pressure" to be brought to bear on North Korea. That would be amusing after their underwater nuclear explosion tests at Mururoa Atoll in the mid-90's. At least NK has the balls to do it on their own soil.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I don' think the French will be involved. They are not even in the talks now.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
story.news.yahoo.com...

NBC television, without citing sources, said the US military has drawn up plans for a possible preemptive strike against North Korea should Pyongyang appear ready to test a nuclear weapon.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
not that i realy want to see contries like north korea and iran have nuclear devices. but realisticaly why not? why should ANY country not have the same capabilities of anyone else?don't even bother with arguments about countries trying to invade other countries. both of the biggest (to my knowlage, i could be wrong), nuke arsenal countries have invaded others with no realy good reasons. that being the soviate union and the united states.

the mental states of leaders can't count either. all countries end up with moronic leaders, and leaders of doubtfull mental sanity. stability nope the sssr collapesed and still has nukes. "the good guys" how many think isrial or many of the old sssr are "good guys"? seems to me that it is an all or nothing propposition. and again in all honest who would even believe that any country that currantly have nukes would realy get rid of them all and not make more? or even that countries that don't currantly have nukes won't try to gain an "edge" by building some? as someone once said "once the cat's out of the bag it's impossible to put it back".

we might as well let everyone have their "toys" just as so many others already have them. after all if one can threaten a nuke strike everyone should be able to say "try it and i'll just nuke you back". actualy it is probably the best deturant arround.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   

NBC television, without citing sources, said the US military has drawn up plans for a possible preemptive strike against North Korea should Pyongyang appear ready to test a nuclear weapon.

Words cannot express how insane that would be. No sources quoted hopefully means that this is complete BS. I'm speechless.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I'm speechless too. This is getting crazy. So now if they even attempt to test a nuke its war.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
the realitive question is: just how many wars does the us want to fight at once? so far we have iraq. on top of that the possibility of north korea and iran ironicaly both over nuclear isues.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
What are the chances of North Korea and Iran working together? I mean is it even a possiblity? Do they have any relationship?

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Let them test all they want. They've been in violation of these treaties and others for a long time.

They say they have 2 nukes, or at least that's what they said a year ago. If they only had 2 nukes, and then they tested 1, then they'd only have one left.

Kim Jong Il is just acting like a little kid, doing extactly the opposite of what he is told to do by the responsible adults in this situation. I liken this talk of his to someone threatening suicide for attention. If he were to launch a strike, that would be suicidal, but I don't think he wants to die. I think he's just a cowardly little child looking for some sympathy.

We should just ignore him and concentrate what effort we have left after Iraq on the real threat as I see it, which would be Iran. They need to be a glass factory.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
it is always a possibility. the enimy of my enimy is my friend. it just seems that the us is trying to be the worlds police force. and in this case the police also make up the rules and acts as judge jury and exicutioner. like i said before if some have nukes why can't others? all this type of thinking has done is create a "if i have nukes, i'm a member of the big-boy club of nations" thinking. the prohibition of nukes has just made countries want them more. prohibiton-more wanted hmm interesting.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I find it a bit funny that at the same breath some people talk about how Kim Il is a child and at the same time talks about how Iran must be turned into glass. Like from a mouth of an angry teenager

[edit on 7-5-2005 by Samiralfey]

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I don't know what they will do. However, I keep getting this image in my mind of NK getting in boats and sailing to the US to try and attack us on our land. What a laugh that would be.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Hold on a sec, dig a big hole and fill it in?....Can someone please explain this kind of testing to me?

When the french tested at the Atoll, they drilled into it lowered the nuke into the bore and detonated. Same with the Nevada tests. What is this hole digging and filling business? If there is a nuke at the bottom, thats alot of flying shrapnel and fall out....what has this got to do with a test? Sounds like a lot of sh** to me. Im no expert on it, how is this part of a test?

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 06:43 AM
link   
It's not like you excavate a huge hole and fill it back in - you tunnel down to a safe distance, place the device, and refill the tunnel with earth, rock, concrete, and mortar. That's what nuclear experts have determined from the photos and confirmed that this is consistant with a nuke test.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
If the North Koreans are going to follow the model of the Old USSR then Americans and other Western countries will have reoccurring headaches for potentially many years. Learning by doing is important for everything and we have a history of knowedge of how to handle crises relatively precisely. Let us all pray for a peaceful world.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Well the report says a "vast" hole, which, unless it's a mistake on the part of the reporter or "unnamed" source, implies a wide area. This doesn't seem consistent with underground nuclear testing procedure. A detailed explanation here:

www.globalsecurity.org...

A few possibilities:

One, we're going to be shown an open-cut mine or something and told it's crazy Kim's "nukular" test site.

Two, the Korean's don't know what they're doing and they're using a wide pit instead of drilling a shaft.

Three, it's a ruse by Kim.

Four, it's a ruse by Washington to keep the world focused on N.Korea. Dance, my puppets, dance.

Keep in mind that NK is the last piece in the puzzle to provide a North Pacific defense gridlock around China. Don't deceive yourself that Washington is pressuring NK because of concerns about "world peace and stability". Who stands to gain?

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace

A few possibilities:

One, we're going to be shown an open-cut mine or something and told it's crazy Kim's "nukular" test site.

Two, the Korean's don't know what they're doing and they're using a wide pit instead of drilling a shaft.

Three, it's a ruse by Kim.

Four, it's a ruse by Washington to keep the world focused on N.Korea. Dance, my puppets, dance.

Keep in mind that NK is the last piece in the puzzle to provide a North Pacific defense gridlock around China. Don't deceive yourself that Washington is pressuring NK because of concerns about "world peace and stability". Who stands to gain?

Nice summary. In war deception is everything. If one assumes the US is deceiving, then it would appear a strike against NK is imminent. If one assumes NK is deceiving, the game of cat and mouse goes on. We'll know soon enough.

[edit on 7-5-2005 by Romeo]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join