It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions about The Necronomicon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Hey guys,

Ive heard of the necronomicon before and have always wondered what it is about..... the history of where and who it came from and what it contains...that kind of stuff. Someone on here said it contains some really eery stuff which i kinda gathered already. Im not intrested in being involved in anything that has to do with it since im christian but i just really like learning about things. So if anyone can tell me their thoughts, views knowledge about The Necronomicon i'd really appreciate it.

Kind Regards,
Digital Grl

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   

H. P. Lovecraft is a master of Gothic horror and the occult manuscript Necronomicon which he refers to in several of his stories is a literary invention. All works purported to be translations of the Necronomicon are also works of fiction. However Lovecraft drew his inspiration from real sources which go back thousands of years.

Pretty good site here. It's been blown up into something "real" by those who believe that Anton LaVey actually had a fully functioning, well- organized organization. A good read, but totally fiction.

[edit on 4/12/2005 by eaglewingz]

Cug

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
From a story about the Occult happenings in N.Y. City centering around an occult bookstore in the 70s'

Into this bubbling swamp of spiritual fecundity stepped Peter Levenda, aka "Simon." Charming, soft-spoken and aloof, well-versed in all aspects of occult theory and practice, he eased his way to the center of the scene. The Necronomicon was a team effort. Herman provided the sponsorship, while the design and layout were the work of Jim Wasserman of the OTO, a raving cokehead from Jersey named Larry Barnes whose daddy had the production facilities and a fellow who called himself Khem Set Rising (who also designed the sigils). The text itself was Levenda's creation, a synthesis of Sumerian and later Babylonian myths and texts peppered with names of entities from H.P. Lovecraft's notorious and enormously popular Cthulhu stories. Levenda seems to have drawn heavily on the works of Samuel Noah Kramer for the Sumerian, and almost certainly spent a great deal of time at the University of Pennsylvania library researching the thing. Structurally, the text was modeled on the wiccan Book of Shadows and the Goetia, a grimoire of doubtful authenticity itself dating from the late Middle Ages.

"Simon" was also Levenda's creation. He cultivated an elusive, secretive persona, giving him a fantastic and blatantly implausible line of bull# to cover the book's origins. He had no telephone. He always wore business suits, in stark contrast to the flamboyant Renaissance fair, proto-goth costuming that dominated the scene. He never got high in public.

[[Snip]]

Certain theories have it that even a bogus (or, to be kind, synthetic) grimoire will work if it is internally consistent, but that means following the rules to the letter. Simon's Necronomicon contains a manual of self-initiation in the form of a series of "gates" that are to be "walked." Following the instructions given in the book, walking these gates should take just shy of a year.

Full text is here. www.abrasax.net...

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
SO basically its just some story some guy wrote?? Is there spells in it or something? why do people think it is so erry and evil?

Thanks for your posts by the way

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Also when i looked at that link you gave me they mention something called the book of enoch? now i know in the satanic bible by anton levy there is a thing in there called the enochian keys...is that related to the book of enoch? now i guess i have questions about 2 books now LOL. So if anyone knows what the book of enoch is about let me know

THanks again,

DIGITAL GRL

Cug

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   
The Book of Enoch is one of the apocryphic books of the bible. It's one of the main sources of information relating to Angels.

Enochian magick is a system of ceremonial magick based on the evocation and commanding of various spirits. It is based on the 16th century writings of Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley, who claimed that their information was delivered to them directly by an angel so they named it after the book of Enoch. Enochian was used by the Golden Dawn who were one of the main influences of modern ceremonial magick.

Anton LaVey of the Church of Satan took the Enochian keys and "re-translated" them to better fit in with his system.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
"The Book of Enoch is one of the apocryphic books of the bible. It's one of the main sources of information relating to Angels"-posted by Crug

Geez, im christian and i didnt know that and i consider myself to be very knowledgable of my religion ...but you mention that it one of the apocryphic books..which is probably why im not familiar with the book specifically because im not catholic...im protestant so we dont acknowledge the apocrypha..we only use the 66 books within the bible itself.

So in this book of enoch when it mentions angels does it talk about demonic ones as well?

THanks again guys.

Kind regards,

DIGITAL GRL

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

[edit on 10/01/2004 by DigitalGrl]

Cug

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DigitalGrl
"The Book of Enoch is one of the apocryphic books of the bible. It's one of the main sources of information relating to Angels"-posted by Crug

Geez, im christian and i didnt know that and i consider myself to be very knowledgable of my religion ...but you mention that it one of the apocryphic books..which is probably why im not familiar with the book specifically because im not catholic...im protestant so we dont acknowledge the apocrypha..we only use the 66 books within the bible itself.

So in this book of enoch when it mentions angels does it talk about demonic ones as well?

The Catholics don't accept the Book of Enoch, the only ones that I am aware of that do are the Ethiopian Orthodox. I forgot to mention that parts of the Book of Enoch are also found in the Dead Sea scrolls.

My memory may be rusty but one of the main storylines of the Book of Enoch is something like this.

There were fallen angels that were messing around with women making half angel babies. These babies became evil Giants that basically destroyed the earth. That really pissed God off. The angels asked Enoch a good and righteous man (Grandfather to Noah) to intercede on there behalf. God said no going and smited the earth (Noah's Flood) The spirit's of these giants who died became the demons.

The rest of the book are accounts of Enoch's visions of God and tells of the Orders of Angels among other things.

[edit on 13-4-2005 by Cug]

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   
From what I gather the Necronomicon is a complete work of fiction created by H.P. Lovecraft. The book described by Lovecraft was origionally written by the mad Arab Abdul Al-Hazared in 730 AD and then apparently translated by the Elizabethan mystic John Dee.

It's a shame it never existed really, early Arabian mysticism would be a fascinating subject.

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
well thanks to you guys' help i got online the other night and read some of the book of enoch. Omg there is some crazy stuff in there LOL! It was really an interesting read though. Especially the part where he tells of all the specific demons names and their jobs. I dont by into it at all but a VERY interesting read nontheless.

Kind Regards,
Digital Grl

P.s. If anyone esle has anymore info on stuff like this i'd love to hear it

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
As has been stated before-

The Necronomicon was a made up book featured in H. P. Lovecraft works. It was never even a real fictitious book, just random excerpts. Then in the 70's, peole figured they should actually write one.

Right now, there are probably several 'Necronomicons" out there. Some people may have actually researched into occult myth and magical practices to write them. But The Necronomicon, from Lovecraft's work, is complete fiction.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I've go a copy of the Necronomicon in my hand right now.

Avon Books
Copyright 1977 by Schlangekraft, Inc.
Library of Congress Catalog Number: 79-56778
ISBN 0-380-75192-5
218 pages
softcover

You should be able to find it on Amazon with that info

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I ran across it in media play one time. Picked it and was like "woah what is this?!?!" i was tempted to buy it but decided not to. Do you think a college library would have a copy or do you think it is one of those banned books?

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   
>>93 93/93

Cug

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by siriuslyone
>>93 93/93

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   
>>First contacted in early 1918 by Crowley in his Amalantrah Working (N.Y. N.Y.) where he claimed to draw his portrait "from real life". But otherwise Crowley never wrote much more than a few paragraphs about him.

Kennth Grant's Typhonian O.T.O. has created a "cult of Lam" and from my understanding they consider Lam not to be a single entity but a class of beings AKA the grey aliens.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
There is some truth in Fiction and some Fiction in truth.

[edit on 26-4-2005 by The Drifter]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
If memory serves, the Necronomicon was not "written by HP Lovecraft" but was referred to in many of his tales. The Necronomican, Miskatonic University, Great Cthulhu, and Abdul Alhazred are all figments of Lovecraft's mind, sort of like Chewbacca the Wookiee and R2D2 the twittering robot in "Star Wars".

But I suppose the Necronomicon, like Chewie and R2D2, took on a life of its own, which is why someone looking for a quick buck made one up and took advantage of all the Lovecraftian PR

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Just ordered the/a book on it. Can't wait to get it... did buy it second hand though hope its not carrying anything from a past owner. Should have thought of that actually. I've got a fireplace anyway, should burn well if it turns bad on me

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I am a big fan of Lovecraftian stories and the Cthulho mythos. Lovecraft created a number of fantastic (yet fictional) "ancient books" which he used in his stories as the basis of facts regarding man's primitive and fragmented knowledge of "The Old Ones".

The Necronomicon is but one of these vile (again, only fictional) tomes. Some of the others were The Unaussprechlichen Kulten, the Cultes des Goules, De Vermis Mysteriis, the Cthaat Aquadingen, and Liber Ivonis.

A google search on any of these titles may start you on a (fictional) journey into places you never may of dreamed of.....................

top topics

<<   2 >>

join