It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists 'to clone mammoth'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Dont know that this will be a true mammoth, but I hope they make it work.

Russian and Japanese scientists are hoping to clone mammoths from what they think are the legs of the extinct animal discovered in Russia's northern Yakutsk region.
Specimens of the animal discovered last year have arrived at Kinki University's Gifu Science and Technology Centre in western Japan.

"The bone marrow, skin and muscle specimens, frozen in nitrogen liquid... look fine. We first have to confirm whether these are really of a mammoth," said the centre's president, Akira Iritani.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Sorry, I didn't bother to read your link. I did read that it would be virtually impossible to clone a mammoth because nobody has the complete DNA chain of the mammoth, only large portions of it. So, probably some deformed thing will pop out of the host elephant and die shortly, if it is not still born.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Thats a pretty cool idea. I do agree with Freddie's observations on a complete mDNA strand but the article does mention that the procedure stands a 80-90% chance of success. And in light of the many, many Mammoths that have been found, they should have some mDNA pretty close to being complete.

I am a little wary, as I have always commented on cloning, that this is opening the so-called "Pandora's Box" and to continue to mettle with "cloning issues will oneday backfire on us.....

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I hate to say it, but I think a part of me would be thrilled to see one of these extinct species at a zoo or something. But yes, it is definitely a slippery slope with the cloning.

How many people think that certain factions have been cloning people for years?

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I am sure people are currently actively trying to clone humans, but I doubt they have had much success, judging by the limited success of cloning other mammals.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Personally I would rather see tham clone a dodo bird, those things looked so awesome. But seriously I believe that while it is an interesting proposition, I think that it is wrong for humans to start completely meddling around with cloning of large organisms. Things could go too bad, too quick.

Didn't any of these people see Jurassic Park?

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Didn't any of those guys see Jurrasic Park?

This just in: "Hawaiin military base taken over by dinosaurs, we presume the rest of the islands to be taken over by the end of the month."

Headline in a few weeks. I have nothing against brining old animals back from extinction. What I do have wrong with it is that we don't have enough resources and food to take care of the ones we have. Oh well. I will enjoy it if they bring it back. I would also enjoy it if they bring dinosaurs back. Im sort of on the fence on this topic.'

Nightwalker

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I think it would be amazing to see it cloned, but it its a touchy subject.
Once again science vs morale.
Deep

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightwalker
This just in: "Hawaiin military base taken over by dinosaurs, we presume the rest of the islands to be taken over by the end of the month."

Oh #, yeah!?

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Jurassic Park anyone?

I hope this works!
I mean... Mammoths are cool!

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I personally am one of the few pro-actives for cloning.

Seeing as the mammoths aren't extremely old and the nature of the environment they lived in allows for the recovery of full specimens, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see these cloned in the near future.

Even if there are gaps in the mammoth genome, the DNA of an elephant is most likely very closely related allowing for the two to be sequenced together.

Cloning dinosaurs, well that is in my opinion impossible and never going to happen. The sheer amount of negative factors is extreme.

Forgot to mention, the attempted (possibly successful) cloning of humans is almost undoubtedly happening at this time. There are far too many secretive laboratories out there doing genetic testing.

[Edited on 21-7-2003 by SimonGray]

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 01:39 PM
link   
They already have done similar with "Dolly" the sheep didnt they? or have I got my wire's crossed, again?

But then should we play around with "Mother Nature"?

Its like these "Designer Babie's" people are wanting to have as well now, picking whether they want a boy or girl? Some people cant have any children, so they should be grateful for being able to have children! (but then thats only my opinion)

blackwidow

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightwalker
[ I would also enjoy it if they bring dinosaurs back. Im sort of on the fence on this topic.'

Nightwalker

If they ever do, you'd better hope its a tall fence.

new topics

top topics

join