It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinions on the Best MA.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
Ash

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I am about to head out for the evening but wanted to start a little discussion on something. Some will have no opinion on this topic but I know some will, so throw some out here.

What, in your opinion, is the most well rounded and practical Martial Art.

I know I am pretty new here but plz don't flame I was just bored

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 04:36 PM
link   
For many years I was involved with Tae Kwon Do.
We dabbled with elements of Kung Fu as we had quite a few students around that previously studied that come to our school. One of our instructors had a karate background so I saw a little bit of that also. For me there's nothing like Tae Kwon Do. If I ever resume studying martial arts, it would have to be TKD.

We were involved with tournaments; true TKD tournaments were way better, imho, than say a 'karate' tournament. I remember how excited we all were to see it introduced as an Olympic sport in Seoul in '88

I think we've discussed martial arts before here, feel free to search for some earlier threads

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 06:26 PM
link   
when i was young i did a little tae kwon doe, however when i got to be 12 my father enlisted me in a ninjitsu class and that was far more to my liking. i also did a little judo when i was in high school, they teach you how to be unmovable and since i was on the wrestling team it helped out with the opponent not being able to throw me around. i don't know that there really is a superior form of all around martial arts, it really depends on what you are doing, and what you intend to do. for me my favorite is still ninjitsu.

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Origami is vastly underestimated.

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Hap Keido would be the most rounded MA. Will take most average students 6-7 years to gain a black belt.

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Jeet Kune Do.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Hmm...well rounded as in simplicity or as in most flexible?

Kung fu (easiest to learn).

Shaolin Kung Fu (12 years to learn just how to use the hammers).

In my opinion Shaolin Kung Fu is the most well rounded martial art.

It encompasses most other fighting styles (in fact being based off Kung Fu it is akin to the parent of almost all fighting styles).

It also encompases the art of power...something most fighting styles rarely teach.

4 types of power.

1) Tui Li (Pushing power): The art of pushing, takes no skill, and causes little if any harm.

2) Baofa Li (Explosive Power): Stronger, more like punching someone in the face.

3) Qun Li (Inch Power): Explosive power, but only starting an inch from your opponent without drawing back your hand. If you've ever seen Bruce Lee...lol

4) Tou Li (Penetrating power): Hardest to develope, your hand touching your opponent, you can cause your force to penetrate his body, the area your hand was on will look unharmed, but his back-side will be severly bruised from internal bleeding. (There are several historical accounts of this, all tied to Shaloin Monks).

Shaolin Kung Fu involves two forms of fighting.

1) Empty-handed fighting: Involving no weapons.

2) Open-handed fighting: Involving weapons. It is called "Open-handed fighting" because the monk trains to use the weapon as though he were fighting with no weapon...as though his hand were open.

Shaolin Monks for ages have toughened their bodies such that they could bend bronze swords against pressed directly against their bellies.

They harden their heads when they are young by acting as a battering ram, their compatriots aiding in the opening exersise by bashing them against objects of verying strength until they can tollerate it.

So in my opinion, Shaolin Kung Fu not only encompases the art of Kung Fu (circular martial arts), but advances in many broad directions, which has made it the most advanced martial arts the world has ever seen.

There is no doubt, that the Shoalin Monks were unbeatable by most any other opponent.

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Jeet Kune Do.

regards
seekerof

By far!

Aikido is the BEST for defensive fighting.

Jujutsu, Gracie style to be exact.

Knowing these two arts will make one nearly perfectly rounded. I know the above and Bushido, which I learned from my Aikido, Sensai.

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Tai Chi
non offensive
fast or slow
young or old
meditative or defensive action

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Yes but all these are encompassed by Shaolin Kung Fu.

More Chi. TRAIN HARDER!

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 09:51 PM
link   
www.shaolintempel.at...

Best martial arts experts ever

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Freemason has a point. But I would like to point out that much of what they do, in the way of breaking force and pain tolerance is much akin to illusion.

For any fighting style that is giong to kick ass in any confrontation, without explosive weapons (guns) thai kick boxing, will win hands down. Boxing is another disipline that would deal with most attackers. I don't care much for the coreographed B/S that hollywood has to offer. Anyone with any pubroom, streetfighting experience will tell you that when in a fight, the best thing to do is either kick, so as to take the knees out of the opponent or kick him in the nuts. Streetfighters will come at you with a barrage of combination punches most missing any target. Best defence in this situation is a good straight left jab that hopefully will misdirect the attackers attention so you can unleash a right hook, uppercut, or haymaker. Then kick his knees out or pulverise his balls. All else fails then the fetal position is the best defence in some cases.

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 11:37 PM
link   
oh. now I was expecting a thread on the best Masters of Arts degree. guess I'll have to live with my major without feedback from the ATS crew

posted on Jul, 18 2003 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MorningtonCrescent
oh. now I was expecting a thread on the best Masters of Arts degree. guess I'll have to live with my major without feedback from the ATS crew

======================================
Boston Univ has a very good program from personal experience

tut

Ash

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Jeet Kune Do.

regards
seekerof

I myself have studied JKD. Under a Instructor certified by Dan inosanto. Even studied with Dan himself, this man is tough as they come. Have studied with Bob bass as well (instructor in Machado JJ). I love this art not because it is an art but because it is the epitimy of bruce lee's philosophy.

"take what is usefull and disgard all else" BL

Big thumbs up on Thai as well. This is a large portion of the core of jkd, as well as numerous other arts. Have seen some serious stuff from some serious people in the world of Jkd as well as any style of JJ.

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I don't see how you can really be "taught" Jeet Kune Do, (This is Bruce Lee's art you're speaking of...?) because while yeah there are some instructors and books on it Bruce Lee believed his art was the art of "Fighting for the moment."

And essentially is learning how to think in a fight, rather than "they do this so I do that."

Which in effect makes it less of a martial art....

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeMason
I don't see how you can really be "taught" Jeet Kune Do, (This is Bruce Lee's art you're speaking of...?) because while yeah there are some instructors and books on it Bruce Lee believed his art was the art of "Fighting for the moment."

And essentially is learning how to think in a fight, rather than "they do this so I do that."

Which in effect makes it less of a martial art....

Jeet Kune Do is not a "true" Martial Art in the sense of "true." And I can also agree with your premise FM, but Jeet Kune Do is indeed a "taught" art. Take for example both Jackie Chan and Jet Li (Lei)....they both study Wushu. Wushu is beautiful and acrobatic and personally IMHO, mainly studied for the movies hehehe, but it, none-the-less is a art. Jackie Chan later realized that Wushu would not be great for fighting (self-defence) so he studied Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do. This 'art' is still one of the most effective fighting methods today.
Steven Segal studies Aikido -- the art of using your opponents energies against himself/them. Jeet Kune Do is not pretty but it is simply blunt and effective; basically a "street-fighting" martial art.

Your correct in one sense but I think incorrect in the other. It is diffently a 'art' and is, respectfully, 'taught'.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Some of these Aikido videos are incredible:

www.aikiweb.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Krav Maga. Very effective, easy to learn.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jul, 19 2003 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I used to study Tae-Kwando, but my dojo master was kinda dumb so my parents pulled me out and restarted me under a different master in Shotokahn. Very precise, very powerful. No need for those fancy butterfly kicks in Tae kwando..

I go up for my thrid degree black bel trials in September.

Tassadar

<<   2 >>

join