It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turd-blossom, insult or badge of honor?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Ed, likes to use the word turd-blossom in most of his posts. I first heard it from Rant but my dictionary did not have it. Does it mean a blooming piece of sh.t or does it mean a once upon-a-time, turd(conservative) becoming an all enlightening blossoming liberal? If it is the later then Ed, why would you compliment these self righteous know-it-all's?

[edit on 14-3-2005 by Reaganwasourgreatest]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Previously not knowing the full gamut of contextual nuance stemming from a charge of "turdblossomry" myself, I just conducted an exhaustive 5 minute comparative historical linguistics selected etymology survey, got bored, and made up the following...

Once merely a southern colloquial literally referring to the flowering weeds springing up from fields mined in cow manure, the use of turdblossom took on new meaning (circa 1950) as applied to fantastical lies sprung from nuggets of truth (esp. from children).

Note however, prior to this widening of use, the underlying premise of turdblossomry most likely entered the American psyche as relating to the special evil genius of children from the Mark Twain characters of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn (circa 1870).

By the 1960's though and the mainstream advent of television there was hardly a negative connotation to the charge at all in it's proper context of referring to the outrageous fibs of children attempting to cover up unrelated matters of truancy (esp. refers to family dominated TV sitcom story lines).

Examples from the historic vernacular:

Boy, that Opie sure can tell some turdblossoms.

-or-

Yes Sir, that Eddie Haskell is a turdblossom alright.

It was in this transition from the literal aspect of flowering manure, to the rather pointed analogy of a flowering lie based on a hidden truth, to the ultimate acceptance of the practice "as adorable" by the national US television audience, that a generation (esp. southern) took note and incorporated the philosophy of "turdblossomism" into their moral framework and future careers.

While the blossoming of a turd may in part be understood in the Public Relations vernacular of "spin" or "damage control" (asserting the positive implications over the negative) in full context a turdblossom goes beyond as an outright and even obvious lie, that people scramble to devour in spite of themselves... delicious turd and all.

Google evidences appear to support this evolution with it's offering of a turdblossom being one Karl Rove (with the nickname even being attributed by George Bush).

Turd Blossom to Ride Again!

January 14, 2003
Turd Blossom to Ride Again!
Columnist Helen Thomas, on a new book about Karl Rove called Boy Genius:

"Several years ago when (Rove) started getting accolades from political writers as the mastermind behind Bush, the president is known to have bristled.

"He once told a journalist that he did not like his aides getting 'star treatment.' So he started calling Rove 'Turd Blossom,' which refers to the so-called cowpie splat made by bovine waste when it hits the ground.

"But whatever Bush calls him, you can be sure Karl Rove will be formidable in W's 2004 race for re-election."

While President Bush may indeed be accurate in calling the man referred to as "Bush's Brain" a Turd Blossom, it's evident he doesn't appreciate the full and completely accurate implications of the nickname for his Senior Advisor.

Others do.

One biographical resume of Karl Rove summarizes accordingly.

Karl Rove
AKA Karl Christian Rove

Born: 25-Dec-1950
Birthplace: Denver, CO

Religion: Anglican/Episcopalian
Ethnicity: White
Sexual orientation: Straight

Level of fame: Somewhat
Executive summary: Turd Blossom

Analogous examples of modern Master Turdblossomry from Karl Rove are demonstrated daily in any number of cynical Republican yarns and photo ops designed to obfuscate the ugly truth with any clinging sham of patriotic fervor.

For example: Upon viewing all GOP House members standing in unison with purple ink stained fingers to "salute" the billion dollar quagmire over nonexistent WMD's sending over 1,500 US Soldiers to an early and unnecessary grave, one may accurately express the following:

Hey, look! It's a flowering field of purple turdblossoms growing right out of the Republican's fingers. How pretty. I think I do like unneccessary war after all. In fact, I think I'll go make myself a turd sandwich right now.

More at:

Rotten - Karl Rove
Turdblossom Hits the Tarmac
Karl "Turdblossom" Rove
Turdblossom in Art

[edit on 15-3-2005 by RANT]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Thanks Rant, that is an impressive and I am admonished.
Nice research but more impressive is your vocabulary. Never heard the word before. Again great work! Feel free to delete this thread or tell me how I can. Personally, if I were you I would want to leave it up to embarrass me or Ed. Your call. I thought about U2 but you got me, others deserve to know.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Well surprise surprise!

How about that! Ironic for sure....here I lump the liberal-leftist-treehugging-sadist-antiAmericans into a term, the infamous 'turdblossom' and it turns out to be a nickname for Karl Rowe given by none other than Bush himself.

Hmmm......Damn, I I thought it fit so well.

I guess the laugh is on me then........

But it sounds so fitting....damn.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
A revelation!

In telling my beloved wife the outcome of the turdblossom mystery, she without a hesitation said "Well it seemed to fit but how about tulip-walkers?

I said "Huh?"

Then she said it plain as day, Tip toe, through the tulips! That seemed good enough for me!

Henceforth..........turdblossoms are now called tulip-walkers!

I love her!

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Forever and a day I will now visualize edsinger as the late Tiny Tim.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Forever and a day I will now visualize edsinger as the late Tiny Tim.

Whatever floats you boat m8!

I kinda liked turdblossom , but crapflower would probably get me a flag so tulipwalker will have to do, plus if it makes you happy, so be it! Glad I could help brighten your day!

EDIT:

You know, turdblossom seems so much more fitting, as well as crapflower, but tulipwalker is also a good generic term for these 'ideals'.

Maybe I can use a combination of all three?

[edit on 15-3-2005 by edsinger]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I am bumping this as there seem to be many questions about the source and meaning of the term tulipwalker.......it has been here all along...

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Another shining example of what happens when you don't do your research. Whenever I read "Tulipwalker" from now on, this thread will spring to mind immediately.

Infact, I may try to incorporate it into my signature in some way.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by cargo

Another shining example of what happens when you don't do your research. Whenever I read "Tulipwalker" from now on, this thread will spring to mind immediately.

Infact, I may try to incorporate it into my signature in some way.

Glad you enjoyed it, its why I bumped it.

I was wrong and have since made adjustments.......

[edit on 30-4-2005 by edsinger]

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Well I hate to do this but I keep getting asked what a tulipwalker is, maybe I guess I need to get the ol definition witten down somewhere...

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 08:11 AM
link   
What amazes me, ed, is that you discuss ATS with people...well...outside of ATS. Let alone your wife. You tell them that you are on a crusade to convert all of the evil conspiracy nuts...don't you ed. Hmm?

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Well not exactly, I tell people how out of touch some Americans are and they can't believe it. I tell them go there yourself and see how much Americans can hate Americans and America at the same time.

It boils down to "These Tulipwalkers actually do exist outside places like San Fransisco and such."

They normally believe it when Europeans in general are mentioned, but they find it hard to believe that Americans feel that way......I tell them its just the abducted ones that do......

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I remember reading something you wrote that said, roughly, "I use these names because I got to many warns for personal insults."
So instead of correcting the problem, of not personally insulting a person, you circumnavigate the rules to spout off blanket insults. You found a way to insult without getting the warns.

Would it just be easier to discuss things like an adult, instead of the name calling?

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Well I guess you could look at it like that, but hey I get tired of typing the same crap over and over.

The Tulipwalkers have had no problem labeling me a right wing nut case so I have my labels for them.....

Its the lumping of an attitudes into a stereotype.....

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
Well I guess you could look at it like that, but hey I get tired of typing the same crap over and over.

Then what are you doing here?

The Tulipwalkers have had no problem labeling me a right wing nut case so I have my labels for them.....

Are you joking? Again, if this bothers you then why are you here? Why not just stick to "Tree hugging hippy"? You conveniently ignore the myriad of names used against the left. You are trying to play the victim card ed. Even you should realise how pathetic that looks. And how irrelevant it is. You are supposed to be the big, tough, kick-arse right winger. But when it suits you, you quickly drop into the "poor eddy" routine. This is manipulative and inconsistent with the roughneck attitude you and the right wing try to portray.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
The victim?

thats funny. I am no victim, not even in the slightest. I have worked my way to where I am, and hard I might add. I don't appreciate someone trying to give what I have worked for to someone who expects handouts and freebies.

Victim? Man thanks for the laugh.

[edit on 26-5-2005 by edsinger]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Eds,

Then why not stop typing crap?

Cheers

BHR

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 05:19 AM
link   

I don't appreciate someone trying to give what I have worked for to someone who expects handouts and freebies.

Funny. I'm against Faith Based Community Inititiatives and corporate bail outs too.

So how long have you been an "anti-Christian, anti-Bush crime family, Democrat" Ed?

Or do you just like to talk about personal responsibility like most neo-cons with their hands in my pocket and noses in my bedroom?

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Nice Try Rant but you know exactly what I meant.

Sure put a Democrat (Liberal one I might add) and then you can take 60% of my income and give it a way on government Bloat. Hell Bush Jr hasnt even figured this one out yet.

Yeah I strive to live in a high tax.

I gave over $3000 to charity last year ON TOP OFF MY TAXES PAID. How about you?

3K is not much but It very well could have been vacation money which we never took.

Talk is cheap.....

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join