Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Almost all your decisions are made by your unconscious mind.

page: 1
12
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Not your conscious mind. Of all the choices you've made, from taking a different exit on the highway, even to marrying your loved one, the majority are not made by your conscious, rational mind. In fact, objectivity may be very rare.

www.usnews.com...


The snap judgment. The song that constantly runs through your head whenever you close your office door. The desire to drink Coke rather than Pepsi or to drive a Mustang rather than a Prius. The expression on your spouse's face that inexplicably makes you feel either amorous or enraged. Or how about the now incomprehensible reasons you married your spouse in the first place?


This part is about the study:


But in a stunning study published this month in the journal Neurology, researchers used functional magnetic resonance imaging to study the brains of two minimally conscious patients and compared them with the brains of seven healthy men and woman. The scans revealed that the minimally conscious patients had less than half of the brain activity of the others. But then all the subjects were played a tape made by a family member or friend, recounting happy memories and shared experiences. One minimally conscious man listened to his sister reminiscing about her wedding and about the toast that he made. The result was astonishing: All those who were scanned, including the minimally conscious patients, shared similar brain activity, some with activation in the visual cortex. "This shows that there is a life of the mind beyond what is apparent," says Joseph Fins, chief of the medical ethics division of New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Medical Center. But Fins, who was not involved in the study, points out that philosophical questions also emerge. "Does this mean that they are seeing words? Visualizing semantic concepts? Does this in some way conceptualize consciousness?" As Zaltman points out, language is only the narrowest determination of our thoughts. This study shows that our brains, even damaged brains, are exquisitely attuned to that fact.


Welcome to evidence of your robust unconscious at work.

While these events are all superficially unrelated, each reveals an aspect of a rich inner life that is not a part of conscious, much less rational, thought. Today, long after Sigmund Freud introduced the world to the fact that much of what we do is determined by mysterious memories and emotional forces, the depths of the mind and the brain are being explored anew. "Most of what we do every minute of every day is unconscious, " says University of Wisconsin neuroscientist Paul Whelan. "Life would be chaos if everything were on the forefront of our consciousness."


This gives a much better understanding of the mind and of peoples behaviours that very often seem illogical and irrational. Also here on this forum.


The article also explains the phenomena known in the NLP world as "anchoring". An anchor is when an impulse (from one of the five sense) generates unconscious thoughts and feelings the mind has associated with that anchor. People can be easily influenced and formed by utilizing anchors.


Researchers at Baylor College of Medicine offered 67 committed Coke and Pepsi drinkers a choice, and in blind testing, they preferred Pepsi. When they were shown the company logos before they drank, however, 3 out of 4 preferred Coke. The researchers scanned the brains of the participants during the test and discovered that the Coke label created wild activity in the part of the brain associated with memories and self-image, while Pepsi, though tasting better to most, did little to these feel-good centers in the brain. P. Reed Montague, director of the Brown Foundation Human Neuroimaging laboratory at Baylor, explained when the study was released last October: "There's a huge effect of the Coke label on brain activity related to the control of actions, the dredging up of memories and self-image." The mere red-and-white image of Coke made the hippocampus, our brain's vault of memories, and the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, which is responsible for many of our higher human brain functions like working memory and what is called executive function or control of behavior, light up. The point, says Montague, is that "there is a response in the brain which leads to a behavioral effect." And curiously, it has nothing to do with conscious preference.

The dog comes up and begins to sniff. If it remembers you, and you were a nice person, then instantly it wags its tail, perhaps even deigns to lick your wrist. It may avoid you. It may associate you with food or with a swift kick. And all those images, all those associations are evoked by one healthy whiff.


Apparently we have underestimated our unconscious mind again. The unconscious mind often causes people to do irrational things, and have irrational viewpoints on different matters, as can be seen here on ATS for example. I am not immune to it either. This is not a excuse post, neither a post about not being responsible for your actions. Everybody has to be responsible for their actions of course, but it's important to find out what causes people to do the stuff that they do in order to be able to better it.

[edit on 7-3-2005 by TheBandit795]

[edit on 7-3-2005 by TheBandit795]




posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

Apparently we have underestimated our unconscious mind again. The unconscious mind often causes people to do irrational things, and have irrational viewpoints on different matters, as can be seen here on ATS for example. I am not immune to it either. This is not a excuse post, neither a post about not being responsible for your actions. Everybody has to be responsible for their actions of course, but it's important to find out what causes people to do the stuff that they do in order to be able to better it.





Okay. What does this mean? That people aren't responsible for what they do? ...Or that sometimes they're not responsible?

And if our unconscious minds make most of our decisions, and our unconscious can be manipulated - then what can we DO about that?

I'm SURE there is a defense. But what is it? And can we teach it in schools for example?



.



posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Bandit, I think you confused your title. It should read Unconscious mind.

But as far as the topic, I've already discussed this on ATS before. We are not responsible for our actions. Everyone is responsible for the totality of everyones actions. But in essence, we are each other.



posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Soficrow,

People are responsible for what they do. But we always connect people's actions to their conscious mind, which is incorrect. Their subconscious mind is also an influence, and a much bigger one as well.

People just have to be thought more about the workings of their subconscious mind, that's all.

And furthermore it's very good to learn the methods and means of programming your subconscious mind yourself. (Meditation, Self-hypnosis, NLP, 3d mind, hypnosis and brainwave training cd's, affirmations, eft, bsff etc..)


Simulacra,

Thanks for pointing it out to me...



posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795

People are responsible for what they do. But we always connect people's actions to their conscious mind, which is incorrect. Their subconscious mind is also an influence, and a much bigger one as well.





Thanks Bandit.

...Advertising messes with the subconscious mind - and now advertising companies work with neuroscientists. The new big thing is "neuro-marketing."

Supposedly, these guys can get inside your head in a major way - and even affect how brain cells grow. Do you think that's true?







And furthermore it's very good to learn the methods and means of programming your subconscious mind yourself. (Meditation, Self-hypnosis, NLP, 3d mind, hypnosis and brainwave training cd's, affirmations, eft, bsff etc..)







That stuff does work. It's really amazing. ...I started doing it ...um, maybe 25 years ago - telling myself I'm great, smart whatever, if I'm down, saying I love you. ...and I hardly ever get down or disheartened and no matter how tough it gets, I can get going, no problem.

...So are you saying that this kind of positive "self-programming" works against the negative programming that's out there? ...and do you think it could influence how brain cells grow?

...I'm asking because the new research does seem to show that our 'experiences' really do affect how our brains grow....


.



posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I was having a discussion about this the other day on ATS, it really is fascinating how much 'thought' people take for granted.

I do believe IQ has something to do with the level of control one can exhibit over their unconscious mind. What exactly the relationship is, and where the deliniation is, I'm not sure. The main hurdle is the opacity of the human brain physiology. It's simply not as easy as uncovering how a tendon or a bone works, because of the layers of complexity, and the interactions.

Another interesting factor is the split personality of the human brain. Humans have two essential parts to their brain, a monkey bulb and a reptile stem. The reptile stem is much older, much more instinctual. The monkey bulb has evolved to consider pack dynamics and social interactions along with personality and consciousness. Combine the two and you create a monster, a true monster. A creature with the cunning and predatory instinct of a reptile that's capable of living and working in a 'civilized' society as an individual. Humans are by far the greatest liars in nature.

Anyone who has an interest in this type of material should do some reading on Evolutionary Psychology. It's a bit of an emerging science, and there isn't a great deal of work out, but there are some interesting people involved in the early stages.

One book I enjoyed immensely, and have read several times in whole, countless times in part, is a book called "The Moral Animal" by Robert Wright.



posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

I do believe IQ has something to do with the level of control one can exhibit over their unconscious mind. What exactly the relationship is, and where the deliniation is, I'm not sure.





Yet people with 'natural' talents in music or the visual arts, or math geniuses do not seem to exert that conscious control - much of what 'happens' is at an unconscious or subconscious level. ...although perhaps a conscious control over process, maybe in the sense of 'releasing' (neuro) constraints?






Another interesting factor is the split personality of the human brain. Humans have two essential parts to their brain, a monkey bulb and a reptile stem. ... Combine the two and you create a monster, a true monster. A creature with the cunning and predatory instinct of a reptile that's capable of living and working in a 'civilized' society as an individual.

Anyone who has an interest in this type of material should do some reading on Evolutionary Psychology.





Thanks. Very interesting stuff, explained well. ....There was something of a dialogue a few years ago regarding "conscious evolution versus evolution of consciousness." ...As I recall, might tie in some fundamental ideas.

Am looking forward to the multi-disciplinary approaches - too many dichotomies, too much polarization in the past. Unproductive, unreasonable.


.

.



posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrowThanks Bandit.

...Advertising messes with the subconscious mind - and now advertising companies work with neuroscientists. The new big thing is "neuro-marketing."

Supposedly, these guys can get inside your head in a major way - and even affect how brain cells grow. Do you think that's true?


Yeah I just read about neuromarketing from your "schock & awe" thread today. It sounds interesting, but I don't know anything about it as yet. But I know of one method that can grow neurons. It's called image streaming.








That stuff does work. It's really amazing. ...I started doing it ...um, maybe 25 years ago - telling myself I'm great, smart whatever, if I'm down, saying I love you. ...and I hardly ever get down or disheartened and no matter how tough it gets, I can get going, no problem.

...So are you saying that this kind of positive "self-programming" works against the negative programming that's out there? ...and do you think it could influence how brain cells grow?

...I'm asking because the new research does seem to show that our 'experiences' really do affect how our brains grow....
.


Except for image streaming, I don't know if it influences the way braincells grow. Most of those methods are more subtle. They work with the "software" of your mind rather than the "hardware". 3d-mind works with mental constructs with your mind and blockages. EFT and BSFF work with "energetic blockages" it seems... Similar to accupuncture.



posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
How can anyone try to present this as theory, even though, the brain is still a mystery to EVERY human-being on this earth?

How do you define the difference between conscious mind activity and subconcious mind activity?



posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aether
How can anyone try to present this as theory, even though, the brain is still a mystery to EVERY human-being on this earth?

How do you define the difference between conscious mind activity and subconcious mind activity?




A variety of tests are used, along with functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) brains scans. ...In fact, a great deal is now known about how the brain works, down to the cellular level and neuronal activity.

You're right though, no one has a complete handle on it. One of my favorite theories says that the "brain" is distributed through the whole body - basically meaning that the brain includes all the nervous systems.


.



posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
It's so crazy though, I have thought about it numerous times and can't make any conclusion to how a nervous response can trigger a picture/thought/emotion.

Because, it's nothing more than electronic pulses, right?

Insane.



posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I'm glad mainstream media is beginning to talk about the mind.
We tend to think that our conscious mind is the most important part of us. But the reality is that our subconscious and unconscious mind play a much large part in our everday lives.

I'm not sure how amenable to suggest the unconscious mind is though. I thought that was the subconscious mind?

Bandit, thanks for posting this link. I saw my husband reading the article and thought about posting it myself



posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
The conscious...subconscious and unconscious (superconscious) are all the same , yet each state operate in different level of filters...or none

I am not sure about the subconscious mind for it may or may not have any limits or filter...



posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
This makes perfect sense when looking at a drug addict who has to have a fix, their mind/soul is too weak for their sub-conscious/unconscious urges or whatever. I believe most are capable of turning off the hedonistic subconscious and use the conscious mind of common sense and reason.

[edit on 8-3-2005 by jrod]



posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
You mean incapable jrod. Most are incapable to do so. You can do so by sheer will, but that is often way too difficult and agonizing for most people. And it's often a waste of time, seeing from the "shortcuts" that are available. The problem is that the average "mass person" is either not aware of these other possibilities to change the subconscious or has been conditioned to reject them as hogwash. Unless it appears on the 6'oclock news of course...



posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
By all reasonable measures there is no such thing as a subconscious mind.

There is a conscious mind. There is an unconscious, or instinctual mind. There is no in between mind. There is a 'membrane' through which thoughts pass, but there is no such thinking venue as a subconscious.

Sorry to be a stickler, but it's one of my pet peeves. Once again, there is no such thing as a subconscious mind.

You're either aware of a thought or you aren't. There is no reason to believe there is a third plane of thought where elements of the other two are both represented.

If anybody wants to argue this, please provide some proof for your claims. I've argued this at least two dozen times with various people, and I'm getting rather bored with it. The reason someone coined the term subconscious is because they didn't understand the mechanisms of thought.

Unconscious - Conscious

Think about it logically. You cannot be both aware and unaware of the same thought. You can act on a thought you are not aware of if the thought exists in your unconscious. You can act on a conscious thought (obviously). But according to most of the authorities on the subject there is no such thing as a subconscious.



posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
You mean incapable jrod. Most are incapable to do so. You can do so by sheer will, but that is often way too difficult and agonizing for most people. And it's often a waste of time, seeing from the "shortcuts" that are available. The problem is that the average "mass person" is either not aware of these other possibilities to change the subconscious or has been conditioned to reject them as hogwash. Unless it appears on the 6'oclock news of course...


I think the average 'mass person' is capable of doing so, their problem is they have either have never been shown how nor do not have a reason in their mind to change. All one needs is a paycheck, a roof over their head, someone to partner up with, and some recreation. Even if their recreation is getting drunk with friends are doing drugs if they have what they need they are not going change.



posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Yes you can be aware of thoughts in the conscious and subconscious areas at once. But look at it this way.

When you are lying down in your bed late at night, you can sometimes get the experience of thoughts "running in your mind". Those thoughts are seemingly appearing out of nowhere and are actually having their own logic, other than that of your conscious mind. You are aware of those thoughts in your head and yet you are not controlling them consciously. It is not your conscious mind thinking, and most of the time it's difficult to quite that "chatter" in your head. As if it has a life of it's own.

Usually it's something that you've experienced abundantly that day. For example if you were at a ballgame that day, when you're lying down in bed, you still hear crowds roaring in your mind and you still see the baseball diamond, and the players etc... You are not consciously focusing on those thoughts and images.. In fact your conscious mind is on the process of shutting down for the night.

If you keep conscious the more deeper your state of mind gets, (which usually happens only during meditation and not with the average person). These images actualy become brighter and stronger and become hallucinations. Once I was in such a deep state that I could clearly see myself in a fictional room. I saw everything very clearly, I saw the room, the walls a bookshelf and other things. yet I could feel/was aware of myself lying down in my bed. But it was very clear, and it was not what I was consciously thinking about at the moment. In fact, my conscious mind was at the brink of being active/inactive (being asleep). And I may have actually been sleeping/lost consciousness a few moments before. It wasn't a dream, because at that moment I felt that I was as awake as I am now. And it was just as clear as the monitor in front of me right now. Perhaps even clearer. It was as if I was actually standing in that room facing that bookshelf with those books on it.

Furthermore you can check out Image streaming to see how you can get access to subconscious thoughts.



posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod

I think the average 'mass person' is capable of doing so, their problem is they have either have never been shown how nor do not have a reason in their mind to change. All one needs is a paycheck, a roof over their head, someone to partner up with, and some recreation.


Yep, they are capable of doing it, but they don't believe it's possible. They often use the proverb "you can't teach an old dog new tricks."



posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
By all reasonable measures there is no such thing as a subconscious mind.

There is a conscious mind. There is an unconscious, or instinctual mind. There is no in between mind. There is a 'membrane' through which thoughts pass, but there is no such thinking venue as a subconscious.

Sorry to be a stickler, but it's one of my pet peeves. Once again, there is no such thing as a subconscious mind.

You're either aware of a thought or you aren't. There is no reason to believe there is a third plane of thought where elements of the other two are both represented.

If anybody wants to argue this, please provide some proof for your claims. I've argued this at least two dozen times with various people, and I'm getting rather bored with it. The reason someone coined the term subconscious is because they didn't understand the mechanisms of thought.

Unconscious - Conscious

Think about it logically. You cannot be both aware and unaware of the same thought. You can act on a thought you are not aware of if the thought exists in your unconscious. You can act on a conscious thought (obviously). But according to most of the authorities on the subject there is no such thing as a subconscious.



The subconscious mind is the end results of (Unconscious - Conscious) interaction or merging...at that level not only can you access/experience physical reality (conscious), but you can also access/experience the spiritual reality(unconscious) as well...

Off topic...when you mix HH to O you get H2O...

HH and O and H2O ... are they same thing...?

[edit on 8-3-2005 by mwen]





new topics

top topics



 
12
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join