It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flyingdales?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Up on the yorkshire moores then a big US base called flyingdales, i know it used to function as an advanced radar station to detect Soviet missles etc the big "golf balls" radars give that away.

But since the Cold War has finished what goes on there now?

I have heard rumours that while aurora was based at some scottish RAF base (the name of which escapes me) flyingdales because of its advanced radar was used to track the plane over the north sea, i don't know if there's any truth to this though?

Anyone know anything?

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Fylingdale - RAF base used to house Ballistic Missile Early Warning System (BMEWS) radar in the 1960's. Was part of the original BMEWS defense perimeter which was primarily intended to detect and track SLBM's launched from Soviet subs located North of the GI-UK gap.

Later upgraded in the 1970's to the FPS-115 PAVE PAWS system, which gave improved performance and space object tracking capability.

Being considered as a potential radar outpost for the NMD system, and would provide radar coverage for the UK, Scandinavia and Blatic countries.

A good read on the subject can be found here.....

www.fas.org...

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 08:24 AM
link   
There is something going on there what escapes me.

about 2 years ago i drove past there you could get real close to it but then 2 years later i drove past you were at least 1 1/2 miles away from the base they had completly changed the road layout so you could get no where near they also changed the speed limit to a higher speed so no one can slow down. NO Laybys no pull in stops nothing.

There hast to be something going on there

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I thought it was part of the Echelon system?

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
I thought it was part of the Echelon system?

i think it is apart of it, but im not sure.
It has links to UFOs and its a very "hush,hush" place

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It might be linked into the echelon system but the main base for this in the UK, I believe is Menwith Hill.

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crawford
There is something going on there what escapes me.

about 2 years ago i drove past there you could get real close to it but then 2 years later i drove past you were at least 1 1/2 miles away from the base they had completly changed the road layout so you could get no where near they also changed the speed limit to a higher speed so no one can slow down. NO Laybys no pull in stops nothing.

There hast to be something going on there

Its an early warning base for missiles, its a major target on the list for an enemy so of course they're gonna want to guard it well, with the construction of the big phased array to replace the golfballs they put ALOT of money into it, they're just protecting an investment, an RPG could wreck the panel if fired correct so its best to keep everyone out.

Its a British base staffed by the RAF and a small number of US Staff, its also Fylingdales not Flyingdales, a common mistake to make tho

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I will be working there tomorrow and will try n find out for u all lol

new topics

top topics

join