It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whitley Strieber's Response to Peter Jennings' Special

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The author of the book Communion has posted a journal entry regarding the Peter Jennings disinformation special. Whether or not you find Strieber to be credible, the entry is a good, empowering read. Check it out.

www.unknowncountry.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Thanks Meteor_of_War I really liked reading that. It certainly changed my view of the special last Thursday. It makes me really think... what was so important about Roswell that it is still being covered up today?

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax

It makes me really think... what was so important about Roswell that it is still being covered up today?

Heh, I'm sure with a little pondering of the matter you could come up with the answer to that yourself.

I firmly believe Roswell really is the key to everything, and the government will try to keep it secret for as long as possible. There was probably many other "Roswells" that went down in different locations on this planet, but that one was the only time we came so close and let it slip right through our fingers.

[edit on 26/2/05 by Meteor_of_War]

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meteor_of_War
The author of the book Communion has posted a journal entry regarding the Peter Jennings disinformation special. Whether or not you find Strieber to be credible, the entry is a good, empowering read. Check it out.

www.unknowncountry.com...

It's a good thing I read the board. I was going to post the response Whitley sent Jennings and I received a copy in my email a few hours ago. I totally concur with Whitley. He did a "class" evaluation.

There was more entertainment than UFO facts - clowns running around Roswell and SETI - just when did SETI begin looking for UFO's?

The first debunker wouldn't believe his grandma was dead if he was standing over her grave. A closed mind gathers no intelligence.

If you want to send a comment to Jennings, here's his address:

[email protected]

[email protected]

Later...Chief

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Thank you for your post.

Glad Whitley agrees with me, that this was a dissinformation special, mostly lies mixed in with a few truths.

Debunking

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The way I look at it, both Peter Jennings and Whitley Streiber are scam-artists and shills; there're only two differences: their respective agendas and reputations.

Jennings wants to cater to his crowd, the mainstream, because they watch TV in droves and are worth millions in advertisers' dollars. Strieber wants his crowd, obviously not mainstream, but they're loyal and help keep his shtick going.

They both say whatever they think sells, and they both do well (although on a different scale, of course).

Jennings has always struck me as a bit hypocritical; his on-camera expression and body language betray his feelings, all to well, and this shows up whenever he's discussing something controversial.

Strieber seems a bit shrill; and his response to Jennings seemed laced with paranoia and delusions of grandeur, especially in the last couple of sentences of the article. But Strieber has an advantage over Jennings; although much smaller than Jennings', Strieber's followers are much more loyal, even at the expense of what others might consider common sense.

Nonetheless, they both annoy me, and I don't think either of them added much to the debate on UFOs. Indeed, by taking on each other by faint ridicule (Jennings) and personal insults (Streiber) they both exposed themselves as a both bad-tempered and bogus.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I like what Whitley Streiber had to say but I still do not trust him from what I read about him and government ties.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Thanks Meteor_of_War I really liked reading that. It certainly changed my view of the special last Thursday. It makes me really think... what was so important about Roswell that it is still being covered up today?

I can tell you why they still want to cover up Roswell. Think of it, if the government anounced they did recover a craft with aliens back in 1947, what would happen? Every journalist, and scientist in the world is going to want access to the wreckage. And they can't allow that. I believe that America has been back engineering the wreckage and has had a technological edge on the rest of the world because of it. Roswell disclosure would be the same as putting blueprints from the B2 bomber up on the Internet. Not gonna happen.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I do like what Whitley said about SETI. It's completely usless and idiotic. Even "mainstream" scientists like Michio Kaku have said so. If you're going to try to pick up signals from space you don't do it like SETI is, listening to a few frequencies.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
The way I look at it, both Peter Jennings and Whitley Streiber are scam-artists and shills; there're only two differences: their respective agendas and reputations.

Another main difference being we know Streiber is a science fiction/horror writer and Jennings pretends to be a journalist.

I almost got sucked into the cult of abduction years ago. Had my own "experience" while reading Communion (little man walking around the bed and everything, even left a series of 3 punctures on my neck...EVIDENCE!) but it didn't take long to research Strieber and "sleep paralysis" and understand what was happening. Never happened again.

"Communion" was an awesome work for it's time. It wouldn't even rate a B-post now though in the Aliens forum here. It's bunk. A classic piece of sci-fi and self delusion that spread the abduction phenom mainstream, planted imagery and suggestion to an entire generation and (IMO) did more to debunk and ridicule serious UFOlogy than a thousand Peter Jennings specials ever could have.

Some UFO sightings are real. The Strieber's and most of the abduction people ruin that, serving as easily debunked examples to discredit serious investigation.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   

a world-historical mistake there that has led to our being in the state we are in now: isolated on this earth, swimming in ignorance, and denied what is the birthright of every intelligent species, which is access to the great cosmos.
Second, the most important aspect of the whole UFO phenomenon is abduction. As ugly as it is, it is also our only point of contact with the outside. And there is a message being sent from them to us. It has nothing to do with radio telescopes and the adolescent tomfoolery of SETI, and everything to do with the hearts, minds and bodies—and the souls—of the abductees.

I couldnt have said it better myself.
Ill lend Mr. Strieber my .....

Maybe ill make FLOATIES for all those "swimming in ignorance".

[edit on 26-2-2005 by lizzardsamok]

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Today feb 26th, I attended a MUFON meeting in Salt Lake City Utah.

I wish I had made available THIS letter from Mr. Strieber for the group. There was a brief disscusion about the Peter Jennings 'special'.......and I just WISH I had been able to read this letter to the group. Mr. Strieber did a fine job with this 'after the fact' letter, and I wish I could have shared it.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Ok heres the FREE FLOATIES for all those "swimming in ignorance".

Gotta love metaphorical imagery

I hope this makes someone laugh im ROTFLMAO.

reminds me of a tool song.....

[edit on 26-2-2005 by lizzardsamok]

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by lizzardsamok

a world-historical mistake there that has led to our being in the state we are in now: isolated on this earth, swimming in ignorance, and denied what is the birthright of every intelligent species, which is access to the great cosmos.
Second, the most important aspect of the whole UFO phenomenon is abduction. As ugly as it is, it is also our only point of contact with the outside. And there is a message being sent from them to us. It has nothing to do with radio telescopes and the adolescent tomfoolery of SETI, and everything to do with the hearts, minds and bodies—and the souls—of the abductees.

I couldnt have said it better myself.

No, Mr. Strieber couldn't have said it any worse. He's hurting UFOlogy with that abductions are the most important aspect of UFO phenomenon stuff.

He's just selling his sci fi horror genre at the expense of valid science opening up UFOlogy to riducule by associating his agenda to it for personal gain.

"Abductions" are somewhere between 99.99 and 100% crap in my ever so humble opinion. If anyone is a disinformation agent about UFO's it is Whitley. He's personally set disclosure back decades.

He wrote The Wolfen 10 years earlier. Are werewolves coming in bedrooms at night too?

It's a con.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
You know, people are never happy with what they're given. Everyone who believes in UFOs and ETs wants disclosure and more recognition from the public. But once something like this comes along, its not good enough. Just be glad that they decided to do a special at all.

For people that I know, it helped them reaffirm their belief even though they aren't "hardcore" believers like me. Now they have become more interested in the subject.

That show was meant for the mainstream media and public, not for us. If they started spewing all the conspiracy theories about greys, reptillians, secret bases, alien/human hybrids and whatnot, they'd turn off a lot of people. There's a smart way to go about getting disclosure and there's also a stupid way to go about it. This subject requires that little bits be given out over a period of time so that people can process all of it and start taking it seriously. Its time to start building some credibility with the public.

I think the Jennings special helped our cause.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Well, I didn't see the special, but a friend of mine told me not to bother because he said it was utter rubbish. I read the little essay from Whitley Strieber and I just have to say I am appalled that he insinuated Peter Jennings has demonized abductees. I find that such a bitter pill to swallow. We as a society can accept and to some point sympathize more with killers, molesters and rapists more than we can sympathize with abductees?

[edit on 27-2-2005 by Reptilian_Queen]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
I almost got sucked into the cult of abduction years ago. Had my own "experience" while reading Communion (little man walking around the bed and everything, even left a series of 3 punctures on my neck...EVIDENCE!) but it didn't take long to research Strieber and "sleep paralysis" and understand what was happening. Never happened again.

Wow, this is scary... I saw the original movie "Communion" way back when it came out, late 1980's I think...

I too could NOT sleep because of the "brain scare" that damn story had put in my mind. Rediculous as it sounds, I was a grown man, had crossed the Pacific Ocean by ship 4 times, yadda yadda yadda, and I was SCARED at night from that story.

Strieber and company strike me as nothing more than promoters and marketers as well...

m...

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I can hinestly tell you I'm more scared of hearing about Real Life Ghost stories than I am about encountering Extra Terrestrials. Just as an example, I love Unsolved Mysteries and I purchased the DVD sets for UFO's and Ghosts. Well, the Ghost one gives me more heebie jeebies than the UFO tales. Make of that what you may I guess.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I'll agree that some of Mr. Streiber's comments are a bit paranoid...but this one paragraph really summed it up well...

They are filled with belief in their own competence, however. The result is that their efforts become an exercise in hubris. They end up making judgements based on inadequate information because they believe that what they have gathered is sufficient. But it is not sufficient, it only fulfills their expectations and serves their assumptions. That's always where they stop, and it’s never enough.

By the way, I'll mention General Exon soon in the Roswell threads...

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street

Jennings wants to cater to his crowd, the mainstream, because they watch TV in droves and are worth millions in advertisers' dollars.

yes, and if you pull-back the curtain to see what's going on behind the scenes...???

consider that Peter Jennings is anchor for ABC (Disney is parent Co.)
deduce that the hyped programme was not supposed to 'solve' anything!

for a synopsis and link to a full coverage article:
www.talkdisney.com...

....Peter Jennings has extended contract with ABC(Disney) into 2005....
P.J. is to form a Production Company, using mostly news staff, and will
produce up to 4 hours of prime-time programming for ABC
(in the future)...

the whole hyped scenario just fanned the flames of controversy,
which was the purpose of the program...
along with introducing UFOs 101 to another batch of consumers- -
while building controversy among UFO&Alien adherents
and expectations of how the next 2 hour programme will address their particular issues
(mishandled in the 1st installment)

imho, P.J. would make P.T. Barnum proud
both as an Anchor &/or Producer

top topics

<<   2 >>

join