It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Fractal Nature of Human Culture's Disease

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Looking out your window watching people go up and down the street what do you think? On foot, in cars, in the bus, maybe on an airplane people are going back and forth not talking to you. What do you think about them? Looks peaceful until you start thinking.

What do you look at? What's first? Man or Woman, White or Black, Young or Old, Beautiful or Ugly, Mainstream or Subculture, everyone has a first thought. Is your first though a question of who? Who are they?

Why don't you know? We have been educated and programmed to think we don't know. It is not something that has been accomplished by modern science or secret societies. It is something that has been accomplished by the culture of man.

A fractal from far away might look simple like a 5 pointed star. But when looked at up closely you see each singular point contains another 5 pointed star and on the points of it another 5 and on and on until it never stops.

To understand the problem of the world we only need to look at the relationship between two people.

To understand the dynamic of how humans interact both when they are and are not communicating with eachother and what they are thinking during both of these times. To compile everyones thoughts on top of eachother on seperate clear laminate sheets and to look down we will see the same fractal although not 5 pointed. We will see one shape, one image of society and the closer and closer we look on all levels we will see the same relationship in all its form.

Then and only then can we truly understand the problem of man and begin to apply a solution.

We cannot just so easily compile everyones thoughts together. But a relationship between mankind where we know who we are, everyone around us, we would not have the difficulties that arise from being in a conditioned state of not knowing.

I hope at ATS we can try to work on this. The same annoying conflicts between personalities here on the board is the same problem that creates all the seperate problems we talk about on this discussion board. There are metapatterns at ATS. Please find them and expose them and stop the conflict here. Cultivate a culture we would like to live in. Enlightenment happens rarely, but when it does it spreads like wildfire and a whole culture can be swayed by propaganda or woken up to the light.

Fight is a right we have to take and make use of. Fighting ourselves however is what we are currently doing. We have many things to fight for in the world that don't include the destruction of our own human relationships and culture. Fight for growth for in truth survival is all we are here to do, it's how we do it that counts.

[edit on 23-2-2005 by 00PS]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Very interesting OOps.

It makes a LOT of sense - culture as a fractal extension of the individual, and the reverse too. Where does it start , do you think? With the larger culture, or with the individual?

...and you're saying we can change the pattern, through conscious effort. Brilliant!

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
That is a good question. That's the whole which came first the Chicken or the Egg. I guess I should answer.

I think it came from people first but then the egg became and animal of its own and now it is the culture that keeps the disease in place. It's necessary for the cultures survival. But the culture is the relationships between us, not whats inside. So thats where the conditioning comes into place and effects us after birth until our death.

The individual is solely responsible for the liberation of man from it's culture. The culture cannot do it itself. In the next round of existance we should try to create a culture that stays within us, not gets bigger than ourselves and ultimately conditions our future for us. Not visa versa.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I was just wondering if anyone else had any comments about this post. I think it's the most interesting thing I have ever posted about. I hope more members could explore this idea with me. Thanks - 00PS

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 04:22 AM
link   

That is a good question. That's the whole which came first the Chicken or the Egg. I guess I should answer.

Go here www.belowtopsecret.com...

Now to get back on topic
I agree. We should know more about the ppl around us, but in a huge city like NYC its hard to know about the ppl around you because a thousand ppl could walk by you that youve never seen b4 and might never see again. I preffer a village where you know every1 and you can walk on the steet and say hi to every1 you know. Its alot better

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Yeah, it's unfathomable to think we can know everyone around us. But we can know more. But our conditioning has brought us to the point that we don't know anything. We don't know commonalities or differences between cultures that might live in the same neighborhood. These are preconditions set for race riots and murder. This is not just in America or New York, It's in China, France, South Africa. And it's all the same. The Fractal Nature of Human Culture's Disease can be seen as a huge monster we cannot defeat but at the same time its between two people and can be defeated. Victory comes from the people. The Fractal Revolution of Man's Consciousness is explosive.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00PS

The Fractal Nature of Human Culture's Disease can be seen as a huge monster we cannot defeat but at the same time its between two people and can be defeated. Victory comes from the people. The Fractal Revolution of Man's Consciousness is explosive.

Good observations. ...Think this is why people have said real change always starts with one person. ...One real change in one person can affect the pattern of the whole, kind of spreads like a virus. Cool, huh?

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Erf.

You might enjoy reading on anthropology. It would give you some insights on culture that you haven't explored yet, such as alliances and kinship obligations and the various cultures that each personality is connected to. In addition to culture, there's also personal views (and psychological pathologies.)

I can't give you a simple answer, here.

Conversations on a BBS are quite different than in-person conversations and analyzing things done in written environments produce different results than analyzing speech (I'm doing research on this for a paper to be presented at the Popular Culture Association in March, but I'm going to spare you the formulas and papers and heavy linguistic term.) Metaconcerns in one environment may not be related to the whole patter of the person's life, social group, or community or nation.

And everyone's views of what is reasonable or what is right and what is proof is dependent on a whole lot of personal history, family history, education (formal and informal), etc, etc.

There's really no one solution for everyone.

Still, I think that identifying problems and learning to address them is good... but what you may see as a problem might be my pet solution, y'know.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Oops, I think you've made a most interesting observation and have evidently given it a good deal of thought. I'd like to respond with something equally intelligent, but now I'M going to have to give it some thought... some initial impressions: I believe there are a number of models for looking at human interaction, but this is a way of modeling the repetitiveness of interactions from the neighbourhood level to the world level... on the other hand, human dynamics are so complex that there may be more than one type of fractal at work, so one would have to examine how they might intersect... although it may be an interesting way of looking at human behaviour at a macro level, does it have any promise as a diagnostic or predictive tool...

Finally, it looks like some work in this area may already be in gear... a quick web search for "human fractals" turns up this, for example: www.ralph-abraham.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> www.ralph-abraham.org...

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
The rediculous fights that happen on ATS are more proof of this fractal metapattern. That Ats is a microcosm of the larger global community is not entirely correct as Ats attracts certain interet sectors for certain regions of the world and is not at all inclusive.

If we break it down by gender

If we break it down by race

If we break it down by class

Now look at society, where does power lie?

The only phenomenon really here at ATS is the age. We have young and old talking to eachother.

Isn't it interesting how the older people, really let out their emotions whereas in real life they have social rules they live by and would never confront a younger person in that way. So in this way ATS, a cyberworld, has different rules for culture.

This should be taken into account when studying the fractal nature of human culture's disease...I'll think about this

new topics

top topics

join