It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: North Korea Admits It Has Nukes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
North Korea has backed out of the six nations talks and admitted that it has developed nuclear weapons. The long theorized belief that North Korea has built nukes has now been proven by North Korea it's self. The North Korean Foreign Minister made the admission and stated that their development was in an effort to defend itself from what it saw as an ever increasingly hostile Bush Administration.

thestar.com.my
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - North Korea's government publicly admitted Thursday for the first time that the country has atomic weapons, and said it was suspending participation in six-nation talks aimed at getting it to abandon its nuclear ambitions.

"We had already taken the resolute action of pulling out of the (Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty) and have manufactured nukes for self-defense to cope with the Bush administration's evermore undisguised policy to isolate and stifle the DPRK,'' the North Korean Foreign Ministry said in a statement carried by the state-run Korean Central News Agency.

The communist state said it was "compelled to suspend'' participation in six-nation nuclear talks "for an indefinite period."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

More Information from the MSNBC Article

www.msnbc.com
Diplomats have said that North Korea has acknowledged having nuclear arms in private talks, but this is the first time the communist government has said so directly to the public.

North Korea’s "nuclear weapons will remain (a) nuclear deterrent for self-defense under any circumstances," the ministry said. "The present reality proves that only powerful strength can protect justice and truth."

North Korea said it came to its decision because "the U.S. disclosed its attempt to topple the political system in the DPRK at any cost, threatening it with a nuclear stick."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So it would seem as if the Bush policy has actually propelled North Korea into stepping up it's production of a nuclear bomb, which they now have completed.

With his recent hard line stance toward Iran, has he missed his mark, or did he already know, and was picking the weaker of the two to pick on?

A nuclear North Korea may well be a North Korea that only hopes to defend themselves, but it is possible that they mean to threaten their neighbors.

Related News Links:
story.news.yahoo.com
www.foxnews.com]www.foxnews.com
www.msnbc.com

Related Abovetopsecret.com Discussions
NEWS: Mushroom Cloud Seen After N.Korea Explosion

[edit on 11-2-2005 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Good coverage phreak.

IMO - Bush has backed everyone against the wall. Is he so stupid he doesn't expect us all to fight back? Or is that what he wants? Which means he thinks he's got it covered at home and abroad. ...I'm thinking bioweapons now. Must be bedtime.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
:IMO - Bush has backed everyone against the wall. Is he so stupid he doesn't expect us all to fight back? Or is that what he wants?

What wall???? They have tried to negotiate with good old Crazy Kim. What exactly would you like the US to do here :shk: Kim is clearly insane yet they are trying. As I have said before, Kim is like dealing with my 2 year old. Its a simple as that. Eventually the US and the rest of the world including the Chinese will grow tired of his act, or he will rattle that sabre on to many times and set off a war. Trying to pin all of the worlds issues on Bush is a bit much

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I wonder how Japan and South Korea will react to this. Maybe they should build nukes to defend themselves from the North Koreans!..... the domino effect.......

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I guess what I want to know now is was the huge explosion that occured in North Korea late last year actually a test of a nuclear device? At the time it was played off as a "forrest fire".

Did the governments of the world know it was a nuclear test, and just withheld the information?

Also, have they been successful in mating their nuclear devices to a missile? Without the ability to launch it, their pretty much just sitting in a pile of their own radiological filth.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPhiles
I wonder how Japan and South Korea will react to this. Maybe they should build nukes to defend themselves from the North Koreans!..... the domino effect.......

Thats exactly what the NPT was created to stop, and which N Korea happens to be a signing member I believe. Its not like the S Koreans or the Japanese dont have the tech to make nukes.

Its the same boat in the Middle East which you can argue was started by Israel which is not a signing member of the NPT. Now Iran has them which Im sure that will make other countries in the area like want them.

Then will be all set with every little country with its own nuclear arsenal.

[edit on 10-2-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
I guess what I want to know now is was the huge explosion that occured in North Korea late last year actually a test of a nuclear device? At the time it was played off as a "forrest fire".

It was thought to be an accident rather than a test. However, there are rumors (no link of course) that remains of a ballistic missile were found in the Pacific Northwest. That aside, North Korea in all likelyhood has the capacity to hit Japan with those nukes and our troops in the region are also at risk. From the US prespective aside from the human toll, Japan is our key to influence in the area. Its loss would ceed the whole of Asia to China.

Bag on the Missile Defence System all you want but its better that "duck and cover" IMHO

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Nuclear Proliferation on the rise.... I would imagine this is a worse case scenario lol. North Korea is basically saying NPT doesn't mean jacksh** to all those other little rogue countries.

So has a NPT been broken? Who steps in? the U.N. or the N.W.O. lol??? what gives..........

Im not really surprised by this lol....

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   
AP Just picked it up:

SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea publicly admitted Thursday for the first time that it has nuclear weapons, and said it wouldn't return to six-nation talks aimed at getting it to abandon its nuclear ambitions

Diplomats have said that North Korea has acknowledged having nuclear arms in private talks, but this is the first time the communist government has said so directly to the public.

"We had already taken the resolute action of pulling out of the (Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty) and have manufactured nukes for self-defense to cope with the Bush administration's ever-more undisguised policy to isolate and stifle the DPRK," the North Korean Foreign Ministry said in a statement carried by the state-run Korean Central News Agency.
North Korean Nuclear Weapons

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Yes in fact the CIA itself has referred to NK's capability of hitting the west coast:

The estimate is not new -- it was laid out in an unclassified CIA document in December 2001-- but Tenet is the most senior U.S. official to say so publicly.

The 2001 report said North Korea's Taepo Dong 2 missile may be capable of hitting the West Coast of the United States, as well Alaska and Hawaii.

The revelation came shortly after the United Nations nuclear watchdog agency declared North Korea in breach of international nuclear agreements and sent the issue to the U.N. Security Council.

www.cnn.com...

FredT here is a link to the story regarding the missile warhead found in the Pacific NW (Alaska):

The warhead of a long-range missile test-fired by North Korea was found in the U.S. state of Alaska, a report to the National Assembly revealed yesterday.

times.hankooki.com...

I think NK is making a public show out of this now. They have been on-record stating their belief that the US is not the only country entitled to engage in a preemptive attack.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are boasting about their arsenal today, since the US is publically acknowledging (via Rice & Bush's statements) the danger of Iran possessing nukes.

Now, Bush is going to have to make a statement about NK since he has previously defined them as being part of the "axis of evil".

MK

[edit on 10-2-2005 by MKULTRA]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   
honestly this news doesnt amaze me. Kim Jong Il is an extremly smart person. A lot of the peopel around here may deny it but im talking smart as on hitler levels! I see a draft being pulled soon with whats going on in Iran and Korea. Friends of mine serving have been asked to come back against their will. Dont know all the details but they had to go wether they liked it or not. A draft is around the corner. I dont fear it but you better buckle up.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
How long untill they use these nukes? Sooner or later, I smell a war coming.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I for one think that this is an excellent revelation as it will stop any US aggression against the North and now the South and China can concentrate on continuing market reforms in the North, such as the Kaesong economic development zone which hopefully will develop well.

I think Kim's playing his cards. Get nukes, stop US aggression and use the south for economic development and stability ala china style to maintain his position of power.

That said I take anything the North says, just like the Bush Administration with a grain of salt at best.

thanks,
drfunk

[edit on 10-2-2005 by drfunk]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
That said I take anything the North says, just like the Bush Administration with a grain of salt at best.

Nice to know I'm not the only one that feels that way. The easiest way to get everyone off their back at this point is to say 'we have nukes'. It doesn't matter if you do or not, you just have to say you do.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   
oh yeah, like sadam said he'd use WMD's against us when we invaded?

This could be a total bluff on n koreas part. (doubtful but possible)
When they test their nuke and show it, then they will have a small level ofdeterrance, but not much. They cant vaporize more than a few places at most, and once they did have no capasity to resist total invasion.
If they think this will stop the world powers from breathing down his neck, he better find a new plan, cause this will only delay his inevitable demise.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by CazMedia
oh yeah, like sadam said he'd use WMD's against us when we invaded?

This could be a total bluff on n koreas part. (doubtful but possible)
When they test their nuke and show it, then they will have a small level ofdeterrance, but not much. They cant vaporize more than a few places at most, and once they did have no capasity to resist total invasion.
If they think this will stop the world powers from breathing down his neck, he better find a new plan, cause this will only delay his inevitable demise.

Actually North Korea has some of the best trained troops in the world. TO top it of they are truly disciplined unlike most of our troops. Its not in the size of the army. Its all about strategy and training now a days. I think we could beat Korea but it will not be easy and id put death tolls in the hundred thousands.

The biggest mistake any military or power can make is to underestimate the enemy. The USA has done that in the past 2 wars we have had and look how its turned out. I wish our military were still up to the standards it was in WW2.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   
AndrewTB,
i agree on all accounts, i was more thinking NATO or a more worldly invasion of them should they use a nuke against someone. No nation would be defending them, and while they have some decent military capasity...a group like NATO would finish them conventionally within a few months at most

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB

Actually North Korea has some of the best trained troops in the world. TO top it of they are truly disciplined unlike most of our troops. Its not in the size of the army. Its all about strategy and training now a days. I think we could beat Korea but it will not be easy and id put death tolls in the hundred thousands.

The biggest mistake any military or power can make is to underestimate the enemy. The USA has done that in the past 2 wars we have had and look how its turned out. I wish our military were still up to the standards it was in WW2.

Since obviously you are an expert on the U.S. military and tactics, exactly what standards does the U.S. military fail to meet these days that were met in WWII? I'm curious about this. I had no idea that the U.S. has become so inept, and the N. Koreans have become such highly trained fighting dignitaries! Do you have any inside source/link on this highly valued training that the N. Koreans are providing for their troops, since obviously the U.S. military isn't up to snuff anymore?

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I just wish the bombs could be put down for once, but if America want their huge arsenal then I think that every country should have nukes as well. That way everyone will hopefully act as a deterant against each other, knowing if they fire they come right back at them. At the moment it's more of a case of "don't mess with America", where as I believe everything should be on a more even scale so that we have a nice "I wont mess with you if you wont mess with me" thing going on.

The plus side of this also is that it'll stop the Bush admins arrogance and they'll stop throwing their weight around as much. They're dying to get the opportunity to push that little red button again, don't think for a second they're not...especially Bush.

As for Kim Jong Il...:

I'm So Ronery
I'm so ronery
So ronery
So ronery and sadry arone

There's no one
Just me onry
Sitting on my rittle throne
I work very hard and make up great prans
But nobody ristens, no one understands
Seems that no one takes me serirousry

And so I'm ronery
A little ronery
Poor rittre me

There's nobody
I can rerate to
Feer rike a bird in a cage
It's kinda sihry
But not rearry
Because it's fihring my body with rage

I work rearry hard and I'm physicarry fit
But nobody here seems to rearize that
When I rure the world maybe they'rr notice me
But untir then I'rr just be ronery
Rittre ronery, poor rittre me
I'm so ronery
I'm so ronery

[edit on 10-2-2005 by John Nada]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kyle325is

Originally posted by AndrewTB

Since obviously you are an expert on the U.S. military and tactics, exactly what standards does the U.S. military fail to meet these days that were met in WWII? I'm curious about this. I had no idea that the U.S. has become so inept, and the N. Koreans have become such highly trained fighting dignitaries! Do you have any inside source/link on this highly valued training that the N. Koreans are providing for their troops, since obviously the U.S. military isn't up to snuff anymore?

Honestly the military isn't up to snuff. Morale is at an all time low for people enlisted in the service if your not aware. That says a lot. For example: The men in women of WW2 believed in what they were doing. Vietnam and Iraq are totally different stories. As for N. Korea's troops use google. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure it out. I know the USA still has the Best military out there. But were greatly underestimating our enemies which is pretty much like digging out our own graves. Korea I believe honestly wants the Nuke for protection. Iran on the other hand is a totally different story. AT least the koreans are being upfront with their intentions. Once again it cant be said enough Kim Jong Il is an extremley smart dude which says a lot facing a idiot.

[edit on 2/10/2005 by AndrewTB]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join