It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National "Do Not Call List"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 05:08 PM
link   
"new FCC regulation that will allow consumers to add their names to a national "do not call" list."

Saw this on the news, and figured some members here might be interested if they missed it. As it may pertain to more than just Michigan.

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Trying to log onto the site do sign up is a joke....370,000 +/- people so far have signed up and according to many, this will double by the end of the day.

Hell, I'm still trying to log onto the site to sign up.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 05:14 PM
link   
From the report:

"political organizations are exempt"

Oh that's alright then.

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 05:18 PM
link   
In addition: the site is:
www.donotcall.gov...

or one may choose to sign up, toll free, by phone registry at: 1-888-382-1222

Info came from this:
story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20030627/ap_on_go_ot/do_not_call_28

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 04:58 PM
link   
From their FAQ:

Q: I get calls soliciting money for political organizations or for charities � will the National Do Not Call Registry stop those calls?

A: Political solicitations are not covered by the National Do Not Call Registry. Telemarketers calling to solicit charitable contributions are not covered by the registry, but if you make a request to a specific organization that they not call you, they are required to honor your request. If they subsequently call you again, they may be subject to a fine of up to $11,000.

This is somewhat annoying because I know in my area most of the people calling up and annoying me are claiming to be something charitable. You know the deal... "Hi my name is Bob and I'm calling from the blah blah foundation that helps people in need". No one knows who these people are. They get your number from god knows where, and want you to give them your credit card number (on the phone no less) to "make a donation". Personally, I do give money to charities and I think it's a wonderful thing to do. But to charities that I know. Ones that I know are doing good work, and won't rip me off. Call me paranoid, but I'm not up for giving my credit card info to some jackass on the phone who got my number from a raffle i once signed up for.
And political organizations? Those rats should not be allowed to call anyone. Those phone messages. "Hi this is Senator Dipstick reminding you to vote for me and my fat friends this November 5th." Or pacs? They get exempt. Give me a break. So all this law blocks is the chimney sweepers and long distance slammers huh? Sounds kinda impotent.

posted on Jul, 12 2003 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I registered my home phone number about 10 days ago after seeing a story on my local news station. I didn't have any problem logging on to the website.

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Telemarketers on the ropes;

"Do-not-call list cripples telemarketers"

"Aug. 11 � In the past three months, the hallways at Groesbeck-based Tel-A-Sell Marketing Inc. have become a lot less crowded. CEO Edd O�Connor has been forced to trim his telemarketing staff from 72 to 18."

"A month into the sign-ups for the federal Do Not Call list, nearly 30 million phone numbers across the United States have been registered for the list."

This news makes me VERY happy...wonder how many of those people were guests that read this?

See source for more info.

[Edited on 12-8-2003 by ADVISOR]

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 02:32 PM
link   

And political organizations? Those rats should not be allowed to call anyone. Those phone messages. "Hi this is Senator Dipstick reminding you to vote for me and my fat friends this November 5th." Or pacs? They get exempt. Give me a break. So all this law blocks is the chimney sweepers and long distance slammers huh? Sounds kinda impotent

LOL exactly. And better it puts me on a convenient national list so political organizations can call me with no restraint at all.

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Yes, but I have never had a call from a politicrat in the middle of dinner or at night, not too mention this list does alot of good for those of us who HATE teles...marketers! The original target don't forget.

join