It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harry Potter: Occult Conspiracy?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Are the Harry Potter books really just ordinary children's stories which owe their surprising success to the quality of the stories as well as the unprecedented scale of their marketing campaign?

This is no ordinary book, and the whole world seems to know it. As well as the highly favourable treatment of the books and films by the Western media, the book received additional publicity from a number of high-profile news stories in the US and the UK about people trying to steal the manuscript or copies of the book before the official launch.

The book, called 'Order of the Phoenix', contains 666 pages excluding the prologue, and it first went on sale in a series of unusual opening ceremonies held in major book shops throughout the world at exactly midnight on the eve of the Summer Solstice.

There is certainly more to this than simply a marketing gimmick, because there was no mention of the solstice in the promotional literature or even the mass media, and the number of pages is always officially quoted as 766.The ubiquitous image of the cover of the novel can also be seen as a dazzling sign for those who await the establishment of a New World Order from the chaos of the apocalypse as the new age dawns.

www.theinsider.org...

I'm not too familiar with the Harry Potter books but I'd like to see the movie. I thought the author was a poor woman, do you think since her first book she has since been influenced by "higher powers"?

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I doubt that it's a coincidence. People will say that it's getting kids to read, yeah, granted. But look at the context of what they're reading.

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 04:56 AM
link   
It is just a story about a pretty basic idea that's been done before (See A wizard of EarthSea to see the TRUE Wizard's School).

In fact A Wizard of Earth Sea is by far better for a story about wizardry, because it has a key element that Harry Potter lacks completely...and that is a "lesson".

Harry Potter is an amalgamation of a few basic tennents the author thought up...the rest is very much seemingly written on the fly.

The Lord Valdemort of Book 1 is nothing like Lord Valdemort of book 5.

Usually you get a taste of the villain that's the same in all the books because the books are a build up of one common theme...but Harry Potter seems to have a few nails in the ground but the rest is left to the winds.

Obviously the Author has no exact idea what the entire story line will be, or at least when she first started, maybe now she has defined the whole series in her notes.

However that lack of direction is evident of her lack of premeditation for the success it would have.

Like wise, the book is not "occult".

All it is is kids going to a school that teaches something. It just happens to be wizardry and witchcraft, but over all there is no "occult-ness" in it.

There are no dark incantations, no rituals, just simple book reading and waving a wand around saying certain words.

Perhaps if there were a definite initiation into some higher level of awareness, such as a black mass or something.

And then they didn't learn spells from simple studying but rather partook in rituals that would be performed to carry out the spells.

Then you'd have a book of the occult.

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 05:08 AM
link   
That is an interesting thought, but to me, IMHO, would not equating Harry Potter Books to Occultism be the same as equating D&D to Occultism or whatever it was equated to? Then you could go one step further and ask, is not those who study and read and believe in UFO's equal to Occultism and the cycle goes on?

Just my thoughts, though I do agree there are some 'strange' coincidences in regards to what you have mentioned PA.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I guess Rowling did a web interview with schoolchildren from around the world wherein she told them she doesn't believe in magic.. so.

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams
I guess Rowling did a web interview with schoolchildren from around the world wherein she told them she doesn't believe in magic.. so.

Did Rowling write those books?

She could be the next Shakespeare!!!

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 07:14 PM
link   
dude, pet rocks were more of a conspiracy!!!

zappin stuff with a funny stick is no conspiracy, but i've read the books. maybe it's too late to save me. GO ON AND FIGHT THE FURRY ONE!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller

As much as we might like to make fun... the kids DO read them. I'm just happy to see kids excited about reading.

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 07:23 PM
link   

As much as we might like to make fun... the kids DO read them. I'm just happy to see kids excited about reading.

I totally agree dude.
This is one of the dafter conspiracies on this board.

It's pretty dangerous too. I wouldn't like it if a kid were deprived of his imagination because I'd theorised some illogical theory.

Actually, I don't see this as "dafter". It's just plain spiteful.

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller

=========================================

a couple of years ago she was on welfare, now she is the richest woman in the UK aside from the Queen Mother.
almost sounds and reads like a pact was made with the Devil!

tut tut

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Has anyone seen the movie(s) and read the book(s)?

I know often times movies will leave out some good parts of the story in the book. I'm curious if the occult relation is more evident in the writing of the book or as symbolism in the movie.

arc

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I've read all the books (apart from the latest) and seen both the films. Occult? nope

The books do get darker as the series progresses but that is because Harry gets older and the danger increases.

posted on Jun, 27 2003 @ 12:52 AM
link   
The Harry Potter conspiracy

I read HP and enjoyed the well flowing story, much better than the movie, as usual. The movie 1 was good also, didn't see the other one.

I might have to leave griffindor for a new house...NOT!

Hey Gaz, get your cloak and I'll cover the Ale.

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Harry potter is definately based on the occult!

In the film(I have not read the books) my daughter was taken to see the first film at school and the book was read to the whole class.((Roman)Catholic school)

The film depicts witchcraft ......in discussing the ''hand of glory'' which appears in Chamber of secrets:insert a candle and it gives light only to the holder!
''Hand of glory'' actually does exist in occult tradition.It was the hand of a murderer who had been hung at the gallows,which was cut off, drained of blood,pickled and cured.
Candles(made from the fat of another murderer and with the wick made from his hair) were inserted into the hand before a burglar would enter a victim's house .The hand was reputed to have various magical properties that would protect and warn the burglar.
Rowling also depicts scrying(crystal ball gazing)with similar accuracy and little creative imagination.
Satanic ritual ..although the procedure might not exactly follow known rituals,the elements are all there :Human sacrifice,self -inflicted mutilation, and materials well known to be essential to satanic ritual, including an ''anthomey'' (a two edged, sharp, pointed dagger used to pierce the sacrifice).
Also many persons in Rowlings books who are well known in the occult are ....Nicholas Flamel along with his wife Perenelle.These two were actual occultistswho lived in the 13th century.Nicholas Flamel practised alchemy and was reputed to have created the ''Philosopher's stone''(produce the elixer of life,which would make one immortal)
There is no imagination but copying the character of Nicholas Flamel and his wife into the book.
Also mentioned are Adalbert ,and 18th century archbishop of Canterbury convicted of sorcery(portrayed, in a positive light by Rowling);and Paracelsus,a Swiss alchamist.
Imagination is one thing and occult is another....
Unfortunately it closely parallels contemporary occult activity.
In the imagination much warfare takes place,as the Apostle Paul writes:For thought we walk in the flesh,we do not war after flesh(for the weapons of our warfare are not carnal,but mighty through God to the pulling down of stronholds),casting down imaginations(the greek word here is logismoi...which means thoughts......to denote thought suggested by the devil...evil one ) and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ(11Cor.10:3-5).
Elsewhere the Apostle states :For we wrestle not against flesh and blood,but against principalities,against powers,against the rulers of the darkness of this world,against spiritual wickedness in high places (Eph .6:12)

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Any1 with magical powers is into black magic so i recom JKRowling has satanic beliefs.

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Potter Schmotter

Harry Potter is a marketing conspiracy extraordinaire. The subject matter and its anti-Christian (to some) values are not so interesting.

In the western world there is a generation of 15-30 year olds that have been shifted away from books by other media and have low levels of print literacy and (sometimes) higher levels of other forms of literacy. Books don't compete that well with mass homicide or driving 300mph in computer games, for the disposable dollar of the obese stupid couch potato kid.

JK Rowling (and trash like Goosebumps and things before her) can at least be thanked for getting younger kids interested in the printed word, post nursery picture books, as something cool.

The Harry Potter series is unoriginal rubbish written, edited, published and marketed by a very effective machine. The many publishers who rejected her work would be kicking themselves. As a commercial proposition with all the film and merchandise tie-ins the series is brilliant. All by a one-hit wonder author with the literary ability of an Enid Blyton.

If natural justice applied there would be millions in royalties due to a Bathurst, NSW writer who created the Harry Potter character in the mid 80's...

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
JK Rowling (and trash like Goosebumps and things before her) can at least be thanked for getting younger kids interested in the printed word, post nursery picture books, as something cool.

hey, those Goosebumps books were good, although the Fear Street books were the gold standard for tween horror

the stink about Harry Potter being "occult" is just dust being kicked up by adults that have forgotten what it's like to be a kid. the more the grownups dislike something, the more the kids want it. not to mention that the greatest children's books (Harry Potter included) twist reality just enough so that the child protaganist is in power, but the world isn't so off that it's unrecognizable from the everyday. think Road Dahl (I cannot remember how to spell his first name), Dr. Seuss and those Lemony Snicket books that are starting to get popular. Harry Potter is just enough weird to make a kid want to sit down and stick around for a while in his world.
besides, the people that think Harry Potter will suck their children into the occult are doing their kids a huge disservice by assuming the kids have no concept of the difference between fiction and reality. if those kids aren't fully clear on the difference between Hogwarts and Everytown Elementary, that's the parent's fault, not J.K. Rowling's.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Harry Potter is no occuly, it is a series of books that kids seem to really enjoy reading about and making their little "Harry Potter Clubs" and playing Potter outside with their friends. I don't see them sacrificing goats, or killing themselves for Lucifer. There are no subliminal messages in those books, if you read the book backwards all that will happen is that you will be really really confused. It's just a book, a childrens book.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 02:12 AM
link   
It is not just a children's book.

It is a big bucks business game involving a wide variety of media.

Adults seem to prefer the movies to the books.

I personally wonder whether Rowling will 'write' anything again.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
I personally wonder whether Rowling will 'write' anything again.

doubtful. hell, she doesn't need to. she's apparently now a billionaire. besides, nothing she does after Potter will score nearly as much, and be seen as a failure no matter what. she's best off calling it a day after the Potter series wraps up.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join