It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The US is ready to hand over the internet on Sept. 30

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   

The US has confirmed it is finally ready to cede power of the internet’s naming system, ending the almost 20-year process to hand over a crucial part of the internet's governance.

The Domain Naming System, DNS, is one of the internet’s most important components.
www.bbc.com...

The legality of the Obama administration’s Internet giveaway being questionable, the potential dangers of a U.N. takeover are alarming.

Will the United Nations gain control over the Internet under Barack Obama’s giveaway plan?

That is the question being asked around Washington, D.C., right now. The Wall Street Journal answered with its explosive article, “An Internet Giveaway to the U.N.”

The administration argues that the “transition” will have no practical effect on how the Internet operates, but Judith Bergman of the Gatestone Institute disagrees.

Pointing to the U.N.’s Geneva Declaration of Principles which clearly lays out the U.N.’s designs on taking over the Internet, Bergman argues that the giveaway could, “spell the end of the current era of free speech on the Internet, as well as free enterprise.”

Authoritarian governments around the world bolster Bergman’s case. China issued a statement saying, “It is necessary to ensure that United Nations plays a facilitating role in setting up international public policies pertaining to the Internet.”

The Russians weighed in, arguing that, “We consider it necessary to consecutively increase the role of governments in the Internet governance, with strengthening the activity of the International Telecommunications Union [the UNs telecommunications arm] in this field… in the development of ethical aspects of Internet use.”
www.wnd.com...

The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (Icann) has managed the internet's addressing system on behalf of the US government for years.
The contract between Icann and the US government is expected to expire on September 30.
www.dailymail.co.uk... t-to.html

Concerns were also raised that UN control would give authoritarian states like China and Iran equal votes among other countries in influencing policies that affect free speech.

While some might view the Russians calling for the development of the “ethical aspects” of anything as laughable, in reality it is a direct pathway toward censorship of the Web.

It’s a move that has been fiercely criticized by some US politicians as opening the door to the likes of China and Russia to meddle with a system that has always been “protected” by the US.

I am not sure what to make of this. What if this is all just an overreaction or is Sept. 30th the beginning of internet censorship in the US like in China.

What do you think ATS? Any reason for concern? Will internet users notice a difference/change?

Other relevant links:
www.wsj.com...
edit on 5-9-2016 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I'm not sure what will come of this either. It seems to me that there should be someone who is accountable to the public here in America looking over the net here.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
The US must have control!
Of Everythingthinginging!
Muaha

ha

ha

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: gmoneystunt

I am not sure what to make of this. What if this is all just an overreaction or is Sept. 30th the beginning of internet censorship in the US like in China.

the internet in the US will never be censored like how it is in China.

the most that will happen is minor censoring of which probably already happens and probably wont affect 99.99% of the population.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

I am with you, I don't know what to make of this. The question that springs immediately to mind is: what does this "giveaway" do to enable any type of censorship? What does this move do to leverage other nation's ability to effectively censor the Internet?

Does anyone have an idea what the Internet 'look' like come Oct. 1st? Given this proposed giveaway, will "Joe six-pack" logon Oct. 1st to a 'new' internet, or will it be business as usual?

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat
It means GoDaddy might have reduced revenues. For one thing.

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

Does anyone have an idea what the Internet 'look' like come Oct. 1st? Given this proposed giveaway, will "Joe six-pack" logon Oct. 1st to a 'new' internet, or will it be business as usual?

I got more questions than answers, thats for sure. Good point, will it be a drastic prepared change or will it progress slowly.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I think one important aspect not to be overlooked is the laws that allow damn near anything to be allowed to be spoken about in America without much consequence. The UN is composed of many nations that criminalize speech. Heck, they criminalized offensive speech online in Australia as a case earlier this year demonstrated.

Will this lack of free speech now carry over to the internet ??? As far as speech goes, America is no doubt the leader of saying any god damned thing you want to say without criminal repercussions (outside of inciting violence or calling for murder). Maybe it was this value that keep the internet free under our watch?? This is a legitimate concern for me and should be for everyone.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry
The only impact I can see on "free speech" would be in the issuing of new domain names. But, I'm not sure how that could influence free speech unless there would be new regulation regarding requirements for registration.

Or, are people saying that the US is really liberal about that sort of thing and the UN would be less so?

edit on 9/6/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
The www. has become the economic exchange platform for the planet. No one, not even the UN will mess with that.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I think the UN would not be nearly as liberal in the naming rights. And it would be not too far fetched to believe they may in fact change the requirements of registration. New players want things done differently. Just like when one company buy another, they change some of the rules and regulations.

It is almost certain that there would be procedural changes simple for the fact that "under new management" always comes with changes.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
The internet is already pretty much controlled. I suppose this will just make it more so, which would mean that its going to get even more lamer on this interweb then usual.

It's pretty dam silly to put laws and regulations by various large group entities such as nations and corps and ideologies, on user content generated mediums, because without that. What do you have? Indoctrination most likely. But a medium with to many overbearing laws and regulations especially in certain leaning favors, well it will open up the doors to even more redundancy and the he said she said two prong circus people so like to play.

But then again if people are not told who or what is good for them, and how to do things for every facet of there life's. Well then? How will they know what to do and what is good and right for them? Right?

In the olden times, which was and still is not that long ago, but in them olden times religion did that, you know impose that narative, why even in the Bible, or Talmud, Quran you are told how to do everything from when and were to pray, to what to eat, to what to wear, at what times, to when to do it, and were to be, to everything in between, including how to do it. Sometimes quite literally as it even tells you how to have sex with you wife. You know in case people forget, because if a book does not tell them how to get down and dirty with there wife, well how will they know?

Its not like they will just learn by themselves right?

Or and before that, if you go farther in history? Well you had more of the same, you had nam shubs on how to bake bread and pick wheat, for gods sake, because didn't know how to do it and even when they did, well people forgot how do it, and it required literally generations upon generation before that was a self learned behavior thought by word of mouth or memetic evolution.

And its not like knowledge learned in a lifetime for one, is passed on to the next generations by magic thoughts right, every generation back then it must have been like, "oh! Got to start this all over again, they forgot how to bake bread every time the nile ran a bit over and flooded and wiped off the store rooms of clay tablets were knowledge was stored"

Though to be fair it would be no different then today. Kill off the internet or a big enouph flood, and well? We will be in caves and wood split townships in literally a few generations. I mean how will people know how to build anything without books or the internet or youtube?

And before that? Lots of half assed gene splicing me thinks, depending on what you're leaning in ancient human history on this planet is leaning to. And before that? Well anybody guess is as good and any, or not. But back to the topic at hand. Yes this may be a good thing. After all, if somebody does not say and make code of law and conduct on what is good and bad even on the internet. Well then? How will people know what to do and think...Right?

I don't know dude! Which narrative do you want to see and read about on the internet? The UN's and there handlers, Putin's and Russia? The good ol USA and the various Corps? Or well whoever else out to make a grab at that handle? Take your pick I suppose, all would know what is you should hear, and see, and what would be good, or bad for your or the people, and all would gladly impose that narrative day in and day out ad nauseum for ever and ever.

Not like it matters in the scope of things, but I suppose those are your choices, so pick your poison.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
If nations like Russia and China are involved (as they are U.N. member states) they might try to push through things like surveillance and information blackouts, maybe even put a stop to piracy.
edit on 06amTue, 06 Sep 2016 00:20:14 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry
The analogy of a company buyout may not be the best but I do see your point.

But, while I am a US citizen, I don't think the US way is the only way. I think that change always involves uncertainty. Remember the net neutrality brouhaha?

As has been said, I don't think that we, as consumers, or even many, if any businesses, will notice any change. The internet has a life of its own. No matter how anyone may want to make it something else, it will be what it will be. Based on us.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   

What do you think ATS? Any reason for concern? Will internet users notice a difference/change?

Nothing surprises me anymore. This could be more proof to the NWO if anything.

I say it's time to create a new internet and the world powers that be, can keep their corrupt hands off of it.

Again Obama proves himself as a sell out again, for the Globalist. He demonstrates how much he hates the USA. The fact is if the UN gets control of the internet free speech will be first to be remove.

Many well informed people around the world will throw their computers in the trash when this happens, just like millions of Americans who have finally turned off lame stream properganda media, want proof? just look at the poor ratings.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

well then I do hope for the best. It would be funny if everyone gets a '404 for twelve hours on EVERYTHING. Then when it comes back online, headlines read:

"Aliens Finally Decided to Invade the World"
"USA Declares Martial Law"
"Nations Vote to Unite Under One World Government in a snap vote"
"The Lock Ness Monster Declares it is the Second Coming of Jesus, Initiates the Rapture"
. Then minutes later all local broadcasts confirm them as true.

That would suck, well maybe except Nessy.

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Well, first of all - this is the ACTUAL TITLE OF THE BBC article:

US ready to 'hand over' the internet's naming system

That hardly transcribes to "handing over the internet."

So ..... you don't know what to make of it?

This: you are buying into what the dailymail and wnd are "making" of it. Which both are ridiculously tabloid like the National Enquirer.

Second of all, you have not read the links to your own articles......
your "title" is misleading.

No one is "handing over the internet".
It is talking about the NAMING of websites. Which is NOT A BIG DEAL.

Do you own any websites? Do you know how little it means?
All it means is that if you want to make your own website and call it "dandelions dot com"....you have to subscribe to (buy) that name. It's about 11 dollars a year...often much less.

edit on 9/6/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
So basically the same non profit company that has been running the DNS for years is going to keep running the DNS.

And this is part of a UN takeover of the internet how?

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Oh my he sure is a busy little bee getting everything done before he leaves office.

I really don't get what it all means.

Doubtful the big concern would be free speech but more of the UN having full control of monitoring world citizens ( fscebook, snap chat, other social media, traffic cams, facial reciginition software, logging in with your passwords, banking, medical records, DNA and other forensic data banks, phone data, cell tower data and everything you might do online and whatever records are being stored online about you etc etc.

Also giving them the power to run the power grids and whatever smart tv's , smart phones, smart cars, smart this smart that all provides

Why not just rename it SKYNET

I frankly think social media and all the other silly apps like Pokemon go are set up to track and profile people who are more than willing to share everything and you can always be found through sho you talk to
edit on 6-9-2016 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Website names are sold on the free market through sites like NameCheap and GoDaddy. They market domain names. They keep track of what domain names are available for sale, whether brand new, or owned by someone else.

What comes after the "dot" can vary.

I could buy BuzzyWigs[dot]com, or [dot]org, or [dot]edu, or [dot]io, or any other number of Buzzywigs[dot]*** domains.

Some people trade in domain names like others trade in baseball cards.
The naming thing--------

so, it isn't necessarily the "US" handing it over ----because the "United States" don't OWN THE INTERNET.

But - all this foamy frothing about "the NWO!!!!" is silly. The New World Order is Already In Order.

It isn't some invisible poisonous wave of choking aerosol suffocation.....
it is simply how things are.

Now.

We have a global economy, and global telecommunications system, global banking, global trade.

THAT IS THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

IT IS HERE!!!

What about that do you folks not get? Why do you keep talking about the present truth as some sinister threat?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join