It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left-handed people

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Do you know anyone left-handed? I ran across this article:

The Geschwind-Behan-Galaburda (GBG) Theory of Left-Handedness was presented in 1987 (Geschwind and Galaburda, 1987a; Geschwind and Galaburda, 1987b; Geschwind and Galaburda, 1987c). The GBG Theory proposes that right-handed children have developed normally; they exhibit leftward symmetries in language areas. In contrast, left-handed children have suffered complications, which have led to anomalous cerebral dominance. Subsequently, motor coordination shifts to the left side in these children. Though comprehensive alternative has been advanced, the GBG Theory has been a subject of much debate.

The GBG Theory ultimately suggests a decreased survival fitness for left-handers. Speaking from an evolutionary point of view, what possible purpose would this serve? A species evolves to adapt for better survival. Therefore, if left-handedness were less favorable, one would expect the amount of left-handers to decrease over time. This does not appear to be the case.

Have you heard anything interesting about south-paws? like, they're usually creative or gay or whatever?

[edit on 21-1-2005 by poonchang]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Here's a list of famous left-handed people:
www.indiana.edu...

It includes Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush and Bill Clinton.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I didn't know "slick willy" was left-handed. Three of the last four presidents. cool

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I don't know about this mumbo jumbo. I'm left handed and definately hetero, I have no speech or learning problems, spent my elementry, junior & high school in the gifted glasses with all the other brains. I was a bit clumsy but suffered absolutely no problems. I did teach my self to eventually use both hands to make life easier.
According to this article I should be gay & have learning disorders. I'll tell you what: my girl freind is bi-sexual & had dislexia but she's right handed.
This theory is out to lunch.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by BattleofBatoche
I'm left handed and definately hetero...According to this article I should be gay

Bill Clinton certainly isn't gay...a thousand women's affidavits can't be wrong!

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 05:13 AM
link   
That study you cited is interesting stuff man. My brother is left handed, he's a total punk and has been in jail so many times they know him on a first name basis. I hardly doubt it has anything to do with him being left handed though. He's just a punk. I had heard somewhere once that left handed children tended to be more agressive, but I've no clue where I had heard that, a teacher maybe? If that turned out to be a statitistical accuracy, I would wonder if it were merely a way to compensate for a slight abnormality, like blind people being able to hear better. Maybe early on in social structures, left handed kids tend to get singled out by the way their desks are, or they way they write, having to have special scissors, etc. Perhaps that would lend some creedence to more agressive behavioral patterns?

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   
lol I am soooooo over the people trying to push left-handed people are either better than right handed people, or somehow "imperfect"...some people have blonde hair. does that make them imperfect? how about people with green eyes? what about albinos? Does that make them sub-human?

Statistically, yes, left handed people die earlier, I'm not sure why, it just is. Statistically left handed people are more artistic or sporty, again, no idea why, it just is.

What about people who are (naturally) ampidexterous (I most likely spelt that wrong but anyways)? Are they only semi-imperfect? Were they only softly dropped on their head? Or people like myself, who are naturally left-handed, but have since they were basically born done some things right handed (I've ALWAYS eaten right handed. I was never forced), and have trained themselves to be able to use either hand in certain situations?

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   
geeshhh what an OUT THERE study. never even HEARD of that one.

when i was a small child my kindergarden teacher tried to force me to be a righty.........and my mom went through the ROOF........i'm a lefty always have been.

let's see...........i have a creative flair, i'm totally type A personality,have above average IQ, hetero ALL the way,atheletic............and i will tell you this......being an athelete...........we REALLY can put one over on the righties.....

i'm a tennis player.............and people automatically SERVE to my forehand.....return to my forehand.........because they think they're being clever and sending it to my weaker side
some matches its taken the person well in to the match before they even REALIZED i was a lefty. lefties tend to have alot more spin and kick on their serve and that really throws the opponent too.

only thing i've noticed is that lefties seem to have handwriting like an axe murderer........not EVERY lefty but it sure seems like alot of them did in school........not sure if it was because of those danged spiral notebooks we had to use and tried to write with our hand dangling over the spiral bound side...........i've seen lots of lefties that really turn the paper at an extreme angle when they write as well...........

i don't...........i write in the same manner as a right handed person.....

i write,eat,bat,use sissors all with my left hand............only things i do as a righty would be shifting gears in a car w/a manual transmission and use a mouse.

i don't find it more stressful being a lefty nor do i think i'm some genetic aborrhation............

i'm just ME.............so it infuriates me to see this crap on lefthanded people.

but that's just ME and my type A personality............

angie

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   
AMB1063 -
I usualy disagree with you, however you wrote everything I would have.

I too am a lefty. I eat, write, and play guitar left handed.
I guess you could say I'm creative - I was lead singer in a rock band, and write music to this day, I was a graphic designer, and won awards for my work (All Macintosh stuff. Illustrator, Photoshop, Quark, Go Live, etc....) I own my own company now, I was an award winning track runner. I most certainly am NOT gay. I love women! (especially my dear wife!) This study is a bunch of bunk.

Think about the "racism" against lefties. Real quickly, one example. When you're at a party and you can't find someone you really like, what's the one thing that is the worst thing you want to hear?
"She LEFT."
The best thing you can hear "You're RIGHT"

LEFTIES UNITE!!!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   
What a bunch of silly non sense...there are many time when you have to just use common sense when reading something....don't believe everything you hear or read....it's just a smart thin to do...no one would seriously believe this anyway......I hope! My hubby is left handed and most definitely not gay or bi. Two of my band members are left handed...defiantly not gay or bi!

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I am actually ambidextrous, as was my grandfather who could write on two different subjects at the same time. Remarkable man was he.........

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I think the theory of left-handed people being short lived is a bunch of rubbish. What kind of proof do they have of this anyways? Have they documented and studied lifespans of ALL left handed people out there?
I highly doubt that.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by superdude
AMB1063 -
I usualy disagree with you, however you wrote everything I would have.

I too am a lefty. I eat, write, and play guitar left handed.
I guess you could say I'm creative - I was lead singer in a rock band, and write music to this day, I was a graphic designer, and won awards for my work (All Macintosh stuff. Illustrator, Photoshop, Quark, Go Live, etc....) I own my own company now, I was an award winning track runner. I most certainly am NOT gay. I love women! (especially my dear wife!) This study is a bunch of bunk.

Think about the "racism" against lefties. Real quickly, one example. When you're at a party and you can't find someone you really like, what's the one thing that is the worst thing you want to hear?
"She LEFT."
The best thing you can hear "You're RIGHT"

LEFTIES UNITE!!!!!

HOLY SMOKES........................SD................who would have EVER thunk it that the 2 of us would be on the same side of an issue.........and it would be on being left handed.

WHOOOO HOOOOOOOO

awesome............wonder if hell froze over or something???

angie

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   

HOLY SMOKES........................SD................who would have EVER thunk it that the 2 of us would be on the same side of an issue.........and it would be on being left handed.

WHOOOO HOOOOOOOO

awesome............wonder if hell froze over or something???

Hey, how are you kiddo? Yep, I have my snowball, and it's in my left hand!

Off topic for a second, Hell is definitely freezing over, because the best team on the planet, the EAGLES, are going to the Super Bowl!

In my line of work, which deals with highly creative Advertising folks in NY, the majority seem to be lefties IMO. As far as longevity goes, I couldn't tell you, But I personally live every single day like it is my last - so if I get cut off quicker than a righty, at least I can say I did everything i ever wanted to do.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Well my husband is left handle I hate it sometimes specially when we have to seat next to each other in restaurants.

Now he has a terrible hand writing.

Now he is not gay
and he has not learning disabilities, actually he borders on fanaticism on micromanagement what make him great for finding mistakes, and saving the government money.

Now he can not stop me from spending

When my son started to used his left hand as a toddler I forced him to learn with his right and he has not problem.

By the way my husband's father is also left handed.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Now he can not stop me from spending

When my son started to used his left hand as a toddler I forced him to learn with his right and he has not problem.

By the way my husband's father is also left handed.

You sound like my wife! My father was a lefty, but growing up in catholic school, he was forced to use his right hand to write. He still uses his left for most things, but does write with his right. My dad is one of the smartest, greatest men I've ever known. My hand writing is illegible, I actually print everything with the exception of my signature, due to the horrible writing I have.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
By the way, my son is 2, and I still can't tell which hand is his favorite. He uses both hands for everything. Sometimes right, sometimes left.
Marg I have to ask, why did you decide to have your toddler stop using his left?

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
another "lefty" checking in here...

No problems for me... well, I need to make more money, would like to have a home that is paid for... hmmmm play unlimited golf every day...

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by superdude
By the way, my son is 2, and I still can't tell which hand is his favorite. He uses both hands for everything. Sometimes right, sometimes left.
Marg I have to ask, why did you decide to have your toddler stop using his left?

Because I tought that it was not reason for him to used his left, everything is a learning thing, you can teach your son to used both hands or one or the other.

I choose the one that is the most commun.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   

another "lefty" checking in here...

No problems for me... well, I need to make more money, would like to have a home that is paid for... hmmmm play unlimited golf every day...

Yeah, I think you speak for just about everyone here on those wishes.....
BTW, still plenty of room here on the Birds bandwagon.

So what is the thing you don't like about being a lefty? My top 3 are:
1) Eating with a group of people and not getting the left-most chair.
2) Trying to use scissors - I now use razor blades to cut everything
3) Writing with a pencil - my hand drags across what was written and smudges it all up, not to mention what it does to my shirt cuffs..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join