It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Little Chatter About Any New Terror Plot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
This holiday season will not include the "Orange Alert" of the last. Intelligence agencies are noticing the stark lack of "chatter" this year. While lack of chatter can have multiple meanings, the CIA and FBI are not reacting to the "lack" of chatter. The are continuing to work under the assumption that we are constatly under threat, and without specific information to act on the situations normal, all fouled up.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - The threat of a terrorist attack on the United States still exists, but counterterrorism officials say there is a conspicuous lack of intelligence "chatter" being picked up.

It's a stark contrast to last year's holiday season, when there was chatter indicating a plot could be in the works. The nation was under heightened alert and a number of foreign flights to America were canceled because of specific threats.

U.S. and foreign intelligence and law enforcement services report a continuing stream of vague, lower-level threats from al-Qaida and other Islamic extremist groups against American interests at home and abroad. But officials say nothing specific and credible has emerged in recent months that would require the government to raise the risk level above yellow, or "elevated," the midpoint on the five-level threat scale.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The way I see it, the lack of chatter possibly means that new channels of communication have been found that can not currently be monitored by normal methods. There is almost always chatter, but for it to drop, might mean that there is nothing new to convey.

There are rumors floating around of a possible attack this month, and perhaps the lack of chatter means that everything is in place. We will have to wait and see if the rumors are true, or if we will have a safe and happy holiday season.

Related News Links:
www.abovetopsecret.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Staged Attack on Atlanta, Dallas or Houston on Dec 27?

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Since the election is over, why do we need chatter and terrorist threats?

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Since the election is over, why do we need chatter and terrorist threats?

I can not agree more curme, who needs terror alerts when the elections are over.

And still people will not believe the hidden agendas being place here in our own country.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Election aside
Like Mr. Kerry, curme, are you also insisting that the threat of Terrorism is exaggerated?
How about that its just a nuisance?

seekerof

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Election aside
Like Mr. Kerry, curme, are you also insisting that the threat of Terrorism is exaggerated?
How about that its just a nuisance?

seekerof

Yes, the people who control the US exaggerate the threat of attack to suit thier needs. Yes again, I wish we could beat the war on terror, not create more terrorists, until it did not cast a cloud upon everything we did. With the right policies in place it could become the nuisance Kerry spoke of, not the meat grinder it is now.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Keep talking buddy.

BTW, you are well aware that there was little to no "chatter" leading up to or prior to 9/11, also?
God Bless you. Have a Happy Holiday Season and a Great New Year. May it be a safe one.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I don't think that a Dem or Rep president would make any difference. Part of why they want to strike us lies in our culture. That culture wouldn't have changed if the president did.

Of course another reason why they hate us is because of our policies towards the middle-east.

So what are the opinions on the lack of chatter? Is it a sign they are poised to strike, or has Al Qaeda been defeated, hence no chatter.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Thank you, happy holidays to you Seekerof.

But in a similar vein, not to sidetrack phreak_of_nature's thread, but I think it may add to it.

Australia gets Xmas terror warning

Wednesday, December 15, 2004 Posted: 5:09 PM EST (2209 GMT)
SYDNEY, Australia -- Australians have been given a specific warning to stay away from international hotels in Indonesia over the Christmas period for fear of a terrorist attack.
CNN

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Their is also a story of a thwarted attack in Pakistan that was supposed to be of a large scale.

news.yahoo.com
LAHORE, Pakistan (AFP) - Pakistani police have thwarted a "major terrorist attack" in the eastern city of Lahore after arresting six suspected militants, including an aide of a wanted Al-Qaeda operative, they said.

Explosives, hand-grenades and ammunition were recovered during the weekend raids which netted an aide to Libyan Al-Qaeda militant Abu Faraj al-Libbi, who is wanted for masterminding two attempts to kill President Pervez Musharraf.

"The group was planning a major terrorist attack in Lahore," senior police official Shafqaat Ahmed told AFP, without giving details.

So what do all the pieces mean when put together. No intel on attacks in the US. Warnings for Aussies in Jakarta, an attack in Pakistan stopped, and a possible hoax about a staged attack within the country.

Merry Christmas, or bloody New Year?

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Some intelligence agencies have received information that Al Qaeda may be planning strikes in Europe over the Chistmas Holidays. The target for these attacks may be holiday travelers. While the intel does not lead experts to believe the target could be the US, neither did the intel prior to September 11th.

www.worldnetdaily.com
Several agencies have intercepted electronic communications pointing to al-Qaida's plans to launch a major attack over the next two weeks, Western intelligence sources said, according to Geostrategy-Direct, the global intelligence news service.

The sources said al-Qaida was planning to use Islamic subcontractors to carry out major attacks against civilian targets in Europe.

Al-Qaida has been gathering assets in several European Union countries and Russia over the past two months, the sources said. At this point the intelligence agencies have determined that al-Qaida has been scouting potential targets and has already called supporters to initiate strikes.

This should be an interesting holiday season. If we don't see a strike in the next four days or so, I would expect to see the alert level raised just after the 27th.
But once again, all the intel I am seeing is pointing to overseas targets. Perhaps it is just a mis-direction manuver.

Related Links
Jihadists Plan Christmas Terror
German report: Attack bigger than 9/11 planned

[edit on 12/24/2004 by phreak_of_nature]

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 02:52 AM
link   
The quiet could be related to the fact that things are in place for Jan. 20, also.

I'd hate for them to have found other communications methods that are off our screen. But if they are walking among us, then that becomes more of a possibility. In that case, common, everyday methods of communication become very effective.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Talk about common. How about Christmas Cards. If they are using USPS to send cards to one another including other communications, that would surely circumvent detection.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Christmas cards, of course. Then there are newspaper ads, land lines using pay phones, and a million other ways.

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
One Expert things the lack of chatter may mean that Al Qaeda is incapable of attacking. John Pike of GlobalSecurity.org had this to say;

"There's simply not enough consistent data at this point to be able to draw that conclusion," defense analyst John Pike of GlobalSecurity.org told the Daily News yesterday.

Pike said there is much evidence that Al Qaeda has been disrupted to the point where it may be incapable of mounting a spectacular attack in the U.S.

"They seem to have substituted words for action," Pike said. "But nobody wants to prematurely declare victory, because the evildoers retain the capacity to prove you wrong."

www.globalsecurity.org

posted on Dec, 24 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Actually I will not be very safe as the presidential inaguration begins next year, if the "terrorist" wants to cause a good scare they will wait until the days of the inaguration.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Secretary of Homeland Security, Tom Ridge, has reiterated statements made the end of last year that they are picking up less chatter then a comparable period of last year. He indicates that there could be many reasons for this.

appnews.myway.com
WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. intelligence monitors are picking up less terror threat talk than a year ago, Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said Thursday.

A variety of factors could be contributing to the lull, Ridge said, and he warned that terrorists "are strategic actors and long-range planners" who could be merely lying low before striking again.

"There certainly is a diminution, reduction in the amount of intelligence, and the decibel level is lower," Ridge told reporters, comparing information picked up over the past several months to the similar period a year ago.

Ridge offered no single explanation for the drop, saying it could be stepped-up U.S. efforts to boost security, increase military action, disrupt terrorist leaders and their finances or, simply, the "hardening of America."

"Could be any of those and none of those," he said. "I suspect it's probably all of them."

So is the lack of chatter because they are defeated or because they are laying low waiting for the operation to happen? Perhaps it is because they are no longer using methods of communications that can be monitored.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I believe the latter that they are getting more sophisticated in the way they operate.

If they are going to strike it will be in grand scale.

But if the inauguration comes and goes with no incident or scare I will reiterate what I said before, all these terror scare was all Bush campaign made.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Ya know... I have never really considered the Innaguration as a target. Fort DC is too much of a "hard target". I don't think they would be looking at a hard target as an actual operation as the likelyhood of success would be rather low.

top topics

join