It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: North Korea Warns Of Physical Response and Declaration Of War If Japan Imposes Sanctions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
North Korea responding to the threat of Japanese sanctions, stated that it would be a declaration of war, and would merit a physical response. Japan is pondering sanctions against the totalitarian regime in response to mounting evidence of a concerted North Korean campaign to kidnap Japanese citizens during the cold war.

news.yahoo.com
SEOUL (AFP) - North Korea warned it would regard any sanctions imposed on it by Japan a declaration of war that it would meet with an "effective physical" response.

North Korea would also reconsider taking part in six-nation talks aimed at ending its drive for nuclear weapons if a "provocative campaign" under way in Japan against the country continued, a foreign ministry spokesman said.

"If sanctions are applied against the DPRK (North Korea) ... , we will regard it as a declaration of war against our country and promptly react to the action by an effective physical method," the unidentified spokesman said.

"Then the ultra-right forces of Japan will be held entirely responsible for the catastrophic impact it will have on the DPRK-Japan relations and the regional situation," he said in a statement carried by the official KCNA news agency.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This really is getting to be a bit much. Kim is so out of control it would seem as if he is a Stan Lee character for Marvel. One has to wonder what exactly a physical response would entail? Kim has already shown that he has the capacity to put a ballistic missile over Japan. The question is will it have a decent accuracy or will be like the rest of the SCUDS? Now if he can place a nuclear warhead on it, then accuracy may not matter. Kim is clearly a crazy comic book type character, but I doubt that he is suicidal. In the event of an actual attack especially with WMD in Japan, you can bet the U.S. will respond.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Sure war is a serious thing but how many times has Kim made threats like these. Remember his threat to turn Japan into a sea of fire? This guys full of BS. I'd put the sanctions on him just for the annoyance.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Does anyone think that the United states and other countries would
back Japan if they were to go to war with korea.

I personally think we in the U.S. might as this would be another chance
to install democracy and we all know G.W. can't pass that up..

Geo

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Here is the US response:
US cautions Japan against economic sanctions on unpredictable North Korea

And the Japanese response, in kind, from the 11th:
Japan's New Military Focus: China and North Korea Threats

and...
Poll shows Japan�s hardening attitude to China

In short, North Korea doesn't want to get into it with the Japanese. Kim is underestimating them with his bravado and lunatic induced ravings combined with his sword rattlings.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Just to play the conspirator angle, suppose the US stoked this, behind the scenes, playing both sides, to give other countries a reason to join the US in a military action against North Korea. Obviously, the US cannot fight a war alone against North Korea and win, with it's resources scattered. It would need a reason to get the support that it obviously didn't have with Iraq.

Just a 'what if' to spark discussion. Nothing more. I am not suggesting this is the case.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
In short, North Korea doesn't want to get into it with the Japanese. Kim is underestimating them with his bravado and lunatic induced ravings combined with his sword rattlings.

All anyone would is ask a Pacific war veteran about the Japanese. NK would get its butt kicked. They could probably do it without US help. NK is a paper tiger, they can barely feed their people much less launch a war against anyone.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I am wondering if the reasons for the sanctions matter not here? If N. Korea fired at Japan over them imposing sanctions because of DPRK kidnappings in the cold war, it would be an unnecessary measure taken by N. Korea. Sanctions are a diplomatic/economic act, not a military one, although I suppose that point could be argued. Why don't they just impose sanctions in return? And why is everyone assuming the rest of the world should or would get immediately involved? At the least it would probably go to the UN Security Council for discussion. But it would most likely depend on the gravity of N. Korea's action. If it was one missile or something like that, I can't see a whole world war just immediately erupting. But if it was like they said, "a sea of fire," yeah some mess is gonna go down. Let's hope Kim shows some sense with this. I'd venture that China would probably would wait and see what the US would do before making a move- unless this is part of some larger picture as I mentioned in the other thread.... (hope not).

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Just to play the conspirator angle, suppose the US stoked this, behind the scenes, playing both sides, to give other countries a reason to join the US in a military action against North Korea. Obviously, the US cannot fight a war alone against North Korea and win, with it's resources scattered. It would need a reason to get the support that it obviously didn't have with Iraq.

Just a 'what if' to spark discussion. Nothing more. I am not suggesting this is the case.

I do believe it is possible for America to be privately supporting Japan and other nations in imposing sanctions on North Korea. I do not believe that it is designed to create a war because it wouldn't work. Most of us will probably agree that North Korea will not initiate a war unless A. invasion of North Korea is imminent or B. China encourages them to do so.

North Korea probably can not win a quick victory over South Korea and they definately can not move a large invasion force to Japan. Without direct participation by the Chinese military, North Korea isn't a threat to anyone.

The war goes something like this:

1st month North Korea invades and captures Seoul, but is stopped on the way South towards Taejon.
2nd month, US, Australian, British, and Japanese forces join South Koreans in their defense.
3rd month: sufficient coalition forces are in place to make a drive on Seoul. North Korea threatens to use nuclear weapons. America nukes all known North Korean nuclear facilities by use of the B-2, providing no response time for the Koreans.
4th month: The war is over- US troops immediately withdraw (only because the area is irradiated) South Korea is put in the lead of a UN relief effort for North Korea with re-unification to be complete within a matter of years.

A war with North Korea where China does not get involved is extremely easy for the United States for many reasons. 1. We already have troops in the region. 2. We are helping an ally who could probably take care of themselves all by their lonesome. 3. We are almost ensured coalition support. 4. Korea's terrain makes it very difficult for the enemy to make a rapid advance and defeat forces already in place before reinforcements can arrive.
All of these things serve to reduce the time it takes for us to deploy because they reduce the amount of force we need to deploy immediately.

The other thing to consider is that if North Korea strikes first without orders from China it is a slap in the face to China. China is the only reason North Korea even exists. If the North suddenly starts ignoring Chinese advice and starts a war that is bad for Chinese interests, not only will the Chinese not want to fight just to help them, the Chinese may very well feel obligated to invade North Korea themselves.
1. Because such an insult demands retribution.
2. Because American control over North Korea is politically, economically, and strategically inconvenient for China.
3. Because China is the only nation with a prayer of infiltrating or otherwise compromising North Korean missile facilities before launch is possible without resorting to the use of nuclear weapons, therefore Chinese action is the best way to prevent nuclear war on China's doorstep.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Geocom says,

I personally think we in the U.S. might as this would be another chance
to install democracy and we all know G.W. can't pass that up..

Anyway to twist something into a BUSH BASH eh?

I believe the USA is obligated by treaty to defend Japan if they are attacked. Why do you think that we or others wouldnt defend a nation that was an upstanding member of the world community from attack by a dictatorial and seemingly "crazy" nation?

While democracy would likley ensue from removing lil kim...like GW is the only person that would approve of a dictatorship being replaced with a democracy.

Oh yeah, i forgot to bash President Bush.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I don't believe China's current old communistleaders would just let the U.S. take action against North Korea without some acton on their own side. In time though as those leaders die out and get replaced by a more modern younger generation with more optimistic outlooks on the world they would actually help the U.S. remove the nutcase who is Kim, if he even survives that long.

I still doubt anything will ever happen before Kim dies naturally.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by geocom

I Think the US has a treaty with Japan stating we will come to their aid in the event of a war. However; it is not a mutual aid type of agreement. Meaning if the US gets attacked Japan does not have to send troops to our aid. Go figure!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Japan, for a country which doesn't have an "army" or a "navy" or an "air force' has some self-defense capabilities that would give even a psychotic like Kim Jong-Il pause.

But then since Kim really is a psychotic, who can tell what he'll do?

My guess is that if Kim started something and got swatted by anyone else, including Japan, South korea, or the United States, the PRC and Russia wouldn't do anything; as far as they're concerned, they probably consider Kim a loose cannon, too.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

Originally posted by Seekerof

All anyone would is ask a Pacific war veteran about the Japanese. NK would get its butt kicked. They could probably do it without US help. NK is a paper tiger, they can barely feed their people much less launch a war against anyone.

Paper tiger eh?
Why don't you take a look at the CIA Factbook. Even if they could deploy half of those figures I'd be nervous. Just a note, I've been to the DMZ and none of the soldiers on the line think of the North as anything but dangerous. The tunnels they have dug beneath the DMZ are large enough to feed Battalions into the South.
There general populous may be starving, but that's because all the resourses are reserved for the military.

Later.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by palg1
Just a note, I've been to the DMZ and none of the soldiers on the line think of the North as anything but dangerous.

I am not saying they aren't dangerous just that if the launch nukes they will turned into a radioactive parking lot.

And if they don't then there is no way they can sustain a war for very long. It would be bloody but it would be short, SK would probably take the brunt of the worst part, the main problem would be taking out there nukes before they use them on a massed Army. If we dont get them all then we run a good chance of losing a LARGE amount of men.

But either way NK goes down, it just might cost a hell of a lot more men than in Iraq.

As for the CIA arent they the ones that said Sadam was building nukes and was a dangeer to the USA?

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by palg1
Paper tiger eh?
Why don't you take a look at the CIA Factbook.

Perhaps I should explain just what the phrase "paper tiger" means. On paper, for example in a CIA World Factbook, the North Korean army looks large and dangerous. In practice, they lack the strength and substance you would expect from a force that appears so dangerous.

North Korea has plenty of men and hardware, which makes them a tiger. They can't get readily get it where it needs to be, which makes them paper.
Korea is a narrow and mountainous battlespace with several rivers further restricting movement. This makes it easy to defend ground in Korea and very difficult to make fast and surprising moves to win a decisive victory. On the ground, this war would be won by the side which could sustain a high tempo the longest. As coalition support for South Korea arrived, the North could not keep up the tempo.
Additionally, coalition forces could move more freely than Northern ones. The North lacks the airpower and naval power to be truly mobile, but with American help the South would be able to take the fight up North at any time and place of their choosing, either by air or sea.
North Korea's only prayer is to drive all opposing forces into the sea within the first month of fighting, before America can deploy significant reinforcements.

Tactics is getting there the firstest with the mostest. North Korea wont get their firstest, and once America shows up they wont have the mostest either.

top topics

join