It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Famous Athesist has found God

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I�m not sure if this can really be considered a conspiracy but I found it an interesting read. It seems that after nearly a half decade of preaching his views, one of the worlds most famous Atheists now believes in God. Antony Flew, a British philosophy professor, at the age of 81 years has decided to change his mind and now believes that some higher being must have created the universe. It makes one wonder if Mr. Flew is beginning to sense his own mortality and if that influenced his change in beliefs. It would be interesting to hear what influenced his decision for it had to be some kind of epiphany after following one view, with so much conviction, for so long.

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20041209/ap_on_re_us/believing_atheist

[edit on 9-12-2004 by skychief]

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Alright now maybe others will come to their sences

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Probably making sure he has all the bases covered as he approaches death.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Maybe he now has alzheimers?
It makes it easier to forget the facts.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   
The fear -existential fear- had obviously taken this man. He sees death approaching, and seeks comfort. Oh well, he'll get proved wrong soon enough.

DE

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   
good luck to him, if it brings him peace. Each to his own. Why mock him?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Most likely because it amuses us. It's like taking a five-hundred year step back in terms of rational thought. Is that something to be applauded?

DE

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Like I said DE, each to his own. Hes 80 years old for cryin out loud, he wont influence the world in any way. How is one old mans beleif a step backwards for all mankind. Geez you Drama queen!

BTW im sayin this in a freindly way, dont take offence mate.

[edit on 10-12-2004 by instar]

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   
A public figure takes a step back like that... well, look at how Americans look up to (or down at) their public figure. If he's well known and well respected, could he not warp the fragile minds of the young?

Either this is not hell, or we are not out of it, yo.

DE

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Well you might be right DE. personally methinks these fragile young minds should learn to think for themselves!
Warp fragile minds? What more than ATS forums? LOL

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Ah, but the rabble...they know not what is best for them. Look at the stranglehold of religion across the world. Clearly, people have absolutely no intent of thinking for themselves.

DE

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Now thats an assesment I agree with it! Good point mate! certainly seems that way.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Religion is like drugs,
I don't mind if people want to use it,
just don't force it on other people,

If it brings him peace till death it is his business,
What is the purpose of getting all giddy about it?

Honestly I think we all ultimately face oblivion alone,
I would like to think I have the strength to face it down,
doubt i do, but will give it my best.

existence is a passing treasure,
make the most of life while you have it.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Anthony Flew is NOT leaving aethism

Antony Flew Leaving Atheism?
Have you read the news about Antony Flew abandoning atheism? This would be big news because Flew is one of the most prominent atheist philosophers of the 20th century. It would be big news, that is, if it were true. Evangelical Christians are all a twitter over the possibility, but as usual they are taking words out of context and misrepresenting them to suit their own religious prejudices.

And a word from the man himself:

Anthony Flew
'I remain still what I have been now for over fifty years, a negative atheist. By this I mean that I construe the initial letter in the word 'atheist' in the way in which everyone construes the same initial letter in such words as 'atypical' and 'amoral'. For I still believe that it is impossible either to verify or to falsify - to show to be false - what David Hume in his Dialogues concerning Natural Religion happily described as "the religious hypothesis." The more I contemplate the eschatological teachings of Christianity and Islam the more I wish I could demonstrate their falsity.
I can suggest only one possible source of the rumours. Several weeks ago I submitted to the Editor of Philo (The Journal of the Society of Humanist Philosophers) a short paper making two points which might well disturb atheists of the more positive kind. The point more relevant here was that it can be entirely rational for believers and negative atheists to respond in quite different ways to the same scientific developments. ...I recognize that developments in physics coming on the last twenty or thirty years can reasonably be seen as in some degree confirmatory of a previously faith-based belief in god, even though they still provide no sufficient reason for unbelievers to change their minds. They certainly have not persuaded me.'

Crazy Christians, disinformation is for the government!

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I was under the impression that atheists could believe there may be a creator, but that ultimatley the creator wasnt a loving one.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 04:27 AM
link   
hail to the twinkie. hail to the twinkie.all wise and knowing lol.then i close the locker door lol.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 04:34 AM
link   
'Step back?'

Someone makes a decision on taking up religion it is belittled as what- archaic?

Hubris was the worst sin to the Greeks- to believe nothing is superior to oneself seems pretty small minded to me.

Let non-believers announce when they have created a new world or universe. I'd like to see it.

Flew is unrepenent. 50 years of disinformation and speculation and nearing the end of his road he decided to cast a shallow hook. The real story is that he now ascribes to the very thing he decried for decades- evidence.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by flukemol
hail to the twinkie. hail to the twinkie.all wise and knowing lol.then i close the locker door lol.

Well, I guess you gotta believe in something! Seriously, I never believed that this man had found Christianity, but it struck me that he had found something. I just found it strange that he changed his views, somewhat, this late in the game.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 04:42 AM
link   
The reality is that most people 'change their views late in the game'. I heard a story of this famous boat racer that got lost at sea in her life raft. She was a stout athesist. Funny how when she thought she was going to die she decided to Pray to a God that didnt exist.

Have you ever wondered why people like to use the term 'God' all the time (even athiests?)

'God Damn', 'Oh my God', 'Jesus Christ'.

Why don't you say, 'oh my Thor', 'Baal Dam' etc. Seems like most of the world is christianised

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 04:54 AM
link   

The reality is that most people 'change their views late in the game'.
Does that mean that believing in God is a sign you are dying?

QED Therefore to live forever you just have to stop believing in God!

Eureka! I have found it. The secret of the Universe.

(Well the other secret besides believing in the sacred Twinkie)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join