Police used Tasers more on black suspects, city finds

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Police used Tasers more on black suspects, city finds

www.cnn.com

Houston police officers have used Tasers more on black suspects than any other group of individuals, according to a city study released Monday.

Of 1,417 Taser deployments by officers between December 2004 and June 2007, nearly 67 percent were used on black suspects, according to an audit conducted for the city by a team of criminology, statistics and mathematics experts. About 25 percent of Houston's population is black.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
WoW...Isn't this a surprise. This study is very telling as it exposes many of the flaws that this weapons has the main one being officer judgement.

Another telling point that also caught my eye was:

The city spent $4.7 million on Tasers in 2004. The Tasers were introduced a year after the shootings of two unarmed teens. But the audit found that Tasers, which were touted as an alternative to the use of deadly force, did not reduce the number of officer-involved shootings.

Which is what I been saying all along, when an officer thinks he has his life in danger he would use his weapon not a Taser.

The audit also found that no policy exists as to how many times a Taser may be used on an individual.

This finding is just absolutely unbelievable, no policy!! after all the reported deaths that this weapon have caused. Just let you know right htere how much police departments around the country care about your well being.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
more proof that USA is not only racist, it loves to torture and murder its innocent citizens ,specially if they are Black

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Nope. Its a self-selecting sample yet again.

Look at the figures for black population vs black prison population. Its vastly disparate.

Simply put, black people are statistically much more likely to commit criminal acts and so are much more likely to give the police cause to Tase them.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Gee I wonder if the larger percentage of black Tazerings directly correlates to the larger percentage of the city's crime being committed by blacks?

And further how many police officers doing the tazering are black?

Without those facts, you have no basis to claim racism.

[edit on 9-9-2008 by DisabledVet]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
Simply put, black people are statistically much more likely to commit criminal acts and so are much more likely to give the police cause to Tase them.

Yeah of course the numbers are statistically higher when the cops look the other way at the white peoples 'indiscretions'.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
Look at the figures for black population vs black prison population. Its vastly disparate.

That's because they are making things that shouldn't be illegal illegal.
Stop defending racism and racial profiling.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Thats simply a lie. Theres no evidence of that.

What there is evidence of is rampant criminality amongst the african-american community.

9% of the US population is black; 50% of the US prison population is black.

A black man has a 1/4 chance of being incarcerated compared to a 1/23 chance for a white man.

How much could the cops really look the other way?! And even if the cops were looking the other way, what about the media, citizens groups etc.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

It could simply mean that either the police are targeting blacks more than whites therefore with whites having less police scrutiny on them they get away with a lot more OR the numbers are intentionally fudged. Do not ever make the mistake that everything is exactly as it appears.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

If 'Blacks' commit most of the crimes then it is logic to assume that they will receive the majority of taserings.
However, I wouldn't rule out an element of simple brutal thuggery which seems to be present in most Police forces.

As for illegality of crimes and the general causeation of crime; other arguements for other places possibly.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Yes! Because statistics are inherently racist aren't they! Lets turn a blind eye to anything that is a politically enforced taboo shall we. Who are we to pronounce the truth in such a disgusting way. The police should go tazer a few random white guys to make it even!

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
A few months ago oanother poster started a thread about how blacks were more likely to get jail time for drug crimes than whites and proclaimed it definitive proof the legal system was racist. The study failed to take into account what types of drugs, quantity of drugs and circumstance of arrest. Of course some guy in an inner city crack-house with keys of coc aine wont be serving as much time as some cracker yuppie with hemp jewelry being pulled over in his fathers Mercedes while driving stoned. Duh.

This "cops love tasing negroes" thread/study is the same way. How many overall police encounters are cop on black rather than cop on white? How many of those create conflict or resist? Even here the numbers could be funny. Say only 20% of all police encounters are cop on white. Let's say 90% of those white encounters resist or fight and are subsequently tazed. Now lets say of the 80% non-white encounters only about half of them resist or fight and are tased. See how that works? Only 50% of non-white suspects are tased yet the number is still higher than the 90% tasing rate of white suspects.

You show me a study with equal white and black police/suspect confrontations, with equal rates of resistance, with equal physical strength accounting for any boost gained from PCP or other drugs and show that all factors being absolutely equal black suspects were being tased more and maybe you'll have something worth discussing but then you'll have to account for individual police experiences and learned behaviors and responses which are essentially unique from individual to individual.

If cops are racist this study doesn't prove it. The only thing this study proves is people are likely to buy into studies if the results tell them what they want to hear despite the holes within.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
i would also suggest if a taser is used its more than likely to stop violence and as i suspect more black and latino kids are in gangs etc than whites, then they will unfortunately (or fortunatley, depends on your view point) be tasered more than whites.

I suspect Gangs = violence + violence = tasers

Ps, i am british so i may be well off, it just seems logical. And the WHITE in my name refers to my football team only before i get accused of anything

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by manson_322
more proof that USA is not only racist, it loves to torture and murder its innocent citizens ,specially if they are Black

i take it as proof black people don't respect police.
and resist arrest...

if the study found more white people got tasered this would not be on ats now would it ?

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I think to try and find things like this, how many white and black skin colored people got tased, is racist to begin with.
Skin color is completely irrelevant.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Time for the Truth About Black Crime Rates

"Though blacks, 24 percent of New York City’s population, committed 68.5 percent of all murders, rapes, robberies, and assaults in the city last year, according to victims and witnesses, they were only 55 percent of all stop-and-frisks".

www.city-journal.org...

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
ATS never ceases to amaze me....

This place is like a haven for people who have a predisposition to take anything and everything and skew it to fit their naive preconceived world views.

I seriously can't believe some of the idiotic connections that people make regarding statistics, satellite imagery, food additives, etc...

I wouldn't be surprised if someone posted an article that said 10 black people were arrested and tazed for murder, and have a couple of users chime in saying the cops were racist.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
On the race issue:

The study shows that Hispanic and African-american cops are less likely to taser blacks than white cops, that in it on itself should give you an idea about the racial aspect of the issue.

So the racial aspect is a very valid point that the study raises, but the biggest point that should not be overlooked is the fact that this weapon don't alter the deaths by shootings that the police comitted, so basically the basic premise that led to the introduction of this weapon is complete bull. And on top of that the PD is so incompetent and has no consideration about the well being of the people they are supposed to potect by no having a policy written in regards to the use of this weapon.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by manson_322

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

ha just ha.... another chance to jump and bash America, sad, really sad.

Why don't you find something productive to do during the day

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by logician magician

And it amaze me even more than some people try to portray the U.S. as some kind of la, la land where racism, sterotyping and prejudice don't exist.

Just because you haven't experience it, it doesn't mean is not out there. Granted we have made great strides but there is still a lot of work to be done on this issue.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join