It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's going on at Yellowstone part 2

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Well i guess today the Magma Chamber just got bigger.

On Thursday, a team from the University of Utah published a study, in the journal Science that for the first time offers a complete diagram of the plumbing of the Yellowstone volcanic system.

The new report fills in a missing link of the system. It describes a large reservoir of hot rock, mostly solid but with some melted rock in the mix, that lies beneath a shallow, already-documented magma chamber. The newly discovered reservoir is 4.5 times larger than the chamber above it. There's enough magma there to fill the Grand Canyon. The reservoir is on top of a long plume of magma that emerges from deep within the Earth's mantle.

Source

The upper chamber, which caused the historic blasts and is closest to the surface, is 2,500 cubic miles in volume and measures about 19 by 55 miles. The lower reservoir, which has a volume of 11,200 cubic miles, measures about 30 by 44 miles and is about 16 miles thick.

Source

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: lurksoften

I just popped in to see if anyone is still actively monitoring this, and whether or not the earthquake in Nepal has caused any upticks in activity.

Also, here is another article regarding the new picture of Yellowstones chambers.

New map of Yellowstone's magmatic system.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

So why doesn't anyone quote this from the very linked article in the OP?
"This really isn't a volcano story," Lowenstern said. "But it reveals how the Earth's crust behaves on a long time frame. The crust 'holds its breath' for long periods of time, and then releases it during tectonically and volcanically active bursts." If it's not a volcano story according to the man in charge, then what is there to worry about?

Oh that just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, that we have such a brilliant person in charge of things over there lol. I wonder if he pictured a face palm after he said that.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Where is everyone?
Is there something special on TV tonight or something?
I thought someone would have posted this one by now.
Is this within the crater?

M 3.0 - 39km ENE of Old Faithful Geyser, Wyoming
DYFI? - III
Time 2015-05-18 23:00:51
UTC Location 44.583°N 110.364°W
Depth 5.0 km
WOQ

I did find this map:

www.seis.utah.edu...
edit on 18-5-2015 by wasobservingquietly because: Because inquiring minds want to know!

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

Just got home from work.

I saw it in the earthquake Watch. So they downgraded it to a 3.0.

I haven't checked the maps yet. Not sure exactly where it's at.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

I not famliar with Yellowstone personally, so I'm not exactly sure what I am looking at.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

That 3.0 is actually part of a 45-event mini swarm that occurred near the lake bulge. They just haven't filled in the smaller quakes yet. But I knew about it and this time waited before starting a thread on it, to see if it went away. And apparently, it did go away and quieted back down. But I was on the verge of upsetting the anti-YS-thread starters once more.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

The link won't load for me.
I edited my post & added a link that shows it.
WOQ

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Ha, ha,! Anti-YS-thread starters! (AYSTS)
Pay them no mind!
Observers must be observing,
and I'm glad someone is keeping an eye out!
I remember all the naysayers back when Mount St Helens started to rumble too!
And we all know how THAT went down!
Literally & figuratively!

I've been criticized for 'wasting my time' on earthquakes.
But minutes after the 5.8 in Virginia,
my phone started ringing with people wanting to know what had just happened!
Yep! They come out of the woodwork when they want/need something!
But it's all good...at least some of us will be awake!
WOQ

posted on Aug, 25 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Earthquake near Yellowstone:

USGS
M 3.4 - 44km WNW of West Yellowstone, Montana
Time2015-08-25 07:43:55 UTC
Location44.812°N 111.596°W
Depth10.5 km

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
man burned and dogs kiled at idaho hot springs, yellowstone related

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Sovan

good video , scary, too

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   

they've been keeping track for 107 years and this has never happened in that span of time

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   
That's some insane stuff in that video and the article. I love my pets, but not sure why he jumped in after them, if he was unsure of the spring being hot in the 1st place, unless they were yelping once in, and then I would of been a little wary.

Thank you for the find, I have a friend who has a background in geology in that area, will see what he thinks and report back if good.

I am sure we'll be seeing some big activity soon, with the west using more and more underwater reserves, creating less and less space for the magma to exist in.

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Small swarm started near the lake.

Eyes open peoples.

www.quake.utah.edu...

posted on Sep, 4 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I know we have some new members that might be interested in alittle info about Old Faithful and earthquakes.

www.nps.gov...

This should get you started along with the vast info here on ATS, from some of our best minds.

posted on Sep, 11 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
We have a problem. Actually, I suppose I have the problem. My God. It's all I ever do. Explain the problems. Don't think I'm a pessimisstic ass. I have tons of solutions to those problems. But very few listen to me. I have a problem with truth. I know what the truth is. It's that all I see around me is "truthiness".

Oh YVO, why do you confuse me. I have tried to relax. The rising in the ground had slowed. Deformation seemed to have paused. I breathed a sigh of relief and ignore Yellowstone. As much as that is. Which is that I still look everyday at the earthquakes. This morning, the graphs I used check were offline. So, I grumbled about having to go the other sites because I know there's more than one source. I knock away the thoughts of conspiracy and went to check the maps and graphs. I had forgotten that I purposely forgot about deformation. I check. I was interested. Then I checked the official record and was then confused. Because, the "PROFESSIONALS" at the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory have stated that there is little or no change in deformation. I don't know what he's talking about. Because if you look at the graphs over the last 6 months, you we see a steady rise. It's not quite as fast as the year previous, but there's a trend to the upside. Not, little or no change.

I figure I'm over do it again. No. Looking at one graph you can see that all the newest plot points are to the high side. Meaning up. Not little change. I'm going to do a little bull math. And remember, the GPS to the east shows "little change", but still it's trending up. I guess there been 2cm of rise in five months or so. So, we're at about a rate of 4cm per year. When, during that last quick uplift, we had a rate between 4-6cm per year. So, if it's 3.5 per year, that's still not little or no change.

Uggggghhhh.

Here's some pictures. They say a thousand words I hear. that means I can shut the eff up.

Loading pictures now wait

Judge for yourself. Change, or "little or no change".

www.unavco.org...

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

If you can't see the graphs clearly, these are the links to the actual pages. The UNAVCO can be used by changing the station letters to get a different station. Also, find static plots, the click time series and that will be the current readings.

edit on 11-9-2015 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'm insane. I'd admit it. Some guy has a kick starter to have Kenny Logins to play a concert in his living room. I was thinking about trying to communicate again. I thought I'd do a kick start thing but everything seems to go full circle for me and I get kicked in the butt. I've imagined some creative film-maker making a dream of mine come true. Luckily for me, I'm not imagining much lately.

Except graphs. Friggin' math. I looked closer later and I'm looking at the GPS near Old Faithful. It has risen higher than the peak of the uplift that started in 2004 and maxed out in 2010. I hate me. If you take a trendline from 2004 and finish at 2016, you have a very prounounced 45 degree angle up. Like a staircase. Up up and away.

Hmmm. And, even the most recent uplift looks almost steeper than the bit from 2005-2007. In that bit, there were two small pauses, otherwise, it was all up. This most recent bit is steeper, and it has two small pauses but they are more compressed and we're talking about a short time frame. Little change.

?

This next one is a close up and you can see the uplift that started in 2014. I'm sure I'm just being picky. This just doesn't seem like little or no change.

edit on 15-9-2015 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Just keep in mind that some parts of the caldera walls fell 3,000 FEET into the resulting empty space after eruption. If all of a sudden there were 100 FEET (not cm) of uplift over the next two years, it could STILL be another 10 thousand years before it was recharged enough to fully erupt again.

On the other hand, it could erupt abruptly with little or no uplift at all- if the main deep plume super heated the rock above it fast enough. Don't know if you saw my last thread about recently discovered evidence that suggested it could do just that, because of deep magma that was found to have risen extremely quickly in the past. Scary quickly.

posted on Sep, 16 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I'm not going so far as to say eruption. My point is that the status is UP, and not, little or no change.

But. An eruption, will mostly be caused by some sort of injection. Deep, or otherwise. I have my own ideas, and they are shallower, and it is hydro=thermal.

Forget, all the theories. At this point, even the experts are spout pure guesses. No one has ever studied a live event at Yellowstone. Here's what we do know. There was a change regarding magma under the park. An injection. We can probably assume that this injection led to the swarms. Then the pressure relieved, and we had subsidence. All is good. Because if the pressure doesn't find a way to find equilibrium, then bad things will happen. I'm only looking at trend lines. It can be suggested that not all the pressure was released before the next batch of heat raised the roof. I haven't heard of any new studies that would suggest that there has been new batch of magma introduced in to the system. And yes, maybe like you said, the magma could have come from deep and maybe we haven't detected it yet. Whatever the source, the issue isn't that it's going up and down. It's that overall it's rising.

It's impossible to say how much it would need to rise before there's a reaction. We can't even look at the area within the caldera. The entire region is lighter. Because it wasn't that long ago that there was a giant glacier on top of the north half of the continent. I'm sure that put a dent in her. Even the age of the crust will determine it's breaking point. Without glaciers, and constant cooling, maybe the heat alone decides when something finds a weak point.

A buffalo farts in the park, does it knock over the butterfly flutter by and it sets of a series of stupid ideas dribbling out my head. Oh yes, it did. Sorry.

In brief, the volcano seems not to have cooled down from the last batch of heating and I expect will have a big series of earthquakes soon since there's building pressure.

I'm not even going to connect the last batch of earthquakes from Bald Mountain, Nevada, and put that in this mix since they are obviously volcanic. That was a joke. I have no idea if they are volcanic in origin.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join