It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unconstitutional legislation & the unjustified cost to taxpayers for defending it.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Here lately, it seems like every time I turn around I'm hearing about another court ruling striking down right-wing ideological legislation in state after state where the GOP is in control, as "unconstitutional."

From anti-abortion laws to anti-Sharia laws to nullification laws to laws protecting a business's right to discriminate to voter suppression laws to the defense of marriage act, one after another they get struck down by court after court.

What many people may or may not realize is that these rulings do not come for free. As a matter of fact, they are usually the result of millions of taxpayer dollars being spent fighting for both sides of the issue.

On the state level, the state's taxpayers are footing the bill for some very expensive attorneys to defend this legislation when it gets challenged by someone directly affected and it always does. When the state loses the case, they are often required to pay for the legal fees of the challenger as well. This has happened over and over again in Planned Parenthood cases.

In the event that it's the U.S. Dept. of Justice who is making the challenge, then we foot the bill on the federal level as well, from beginning to end. In essence, we're paying to insure proper representation of both sides of the argument when this happens and it doesn't matter who wins or who loses, the only thing for certain is that the taxpayers get to pay the bill.

Quite often these bills run in the millions of dollars and IMO, it's a total waste of resources. Especially when most of these things have already been determined to be illegal, discriminatory or just plain unconstitutional. Not to mention, bat-sh#t crazy!

While I'll admit that some of these source articles are a bit dated, I think they will help to illustrate what I'm talking about;

www.alternet.org...

Arizona has already spent $1.5 million defending SB 1070, the so-called "papers, please" law, but with several suits ongoing, that's just the beginning.

The state's Attorney General estimated that defending the law could cost South Dakota up to $4.1 million if it loses, including $1.7 million in legal fees for Planned Parenthood. That's nothing new; according to RH Reality Check, "the state is still in the process of defending its last unconstitutional anti-abortion bill...The 2005 law, which is still being heard in the 8th circuit, has currently run up $1.7 million just in attorney’s fees for Planned Parenthood..."

jezebel.com...

Oklahoma's not the only state that's spent money defending abortion laws that were eventually defeated. So far this year, Kansas has spent nearly $628,000 defending anti-abortion laws the state government passed in the last year. Utah's stockpiling funds in the event that they have to defend a law before the Supreme Court, a process that costs at least $1 million. South Dakota's been forced to pay over $620,000 to Planned Parenthood in order to cover the family planning organization's legal fees after the state lost its case, and its 72-hour waiting period law is expected to rack up millions in legal fees. Texas is currently paying out the nose to defend its law barring Planned Parenthood from receiving funding from its Women's Health Program. And Utah just enacted its own 72-hour waiting period. And Mississippi Representative Bubba Carpenter, he of the "But, hey" coat hanger abortions, has said himself that he predicts that the law designed to hobble the last remaining abortion clinic in the state's borders will be met with legal challenge that's eventually lost — basically, he believes that the state will throw a bunch of money at the law, and that it will never see the light of day. Fiscal conservatism!

www.kansascity.com...

Kansas has paid private law firms slightly more than $1 million to defend anti-abortion law enacted during the past three years,

alaskasenatedems.com... uit/

“The court fight, which cost the state $618,000 in 2001, is likely to cost a million dollars or more in 2014. I expect that the regulations will again be struck down and we will be on the hook for litigation costs,” said Senator Gardner.

www.salon.com...

Grande is a signatory of the “Contract from America” (not to be confused with Grover Norquist’s “Contract with America”), a Tea Party document that, among other pledges, calls on lawmakers to identify “waste and ineffectiveness” in government and to end “runaway government spending.”

Except, that is, when it comes to abortion. Then Grande is willing to bet the (tax payer-funded) house.

Those were just a few examples and I assure you there's plenty more where those came from.

Now I don't know how the rest of you feel about this but I sure as hell don't like my tax dollars being spent on useless legislation, much less the cost of defending it when a brain dead monkey would know it won't hold up in court.

These pathetic exercises in governance are the new norm for GOP controlled state legislatures and they're throwing away our tax dollars right and left defending their actions when much better things could be accomplished with that money.

Oh yeah, did I mention that all the while they're claiming to be the party that's going to eliminate government waste and reduce taxes?

IMO, the new GOP is rapidly proving to be the literal definition of "government waste."

I'm beginning to think that it may be a good idea to find a way to hold those responsible, accountable. Maybe we could find a way to deduct the cost of these unsuccessful defenses straight out of the salaries of those legislators who voted to support the legislation in question. I'd just bet they'd think twice before supporting such B.S. in the future if that were the case.

If this isn't "Political Madness," then I don't know what is. What say you ATS?

edit on 27-2-2014 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

The GOP only complains about spending only if it's on the poor and needy.

Corporations, Wall Street, Their own Pockets, Oppression, all worthy causes for Taxpayer money.

Even the Republican candidate for Texas Governor is off to an early start.....

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott's office was working on an appeal Thursday of a federal judge's decision to lift the state's ban on gay marriage.

Republican Wasting More Money

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
This is what happens when people think their religion or bigotry can override the constitution. When a law is ruled as unconstitutional then the people who drafted the bill should be forced to pay the court cost. This would make these elected officials get off their butts and do some research before wasting tax payer money.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

BritofTexas

Now that's a damned lie.

Corporations, Wall Street, Their own Pockets, Oppression, all worthy causes for Taxpayer money.

Irrational hatred to an ideology.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Much of this seems to stem from the overreach of federal government. Basically the feds hate the idea of state rights that don't agree with whoever happens to be in power at the moment.

As example, you won't see the DOJ jumping in to defend constitutional rights in Connecticut over their ridiculous anti 2nd amendment law to register all those "assault weapons" but if that law down in Arizona to let private business owners refuse service to gay people would have passed... whoo boy. You can bet the DOJ would have been all over it.

This is all about ideological control and as long as they hold the purse strings we're screwed. Dems and GOP are both to blame and we'd be better of without either of them. That goes for lawyers too.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

beezzer

BritofTexas

Now that's a damned lie.

Really? Recent events would suggest otherwise.

Irrational hatred to an ideology.

"Irrational hatred to an ideology." Is what the OP is talking about. It is precisely what is costing the Taxpayer Millions.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
What I truly do not understand, and it may be too much of a blanket statement, is this:
Americans appear to want to have as little government input as possible. As a whole, the message I`ve been getting is that the government should not play a major role in health care, living arrangements, food needs, etc. So why is it that when it comes to what people are doing with their reproductive organs (sexually or procreatively) - its open season.

Why not just offer blanket approval for people choosing to do things when they are the age of majority, so long as they harm no other independent person or someone`s dependants (and offending your fragile mind does not count). Wouldn`t it do wonders for the budget...

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

How much is it costing us for the Obama Justice Dept to defend their scandals and spying?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Now that is a bigoted comment if I have ever heard one.

But what can one expect from the party of 'tolerance, and compassion, etc'.

I guess pay no never mind to the BIGOTED laws that get introduced in this country that costs millions of jobs, and trillions in wealth.

Lots of examples for one to choose from there:

From 70 years of gun control laws.

Over 100 years attacking bankers, and the financial Industry.

So why is that even relevant to the topic ?

Clearly it is acceptable for the GOP opposites to be bigots, and waste trillions in money,

Oh and Since FDR, and the era of the 'great society' what is the score there ?

More people broke, out of work, and more dependent on government than EVER in this nations entire history.

But please by all means cry about the GOP 'blowing' money.

Please don't pay attention to the 7 trillion the GOP opposites spent for the last 6 years.

And please for the love of GOD FTW( Yeah I went there because no matter what some people try to make it Religion is not a dirty word to me.)

Please by all means ignore the sum totally for all the promises made to social engineering programs ( ya know those programs GOP opposites say is so GD important .) is over $`120 trillion dollars.

Instead of people adapting to an ever changing environment GOP opposites have blown, and destroyed TRILLIONS changing the environment to suit the mediocre of society.

Yeah well thats all I have to say.

Had enough of the hyperbole, and vitriol, and feigned outrage about the GOP in this thread.

It really is astounding there there are some people who think they left is 'better' than the right.

They aren't.

They aren't even close to being.

But hey makes for some 'good' dogma.

Oh and dogma is another word for BIGOTRY that gets translated in to laws that GOP haters for some odd reason won't ever acknowledge.
edit on 27-2-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Let's not forget that those in the judicial system are paid whether or not they hear cases, at least with regards to judges, court employees and such. So yes, it is spending money on both sides of the argument, but it's also money spent whether or not court is in session at all. But all they have to do is show up to the office.

Lawyers... well.

edit on 2/27/2014 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Are you joking, OP?? Obamacare, which is solely the work of Democrats, has already cost the taxpayers a trillion dollars. We are just starting down the long road to having it (rightfully) declared unconstitutional.

Besides, the expensive legal process you decry is the only thing standing between you and tyrannical legislation. Should we just declare trial by jury to be too expensive and time-consuming as well?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
It's not just Republicans doing this. Look at all the anti gun legislation that we have had to battle. Colorado's recall and all that.

What we need is less legislation from both sides, and more going through the current regs we have, and adjusting or dumping them. We have tons of pointless, useless, wasteful laws and bills already in effect, many are redundant.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   

JewelFlip
What I truly do not understand, and it may be too much of a blanket statement, is this:
Americans appear to want to have as little government input as possible. As a whole, the message I`ve been getting is that the government should not play a major role in health care, living arrangements, food needs, etc. So why is it that when it comes to what people are doing with their reproductive organs (sexually or procreatively) - its open season.

Why not just offer blanket approval for people choosing to do things when they are the age of majority, so long as they harm no other independent person or someone`s dependants (and offending your fragile mind does not count). Wouldn`t it do wonders for the budget...

You sound like one of us "loony" libertarians. I agree with everything you said.

What do I care if 2 guys wanna hook up or get married? It is not my particular flavor of brandy, but last time I checked, I wasnt granted power by God to decide what should make others happy. In fact I am pretty sure he empowered us all with the ability to decide that for ourselves, as long as we are not damaging anyone else either physically or financially.

Everyone on either bandwagon needs to get off of it, and get back on the one for freedom.

Freedom to be gay if you want, freedom not to like gays if you want, as long as you dont harm anyone because of this belief.

Seems they are all so busy trying to tell others how they must live by their rules, but refusing to live by those same impossed rules when they come from another.

It is retarded.

You on the left, leave the religious peeps alone, let them have their christmas trees, and easter egg hunts, you bunch of douche bags.

You on the right, let gay people get married and be miserable the rest of their lives just like everyone else, you bunch of douche bags.

None of you extremists on either side have any right to dictate what others do as long as they arent harming anyone else.

If I dont start seeing some "common sense" out of all of you, I will be back to further excoriate the lot of you for being pig headed ego tripping "my way or the highway" types.

Now good day

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
It's not just Republicans doing this. Look at all the anti gun legislation that we have had to battle. Colorado's recall and all that.

What we need is less legislation from both sides, and more going through the current regs we have, and adjusting or dumping them. We have tons of pointless, useless, wasteful laws and bills already in effect, many are redundant.

I couldnt agree more.

Every single time they pass another law, it is one more right that is lost or impeded.

My idea of a "perfect society" isnt one where there are millions of regulations, pertaining to every aspect of my life.

If I am not hurting anyone else it should be legal.

It takes like a handful of laws to have a perfect legal system.

We dont need tens of thousands of laws about theft. We need one. If you steal you go to jail, the more you stole the longer the sentence.

We dont need tens of thousands of laws to stop killers. Just one. Dont kill or you will go to jail.

We dont need thousands of laws for anything.

It is all very simple to understand to me.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   

neo96

It really is astounding there there are some people who think they left is 'better' than the right.

GOP right? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Give me a break.

Repulicans and democrats seem the same to me.

Do you American have tiny little gold fish memorys? Can you only rember one president at a time.

Look at the massive expansion of goverment under Bush, the huge bailouts?
And Bush was just following on Form Clinton and he from Bush senior ect Obama just following the pattern and the next president Republican or Democrat will be just as bad.

Dont you get it! They are all the same scum, democrat and republican?

Your two party system is broken and stupid.

edit on 28-2-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

crazyewok

neo96

GOP right? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Give me a break.

Repulicans and democrats seem the same to me.

Do you American have tiny little gold fish memorys? Can you only rember one president at a time.

Look at the massive expansion of goverment under Bush, the huge bailouts?
And Bush was just following on Form Clinton and he from Bush senior ect Obama just following the pattern and the next president Republican or Democrat will be just as bad.

Dont you get it! They are all the same scum, democrat and republican?

Your two party system is broken and stupid.

You said it brother.

I just cant understand how these people seem to be so blind to the truth smacking them all in the face.

There are not 2 sides. There is only 1 side, and serves those in power and nobody else.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by oblvion

Is the same in UK.

We have Labour and conservatives.

Both want the same thing, both are corrupt. There methods on rapeing the public are diffrent but at the end of the day you you still get screwed.

Though alot in the UK are waking but to the fact both parties are useless POS, next election here may be a intresting one.

USA needs to wake up there end that Democrat or Republican like the UK you still going to get screwed.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

so...crazywok...what political group in England do you favor? or for that matter, in the world?....in many of the African and third world countries, you have total freedom, (as long as you have money for bribes)....you get to own any type of automatic weapon you want (as long as it is ok with the local warlord)...you get to have your own protective police force (as long as you have enough money to hire them)...you get to have food, shelter, and clothing (as long as you have the money to pay for it)....so how is this different from paying taxes?...

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

jimmyx
reply to post by crazyewok

so...crazywok...what political group in England do you favor? or for that matter, in the world?....in many of the African and third world countries, you have total freedom, (as long as you have money for bribes)....you get to own any type of automatic weapon you want (as long as it is ok with the local warlord)...you get to have your own protective police force (as long as you have enough money to hire them)...you get to have food, shelter, and clothing (as long as you have the money to pay for it)....so how is this different from paying taxes?...

It's not. That's the problem.

Taxation at the barrel of a gun is just "nicer" phrasing than extortion at the barrel of a gun. No real difference. Glad you can see that.

edit on 28-2-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I don’t support any at the moment, I’m waiting for the next election to see what springs up.

Labour Screwed the UK into 2 pointless wars and nearly catastrophic debt and crippling bureaucracy and Conservatives seem to focused on protecting there rich buddies and while draining the public for money and gutting pubic services while not actually cutting things like the previous governments bureaucracy and other pointless do dos that could save more money that bullying the general public. Not to mention the billions owed in tax evasion.

By the way I never even mentioned the word tax. So I suggest getting new reading glasses.

I just take exception at:
1)bureaucracy
2) Double standards in tax rules between the rich and poor
3) Giving billions in foreign bribes....sorry "aid" to countrys like India and China that dont need it. While we are in massive debt. Cuts should begain abroad not at home
4) Illegal wars

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join