It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now on your restaurant bill: Obamacare fee

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

o0oTOPCATo0o
Why chastise the very same person who gives them (his employees) an opportunity to make some money in the first place?

Seriously...NO company, neither in the US or EU is employing people for welfare reasons.

They are not primarily doing the employee a benefit by "allowing them to make money"....but every sane business employs people because the employees will (even after subtraction of their compensation) MAKE THEM PROFIT.

The profit the business makes will ALWAYS outweigh employee's compensation, otherwise the business would be stupid

Sometimes I am just baffled by you guy's naivety...you really see a company which lets people work for $3.02+tip WITH NO HEALTH CARE as a a holy Santa Claus handing out free money or something? Unbelievable. And in regards to "opportunity"...I have big respect for people in restaurants or retail which make super little money and work their a$$es off...but my idea of an "opportunity" is another than $3.02 hour working in a restaurant with no health care. In fact, it's pretty much SLAVE LABOR and a total exploit of people for the profit of others.

The irony is that the EMPLOYEE working such a #ty job has not even a means to complain because they're only left with the option to duck and to buckle otherwise they would even lose THAT #ty job. The irony here is that not the employees are complaining (who certainly had plenty reason to do so!) but the business owners are those who are wining because "oh boo hoo hooh!!" now they make less profit than before.
I am sorry that in this case I am siding with the employees, NOT the employer.
edit on 52014RuFridayAmerica/Chicago32PMFridayFriday by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Flatfish

o0oTOPCATo0o
reply to post by Flatfish

When about 70% of your money coming in, goes back to buying more food to serve, employee pay, property tax, ect.
1% could make a difference. if they serve 50 $20.00 meals a day, for a year, that is $365,000.00
1% of that is $3650.00. If that goes into the extra cost of insuring his 500 employees it could make a difference.

He's already paying more than that now for his share of the public cost of picking up emergency room care for the uninsured in his county/parish and/or state.

If he was already paying more, he wouldn't be charging more now to cover costs.
Are you saying that the ACA will save him money in the long run?

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

You do realize that there are hidden "fees" and "taxes" in almost everything and anything you buy whether a product or service? Take telephone companies for example. Originally, there were supposed to be temporary "luxury" taxes applied to telephone bills to pay for war efforts (some as far back as the Spanish-American War) and you're still paying for them, even though the war has long since been paid off. Other companies just charge an addition 3% on their bills that is collected on the behalf of the military.

Welcome to the taxation system where we all pay for things together.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

MonkeyFishFrog
reply to post by xuenchen

You do realize that there are hidden "fees" and "taxes" in almost everything and anything you buy whether a product or service? Take telephone companies for example. Originally, there were supposed to be temporary "luxury" taxes applied to telephone bills to pay for war efforts (some as far back as the Spanish-American War) and you're still paying for them, even though the war has long since been paid off. Other companies just charge an addition 3% on their bills that is collected on the behalf of the military.

Welcome to the taxation system where we all pay for things together.

That's the normal way to do it..then "simply" increase costs of your goods/services if YOUR running costs are increasing.
But obviously, sending a rather pathetic "message" was more important.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

o0oTOPCATo0o

Flatfish

o0oTOPCATo0o
reply to post by Flatfish

When about 70% of your money coming in, goes back to buying more food to serve, employee pay, property tax, ect.
1% could make a difference. if they serve 50 $20.00 meals a day, for a year, that is $365,000.00
1% of that is $3650.00. If that goes into the extra cost of insuring his 500 employees it could make a difference.

He's already paying more than that now for his share of the public cost of picking up emergency room care for the uninsured in his county/parish and/or state.

If he was already paying more, he wouldn't be charging more now to cover costs.
Are you saying that the ACA will save him money in the long run?

No, he's saying he's charging more now in order to cause a scene and make a point. He's like the kid who breaks his own toys on purpose and never bat an eye yet screams bloody murder when his mommy throws them away. It's childish and nobody's buying it.

Well, apparently some people are but they are just being preached to by their own choir.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Xtrozero

BritofTexas
A Right Wing owner of a Restaurant chain finds a new way to fleece their customers and blame Obama.
Expect the same from Papa Johns when he hears about this.

So you are saying that there is no additional cost? In the end a company can only survive with employee cost of 30 to 35% and as that goes higher for whatever reason.. wages, healthcare etc the company will downsize their employees in either hours, numbers or both, or they will raise costs which now could affect competition.
My company is far from right wing and they had to raise co-pays from 20 to 30 dollars, and greatly increase emer room, major healthcare copays to overcome much of Obamacare.

Perhaps you missed earlier in the thread when Blackmarketeer pointed out...

Florida Restaurant Charging Customers For Obamacare Costs That Don't Exist Yet

They are Fleecing their customers for costs they are not accruing.

They are just pouting and stamping their feet.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

Oh that is rich.

It's okay for the Govt to collect taxes associated with this nightmare of 0bamacare years in advance.

It's not okay for a company to do the same.

I guess that your published love of Govt will probably assist you in being eaten last.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I like this idea of showing folks where their money is going, perhaps we could put the names of dead soldiers on every gasoline receipt so folks could see what that costs too.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Cuervo
No, he's saying he's charging more now in order to cause a scene and make a point. He's like the kid who breaks his own toys on purpose and never bat an eye yet screams bloody murder when his mommy throws them away. It's childish and nobody's buying it.
Well, apparently some people are but they are just being preached to by their own choir.

So you wholeheartedly believe that this restaurant owner is only doing this to make a political statement and none of this has to do with trying to keep his business running?

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Or maybe they're attempting to avoid bankruptcy.

Perhaps they actually have figured out how much a lump sum will cost when they *do pay* for employees' insurance policies.

A large lump sum insurance payment could be well over a million dollars yes?

Do you think they actually have that much cash on hand?

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

o0oTOPCATo0o

Cuervo

So you wholeheartedly believe that this restaurant owner is only doing this to make a political statement and none of this has to do with trying to keep his business running?

Wholeheartedly, yes. It's costing him nothing at the moment. Overhead costs fluctuate monthly but prices are marked up enough to cover this fluctuation.

If a company is large enough to be forced to comply yet can't survive the compliance, they should just be a non-profit because they aren't doing it right to begin with. Even small businesses that barely hit the mark here locally are able to adjust (without raising prices). And if they do raise prices, they handle it with professionalism just like any other price change caused by the market or government (which are the same thing in a capitalist regime).

I'm not saying the ACA is an amazing solution but it's certainly being a bit over dramatized as a "business killer". Especially when most of the people crying wolf haven't even been impacted yet and don't even know what that impact will be.

My violin that plays sympathy for them was sold long ago so I could pay for a doctors visit so they won't get much from me.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Fair enough.
While I do agree that he sensationalized it a bit, I believe his intentions are pure.
I can see myself doing something like that. A quick pot-shot to the one who's sticking it to you, type of deal.
My employer has told us multiple times how much it cost them to keep our insurance rates the same over the years and it is quite a bit per employee. At the end of the day, I have to think he was trying to cover his, and employees keisters

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

o0oTOPCATo0o
reply to post by Cuervo

Fair enough.
While I do agree that he sensationalized it a bit, I believe his intentions are pure.
I can see myself doing something like that. A quick pot-shot to the one who's sticking it to you, type of deal.
My employer has told us multiple times how much it cost them to keep our insurance rates the same over the years and it is quite a bit per employee. At the end of the day, I have to think he was trying to cover his, and employees keisters

I'm not sure if you are, or ever were, a smoker so you might not relate as a smoker would but there's a pet peeve that nearly every smoker has encountered.

You have a cigarette in your hand, not lit, and a snooty person walks by waving away the imaginary smoke while pretending to hack up a lung, all the while glaring at you like you just threw a rock at a veteran in a wheel chair. It happens and it's absolutely ridiculous to watch.

This man is that person.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

In my mind,
America is the smoker. Obama is the Man and the ACA is obama waving the smoke and coughing.
It is a pet peeve when a pest of a person tries to force something on you (ie gov't healthcare)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

NoRulesAllowed
Sometimes I am just baffled by you guy's naivety...you really see a company which lets people work for $3.02+tip WITH NO HEALTH CARE as a a holy Santa Claus handing out free money or something? Unbelievable. And in regards to "opportunity"...I have big respect for people in restaurants or retail which make super little money and work their a$$es off...but my idea of an "opportunity" is another than $3.02 hour working in a restaurant with no health care. In fact, it's pretty much SLAVE LABOR and a total exploit of people for the profit of others.

The irony is that the EMPLOYEE working such a #ty job has not even a means to complain because they're only left with the option to duck and to buckle otherwise they would even lose THAT #ty job.

Naive? C'mon man. No. I do not see that situation as "holy Santa Claus handing out free money"
Use your head. How do you make a case that they don't get enough compensation for their work, than compare that to Santa Claus, as if Santa doesn't do enough for people. Then you go on to claim that you have respect for these people, right before you make fun of their job. Your argument is hot air only. Next time yo want to hurl out insults, make sure you don't put your foot in your mouth by calling someone naive, then making a naive statement.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

xuenchen

Or maybe they're attempting to avoid bankruptcy.
Perhaps they actually have figured out how much a lump sum will cost when they *do pay* for employees' insurance policies.
A large lump sum insurance payment could be well over a million dollars yes?
Do you think they actually have that much cash on hand?

So, you are suggesting that this fraudulent charge is some sort of Obamacare Lay Away?

How ridiculous.

Should they put a surcharge for the Staff Christmas Party?

Just more entitlement philosophy from corporate welfare queens.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe
At least they are up front with it. Many other businesses will do the same thing, the price hikes you see at the other registers will not be labeled like this one is... BUT YOU WILL SEE IT.

edit on 2/27/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

So? Its that way with everything and always. While they are at it why dont they break down the bill Fürther?

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Do you Americans have GST or is this the new American GST?

We have GST here it add cost onto our luxury expenses, Thanks to John Howard.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Using ObamaCare to steal from the public

"Here is the story of a ripoff being perpetrated on the public by some locations of a restaurant chain called “Gator’s Dockside”. These greedy, larcenous, lying bastards are charging customers a 1% “ACA fee” to cover costs of providing health insurance for employees of the eateries. One teeny tiny little catch: the ACA requirement doesn’t take effect until 2015.

Oh, and the employees aren’t getting the insurance yet. And they won’t until 2015. So the only reason for the fee is theft, plain and simple.

Of course, scam artists abound in America, and there is nothing unusual in thieves committing theft. But this does point up a rather common phenomenon: people using Obama as a scapegoat, smokescreen, or excuse for whatever crimes they wish to commit. And because of the stupidity, venality, xenophobia and racism of so many of us, these con jobs are all too often successful.

Next time you hear Thing One about how ObamaCare is raising our prices, inflating our costs, or other dire predictions of horrible health-care-related problems, remember the lies of these restauranteurs: they blamed Obama for the money they chose to steal from thousands of customers. And beware of the many other crooks who are also lying about the ACA for their own nefarious purposes."

Maybe this chain should add a 90% surcharge for the $2 trillion war debt for the Bush wars. How about a 20% surcharge for the Republican unfunded schedule D medicaid plan? Why not an extra 10% surcharge to continue funding corporate welfare and bank bailouts?

Or maybe just tack on an extra 100% surcharge for their customer's stupidity for putting up with these shenanigans.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Merinda

Kangaruex4Ewe
At least they are up front with it. Many other businesses will do the same thing, the price hikes you see at the other registers will not be labeled like this one is... BUT YOU WILL SEE IT.

edit on 2/27/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

So? Its that way with everything and always. While they are at it why dont they break down the bill Fürther?

They might be like Burger "King" and do that for you if that's they way you want it. And?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join