It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now on your restaurant bill: Obamacare fee

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Well you go into a restaurant and order some burgers and sodas and get slapped with a slight fee to cover the business's expenses for employee health insurance.

This is actually happening at some places called Gator's Dockside in Florida, but apparently not all since they are independently owned franchises.

Must be just one way to voice an opinion and emphasize a point while micromanaging (the law) at the same time.

The director of operations for the one outfit says they are just trying to keep some good workers, and mentions they had to hire experts to make sure the recordkeeping requirements and ACA compliance are met.

Diners at eight Gator's Dockside casual eateries are finding a 1% Affordable Care Act surcharge on their tabs, which comes to 15 cents on a typical $15 lunch tab. Signs on the door and at tables alert diners to the fee, which is also listed separately on the bill.

The Gator Group's full-time hourly employees won't actually receive health insurance until December. But the company said it implemented the surcharge now because of the compliance costs it's facing ahead of the Affordable Care Act's employer mandate kicking in in 2015.

"The costs associated with ACA compliance could ultimately close our doors," the sign reads. "Instead of raising prices on our products to generate the additional revenue needed to cover the costs of ACA compliance, certain Gator's Dockside locations have implemented a 1% surcharge on all food and beverage purchases only."

The article sites other restaurants in other states charging for employees' insurance.

Geesh. Read the "Fine Print"

Several restaurants in a Florida chain are asking customers to help foot the bill for Obamacare

The company employs a total of 500 people, with about half working full-time. Currently only management receives health benefits, but the restaurant will have to offer coverage to all full-timers once the mandate takes effect. The fee will allow the company to continue offering full-time hours to many workers, according to Sandra Clark, the group's director of operations.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
At least they are up front with it. Many other businesses will do the same thing, the price hikes you see at the other registers will not be labeled like this one is... BUT YOU WILL SEE IT.

Anybody with brains knew that when companies had to pay out more money for Obamacare, the customers were going to have to "eat it" in the end. It is what it is, and when people denied it would happen they should have been smacked in the back of the head.

Everybody thought that everything was going to be free and fabulous...

edit on 2/27/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Where is the "Bush-Chaney War on Terror National Debt Inflation" fee?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

roadgravel

It already comes out of your paycheck.

And it's even IRS "enforced" !!

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Reading the two articles on this, the restaurant is charging for a fee that doesn't exist yet.

Florida Restaurant Charging Customers For Obamacare Costs That Don't Exist Yet

Reading the other article, what is not being told is that only companies that employ over 500 full time workers will have to meet the ACA requirements. So the restaurant, which states it only employs half it's 500 workers full time (250 full time workers) is already exempt, but they'll charge extra all the same just to stiff their customers.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Blackmarketeer
Reading the two articles on this, the restaurant is charging for a fee that doesn't exist yet.

Reading the other article, what is not being told is that only companies that employ over 500 full time workers will have to meet the ACA requirements. So the restaurant, which states it only employs half it's 500 workers full time (250 full time workers) is already exempt, but they'll charge extra all the same just to stiff their customers.

Sounds like they're thinking ahead.

A "Test" of the waters maybe?

But what ACA provision says 500 full time workers?

Or is that one of the delays?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
A Right Wing owner of a Restaurant chain finds a new way to fleece their customers and blame Obama.

Expect the same from Papa Johns when he hears about this.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
This fee on a check is SOP in San Francisco CA and has been for a few years. It has nothing to do with the ACA but is part of what the city sees as a progressive way of providing health care for low wage workers. I don't live in the city but travel there a couple of time a month and eat there at least once each month. I don't mind as I'm in their city and they can run it as they see fit so long as it's fair and even across the board.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Glad they are upfront with the charge.. It is better than cutting everyone back to the magic 29 hours and having to work two jobs or go on welfare and some other government assistance program I suppose.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Blackmarketeer

Obamacare tantrum, from the looks of it.

I hear a lot of whining and tantrum throwing about Obamacare, but no one has been bringing up ways to fix the problem. Just a lot of hand wringing and temper tantrums punishing employees. Obamacare is an epic fail, true. Yet I'm not hearing any workable solutions yet.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

BritofTexas
A Right Wing owner of a Restaurant chain finds a new way to fleece their customers and blame Obama.

Expect the same from Papa Johns when he hears about this.

As opposed to OBama that has been fleecing this country for the last 6 years?

And some have the GD nerve to blame the 'right wing'.

Newsflash there.

Obama care is a right wing ideology.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
It's either that or dump some of their employees. Either way Obamacare is doing horrible things to the economy and it's not free. Someone has to pay. Michelle told us so years ago when she said that we have to give up our pie so others can have more. Why didn't people listen to her?

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

No, they are just showing people the real cost of Obamacare. So sorry it upsets people so much to hear the truth. Here is some more truth about how this Totalitarian law works....

Managers say the surcharge won’t cover the entire cost of the health care increase, but the mandate has forced restaurants to hire human resources representatives and an outside compliance firm to handle extra paperwork.

______beforeitsnews/opinion-conservative/2014/02/gators-dockside-restaurants-add-obamacare-surcharge-2814366.html

the link function is different. I haven't been here lately...oh well no time right now...
edit on 28-2-2014 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
>>
Currently only management receives health benefits, but the restaurant will have to offer coverage to all full-timers once the mandate takes effect. The fee will allow the company to continue offering full-time hours to many workers,
>>

ROFLMAO...how did I know that they did not offer their full-time (!!) employees health care previously.

And now they're wining that there is now (finally) a law which mandates that every full-time worker (as in pretty much any other, civilized countries) has to be provided health care (oh no!! How terrible!!) - and are begging the money from....their CUSTOMERS??

Seriously..pathetic has reached a new level there.

Here I have a question for you:

Did they, IN THE PAST, have a surcharge on their bill asking/begging their customers for extra money to fund health-care costs for their employees? Say, if one of their employee gets sick..or god beware would have to go to a hospital!

By the way..what is this nonsense about "showing their customers the real costs of Obamacare?"

Why not show them the costs when one of their employees would fall sick, NOT having health care?
What about those costs, costs which would likely drive any of the employees into ruin? Why not show them how pathetic it is having someone work full-time, likely 40+ hrs/week and assuming it's entirely normal not to provide them health care?
edit on 52014RuFridayAmerica/Chicago39AMFridayFriday by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
This is...ridiculous. Sorry, no other way to put it. I would have gone with childish, but that would be an insult to children.
2nd.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
bringing up ways to fix the problem.

What "problem"? The fact that an employer needs to care about their employees health insurance? You guys in the US call this "a problem"? Why is this? WHO ELSE should pay for employee's health insurance? The Easter Bunny?

Oh wait...the "solution" is of course that the employee which might possibly make $7/hr tops in a restaurant in FL should pay out of their pockets! Yeah..sounds reasonable to me! /sarcasm

edit on 52014R000000FridayAmerica/Chicago21AMFridayFriday by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Does this mean I can't order free bubble-up with a side of rainbow stew? No? But I thought ACA was going to be "free healthcare". /sarcasm off.

This restaurant is being more transparent than the government that drove them to take such measures. And it won't be just this restaurant. Any business that wants to stay in business will have to pass on its operating costs to the consumer. We'll see an across the board rise in the prices of all goods and services.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRulesAllowed

My friend, you are mistaking socialized for "civilized". Just because some other countries have nationalized healthcare doesn't mean they are civilized. The taxes may be over the top in those places, and I don't mean just for the ultra wealthy. It looks like you still have not realized the many hidden costs of this mandate either. Not to mention it has put more people out of work than it has covered.

Interestingly, plans on the exchange appear to be at least double some plans not on the exchange....I thought Obamacare was supposed to control cost?

◦Today, a 27-year-old man in Memphis can buy a plan for as low as $41 a month. On the exchange, the lowest state average is $119 a month — a 190 percent increase.

theweek.com...

After checking out some of your other posts, I see you are not American and you apparently believe that the benefit of employer paid health insurance coverage should be an automatic given regardless of the size or profit a company makes. Clearly you do not champion the free market economy. Once the government begins to mandate all these sorts of things, you are no longer free enterprise but veer over into state run bureaucracies. It worked out so well for the Soviet Union didn't it?
edit on 28-2-2014 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRulesAllowed

Oh wait...the "solution" is of course that the employee which might possibly make $7/hr tops in a restaurant in FL should pay out of their pockets! Yeah..sounds reasonable to me! /sarcasm

Here's the sad part, those workers aren't paid $7/hr, in Florida it's $3.02/hr - but they're taxed at the full rate of 7.93/hr because the government lumps in tips it's assuming those workers are receiving. It 's possible with tips they break $7/hr, may even go over it. But then they may be making much less than $7/hr too.

A restaurant chain is paying it's tipped employees 3.02 an hour and is refusing to given them even basic health care.
edit on 28-2-2014 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

roadgravel

It's in the hidden tax of inflation from the fed printing money around the clock. Yep you are paying for it. What is happening is not partisan, it is Globalist.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join