It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRS to "STEAL" almost 1/2 of 10 million dollar gold coin found on couples own land!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+52 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
A middle-aged couple that wants to remain anonymous from Northern California was walking on a trail on their land they have owned for years.
Recently the wife looked under a tree and saw a rusty can sticking out of the ground, she pulled it up and it was filled with un-circulated American gold coins in 'mint' condition, they started digging and found many more cans in order of years from 1847 to 1894, they counted up the face value and it came out to slightly under $27,000. They took them to a coin collector and he placed the value at slightly more than 10 million dollars as they were in PERFECT condition! Most was minted in San Francisco but a few were from Georgia.
They decided to loan some out to a large coin show in the south and sell them on Amazon, with the money they planned on giving some to charity and put some away for their retirement!
Well, enter our own ORGANIZED CRIME SYNDICATE the I.R.S., they have other plans, they are going to STEAL 47% of the couples find which is the highest they can charge because of a 1969 law that states if you find 'treasure' the IRS is entitled to STEAL.... I mean charge you 47% of your find!
What the I.R.S. has done here is to basically tell you, if you try to be a good citizen and report it, they will take almost half of it!
Is it any wonder people want to 'keep their mouth shut' if they find something like this?
I don't know about you guys, but I am a patriotic American but the IRS is nothing but a legalized, corrupt criminal organization that steals from the public at will!
I would put up some sources but if you Google it you will find all kinds of information.
Now I think I'm gonna go puke!

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by wulff

Ok...Ill ask it. Do they own the MINERAL rights to the land BELOW ground?

There are lots of cases where you can put a house, barn, treehouse, store...whatever on land you buy to own....but the GOVERNMENT owns the mineral rights below ground. Happens all the time.

One can go buy land around a National Forest and build a cottage on your new "land"...but the government can own they ground below what youve built.

Its a common occurence.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by wulff

So in America if you find something on your own land the IRS owns about half of it? What happens when they give the IRS their half, then sell the other half - will they have to pay taxes on the money they make for selling their half?

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by wulff

When California *steals* their 47%, the finders will be left with a whopping 6% for themselves.

Should'a kept their mouths shut...

Des

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

They should have said they found them in the trash...

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
They had plenty of time to think this all out. I think they were well aware what the IRS would do.

They would need some basis if they tried to sell any of this and spend the profits. I do not think for a minute that they have revealed all that they have, would you?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

charlyv
They had plenty of time to think this all out. I think they were well aware what the IRS would do.

They would need some basis if they tried to sell any of this and spend the profits. I do not think for a minute that they have revealed all that they have, would you?

They have already announced on all the major MSM, the gold coins will be put up for sale on Amazon.com

I think they should have gone to a high end auction house like Sotheby's, with a world wide bidding clientele.

Des

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Well maybe their mistake was trying to sell them to gain wealth.

Although it sounds like the found Jesse James' stash of loot.
Which would be remarkable!

I digress...The ridiculous overreach of the IRS is beyond ludicrous and detestable especially from those who find out they "owe" money from nothing. In any event, the coins should have been kept secret and quietly sold slowly as to not attract attention and the prying eyes of the IRS. Hindsight is 20/20 though and maybe these people didn't see this coming.

The gold is worth far more than the dollars they would have received.
Better luck next time...

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Why go public even anonymously? And say "Hey look at all of this gold we have!"
It just puts a bullseye on you for criminals, government, and panhandlers...they will be easily tracked down.
edit on 27-2-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Actually, Amazon has worldwide coverage. They can set any price they want, and you either like it or not. I think it could do better than having an auction. Just my take on it.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

mysterioustranger
reply to post by wulff

There are lots of cases where you can put a house, barn, treehouse, store...whatever on land you buy to own....but the GOVERNMENT owns the mineral rights below ground. Happens all the time.

One can go buy land around a National Forest and build a cottage on your new "land"...but the government can own they ground below what youve built.

Its a common occurence.

That definitely does not apply to anything except actual raw stuff like ores, loadstone, placer gold, but not coins or artifacts that are already made . Buried coins doesn't fall under mineral rights, but this sure didn't help these people..

They should have kept their mouths shut about it and just got rid of some a few at a time.
Telling the government at this point in time, or any police about finds like this could get you killed..Look how it now mainstream, some fool could find these people and demand they cough up some gold coins to them too, "or else"

You never EVER "offer" information, or initiate any contact with any officials about your own property.These people in the IRS have their heads so far up Obama's behind, and that means "redistribution of all wealth"

The IRS should be burned to ground for being one of the biggest blights on humanity to exist on planet Earth.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by wulff

yep .. !

knew that was coming !

Next up, state gov or US gov will step in and take the majority claiming it belongs to the 'state' ..

if they haven't already

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

the owlbear
Why go public even anonymously? And say "Hey look at all of this gold we have!"
It just puts a bullseye on you for criminals, government, and panhandlers...they will be easily tracked down.
edit on 27-2-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

Exactly! Mumblings already of California claiming if the coins were from a bank robbery, the State has first rights of claim to them.

All the grubbing hands are grasping at this found treasure.

Des

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Maybe you should first consider that the gold coins were mined in a completely different place which had mineral rights, was mined, refined, and then used to produce the coins.

The story in the OP is akin to finding a lost item. Simple as that.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by wulff

I said in the original thread that they were fools to open their mouths about this.

I guess I wasn't too far from right.

Peace

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I woulda just sold them under the table...

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Wow how interesting & yes on keeping the mouth shut!
I wouldn't be surprised if IRS as well as others start showing up
on the couples property & start digging or looking for more
treasure. Man are they really going to be bloody sorry for speaking out.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
should have moved to a non extradition country,( are there any of those left) with a high peso to dollar exchange rate,and then renounced citizenship, then sold them. if the irs asked or said anything, tell them to prove where they came from, and screw you irs.
then lived like royalty the rest of their life.
edit on 27-2-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-2-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by wulff

Should have hired an accountant or a tax attorney he would have saved them alot of money. If you win the lottery thats the first thing you do is find a great accountant to lower your tax liabilities.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
That seems like a ludicrous amount to take from a "treasure" find, but I suppose it compares to the taxation of lottery as well if I'm not mistaken?

Given the rarity of these coins, I think it would not take long for some kind of authority to catch onto them being sold no matter how slowly. The gold itself is not worth as much as the mint condition of the coins, so to sell them to any collector or through auction would certainly raise eyebrows before too long; even if only from other people interested in buying. Any attention to that sort of activity would be bad attention. I'm sure there is some sort of punishment for hiding a taxable treasure find somewhat like tax evasion..

While I agree that they should have just kept the coins and at least sat on them or passed them onto their kids or something, but if they were, like many are, in a tight spot financially, this was likely the most they would have gotten from them in the shortest time. Even the lowest % mentioned of 6% is a $600,000 payout - significantly greater than accumulating more debt in the near future.

So, while we can all sit here and say this and that (which again, I do agree, they should have sat on them) we can't begin to imagine the situation that this "anonymous" couple is really in.

Pretty well everyone knows the IRS steals from you unrelentingly, its nothing new.

Personally, I would have melted them down and stored the raw gold.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join