It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your opinion of doing this?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by diggindirt

Dog and cat would accompany me, cat for the mice and dog for the raccoons, possums, and other critters...that would also help with the snakes, but snakes go where they want, I had a 4 ft rattle snake coiled up and my cat was messing with it, that was within 10 ft of my front door when I lived out east in a nice neighborhood with large well kept acreage, also they are a common sight in the garden along with frog/toads... so snakes will show up anywhere and I can deal with them...
As far as the trailer rotting away, I figured it would but if it got that bad, I would be building a cabin to live in for good, and only use the trailer for a temp house till the cabin was done...anyway that's what my thought was if TSHTF...
There are so many what if's and what about this or that...that you have to be flexible and adapt to whatever is thrown at you...and I have been trying to think of everything...but the fact is, you can't be ready for everything...even a bunker is a good idea, until you have an earthquake, or the walls crack and it leaks water in it and becomes a cold damp dungeon.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

What you said is very true, I think you have put a lot of thought into this also. I would agree with you about people and game, to some extent, the area I am at is not close to any major city, meaning I am out in a rural area already and far enough away from any major city, that many/most would not even come in my direction and those that did would have a very long trek ahead of them to get to the area I am at....plus they would have to travel through a lot of farm land where other people would be dealing with the majority of them along the way....
Like you I have spent a lot of time and tried to find an ideal location for me to be at now, where if something happens, I am away from ground zero and any population of any real size. I do not doubt that people will be moving through the area, and wild game will be scattered about and few and far between, but like you...I am sure without getting to involved with OPSEC and everything, you have a plan and have things set up for you and yours to handle about anything you think might happen or become a reality.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

Remember this. As a DHS/FEMA volunteer, I can tell you that most of the roads your talking about is already planned out for the government as primary, secondary and alternate roads. This is for use in a SHTF scenario.

Eveyone talks about getting away and bugging out....(me too)...but if all the roads from your house and all the roads to your bug-out place(s) have military on them...it would be near impossible for you to travel on any of them without the military being on the road, down the road or ahead up the road. (and of course, coming up from behind you on the road).

Example in Detroit. SHTF secenario.
1. Folks star traveling west out of the city, but are turned back at the airport because the military has commandeered it.
Now you begin walking North...but are turned away because the highways and secondary roads are closed and theres the other airport also commandeered by the military.
2. Now you turn and start walking back east into the city...but the border with Canada is there, and another City airport...commandeered by the military.
3. Frustrated, you begin walking N.E., but are turned away because the Air Base is there, highways and secondary roads around it, to it, past it, above and below it...are closed as well and commandeered by the military.
4. Lastly...you and your family start heading south towards Ohio. Good idea? Nope. Now You'd be heading straight towards 2 Nuclear Reactors-Fermi 1 and 2 in Michigan and Turkey Point in Toledo Ohio...and so? Yep...you may have guessed this...the military has closed all roads to and from that area and if you could get out of state? There is another airport in Toldeo...commandeered by the military...and they turn you away.

Every area and person, family, state and highway system is different. But we all need to look at our local maps...figure out where the airports, train stations and highway systems and come from and go to...and try to think what could happen in a major SHTF incident.

Getting away is fine. But on what roads that haven't been closed, commandeered or restricted by the gov? Its a real...though unpleasant reality no one seems to be addressing.

edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

mysterioustranger
reply to post by saltdog

Remember this. As a DHS/FEMA volunteer, I can tell you that most of the roads your talking about is already planned out for the government as primary, secondary and alternate roads. This is for use in a SHTF scenario.

Eveyone talks about getting away and bugging out....(me too)...but if all the roads from your house and all the roads to your bug-out place(s) have military on them...it would be near impossible for you to travel on any of them without the military being on the road, down the road or ahead up the road. (and of course, coming up from behind you on the road).

Example in Detroit. SHTF secenario.
1. Folks star traveling west out of the city, but are turned back at the airport because the military has commandeered it.
Now you begin walking North...but are turned away because the highways and secondary roads are closed and theres the other airport also commandeered by the military.
2. Now you turn and start walking back east into the city...but the border with Canada is there, and another City airport...commandeered by the military.
3. Frustrated, you begin walking N.E., but are turned away because the Air Base is there, highways and secondary roads around it, to it, past it, above and below it...are closed as well and commandeered by the military.
4. Lastly...you and your family start heading south towards Ohio. Good idea? Nope. Now You'd be heading straight towards 2 Nuclear Reactors-Fermi 1 and 2 in Michigan and Turkey Point in Toledo Ohio...and so? Yep...you may have guessed this...the military has closed all roads to and from that area and if you could get out of state? There is another airport in Toldeo...commandeered by the military...and they turn you away.

Every area and person, family, state and highway system is different. But we all need to look at our local maps...figure out where the airports, train stations and highway systems and come from and go to...and try to think what could happen in a major SHTF incident.

Getting away is fine. But on what roads that haven't been closed, commandeered or restricted by the gov? Its a real...though unpleasant reality no one seems to be addressing.

edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

Well I like your thinking about the military being out and having road blocks up around the cities, but I am not in a city and have no city to go through, see I am from and area that has dirt and gravel roads and are traveled all the time by people. They are good roads is what I am getting at.
Secondly, there are not enough forces/troops to block every road in every major city in the country, that's a fact...even with assistance from other forces, it would take over 5 times the amount of people that there are in the military just to even think about doing that. If you do not believe me, look at the wars we just were/are in, Bagdad 1 city ..how many forces does it take to secure that one? now from New York, Boston, Chicago, Miami, DC, Baltimore, Philly, Raleigh, Atlanta, Dallas, Austin, St. Louis, Kansas City, Omaha, Denver, Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Diego, LA, San Fran, Seattle...ok this is just a few cities right off the top of my head...I just counted over 20 cities and at 100,000 per city that's still not enough, because the other thing your forgetting is that it takes at least 5 people in the military for the support of 1 infantry, that's to make sure they have what they need and keep the beans, bullets, and band aides coming that they need...So you see even it we have 1,000,000 troops, that is still not enough to secure every city in the USA, plus we did not even talk about the rural areas and towns that have 100,000 or less people in them, and there are thousands of those...so locking down the entire country is not even in the cards, and will not happen unless you are at ground zero for whatever hits the fan.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
If it is not going to cost so much that you cant prep in other ways, I think this is a great idea to have as a possible alternative. You can use it for camping and hiking trips anytime you want. It is expensive though when you factor in the insurance and registration costs.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

It's an interesting point, and precisely why I feel I'd have to trek home on foot if a SHTF event occurred while I was at work (40 miles away from home). To get home, I have to go across one of a few bridges, or take a much longer land route. Of course, the bridges will be jammed, so I'll already opt for the land route, as early as I can. Still, the likelihood of a jam up means I better know other routes. Of course I'll try in the truck first, but otherwise, I'm ready to hoof it home also.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join