It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rainbows Lounge

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Love your painting! I love the vivid colors in this!

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Gordi, your photos are stunning! You could sell them to a card company or something. They could make cards, calendars, coffee mugs, all kinds of things with those pics!!

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

My god, so much to take in!
I've broken so many of these rules by accident! I forgot about a painting I tried a few months back, so I'm going to try and grab a photo for you to run your eye's over.
From what you say, it's your eyes that are telling you a story and narrative... I'm just painting what I think might look cool, and then on reflection I just see so many things wrong with it. I wish I could paint a rusty old car, or an owl or something... But to do that I'd need to work from a photo or something. I think I keep stopping that because I can't afford to waste the paints.
I agree with the brush thing though! I've got one really nice fan brush (not badger hair, they were like $40 or something!) and it has a wonderful feel to it in use. My cheap brushes are a constant pain in the rear, streaks, not coming off the brush well, leaving random hairs in the paint that I have to pick out. Argh, so frustrating! If I ever get any of these paintings to an art show and actually sell one, I think I'll invest in more tools of the trade. I'd love to get into oils, but when only my confidence grows due to expense. I'd love to be able to blend and rework the paints on canvas like oils do, but equally I think I'd end up with a murky mess at my early stages in skill level.

Nightstar! Thanks for the kind words! I'll have a new piece up for both of your critiques shortly!

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Tick tock, tick tock. Waiting. LOL I look forward to it!

I wish I could remember how this goes...years ago I read about where someone went to a bunch of first graders and asked the students, "How many of you can draw?" All the hands went up. He then asked them, "How many ofyou can sing?" Again all the hands went up. I forget if there were other questions and what they were. As the grade levels rose and the kids got older, less and less hands went up. Interesting how we have so much confidence as a child and then lose that as we go along.

I know so many talented people who feel they're not good enough or are just too critical. I have a friend who years ago painted a winter forest scene with vivid blues and greens and white. I loved that painting so much. Some years later I asked her whatever happened to that painting? She said her mother stuck it in an attic. I was shocked! She then rescued it and gave it to me. It has been hanging in my house ever since, probably 15 years now.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Ok, here are some new works of mine. Whilst I'd learned some past mistakes, I'd made new ones even worse!

I quite liked this one until I got a clear matt coat product that the lady in the shop said I should use on my paintings. I put it on, but it streaked and left marks all over, and darkened the painting. But when I was outside photoing the other painting here, I thought I'd bring this one out and see if the sun to reveal what was under the thick gooey clear layer. It kind of worked...
What I think were my main errors in this was the sky... I was way off with that colour, too simple, too blue... Then I got lost redoing the background tree's so many times that they progressively got worse. Oh well, keep moving forward and learning!

Ok, here's the pic I was originally planning on putting up. It's sat in a cupboard because when it was done, I decided to go in and put a sun in there... It was better before that, just enough pale light that it worked. But the sun just blew it! Also, too much red leaves! I never know when to stop, or go too far. But, I decided to cut off the top part in photoshop to make the line of the trees end on a third line, rather than halfway. I think it helps the composition actually!? I might get the jigsaw out and make it a permanent change!
(Before)

(After chop)

(edit, both pieces are 900x600mm approx 3x2 foot)
edit on 13-3-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

I have forever been a low confidence self doubter. My whole life really. Timid, afraid of being judged. But I can now not worry quite so much when the judging comes from somewhere on the web, and I'm a nobody somewhere else on the web. The anonymity gives many of us timid folk much needed strength I think. I'd love to see the painting by your friend!

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

That first one has a Monet (or is it Manet?...) feel to it....like you're looking at it through morning bleary eyes.

Your second one, with or without 'the chop' made me smile.....the trees look like they have feet and are walking towards me right out of the picture!

Love them, thank you..
......right, I'm off to slap paint on my plant pot!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Can't wait to see how the pots turn out!
What are your ideas on the colour scheme? I liked the grey and yellow. I know you said its some other colour which I'd never heard of before, but on my screen it is really grey! Mind you, I'm using a tv as a computer screen, so the colours are probably way of. Glad you liked the pictures, and I can only dream of pulling of a Monet one day!

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

I forgot to take a before picture of the pot
...I'll take a 'first colour' pic

The colour I mentioned was taupe....goes with anything!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Wow! I love your paintings! Remember, you are unique, in all the world there is only one you.

Try not to judge yourself by others. There may be some people who are better at some things than you, but you may be better at something that they arn't.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Here, here Night! Perfect advice, absolutely!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Night Star
Gordi, your photos are stunning! You could sell them to a card company or something. They could make cards, calendars, coffee mugs, all kinds of things with those pics!!

Aww thanks Night, I really appreciate that, you are so kind.
(I have posted some more castle pics for you, over in the Shed!)

Laterz
Gx

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

Hey,Q ! Awesome paintings!!!

I absolutely love your paintings! The first one screams of the talent you have inside! The only thing missing in the sky is one of your beautiful clouds!

Though it has typical 'beginner' mistakes, what is most impressive is the degree of artistic talent, just waiting to be perfected! The more you paint, the more you learn. I am so glad you shared that pic! I was told never to part with my first paining, and that was the best advice ever. I hated it, as it looked nothing like what I envisioned in my head, but I love to see how far I have come!

You didn't ruin your second pic with the sun; your instincts were right, but the light placement isn't.
The light is coming from behind the trees, which gives it SO much life! Unfortunately, you also placed light in front of the tree leaves in the center, which effectively breaks the illusion. If you highlighted ALL of the trees with yellow leaves, it would add continuity. The eye would see leaves of yellow, red and brown- distinguishing them as something other than sunlight. Keep the yellow highlights at the bottom 1/3 portion of the trees first, then take a look. I'm guessing it might make it appear as if the sun is almost directly overhead. Don't 'chop' it until you give it a try!

My favorite of the two? Number one. No; number two. No; number one.....
As a woman, I don't have to decide. I pick BOTH!

P.S. What do you clean your brushes with?
edit on 4u22America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

My mind is having a hard time deciding if the very bottom is grass or water....a little Payne's Grey highlight would add the distinction.
edit on 4u22America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Hi Qumulys and Nugget!
I'm very much enjoying your paintings and discussion thereof!

I don't know if you'd be interested, but an artist friend of mine (online) once asked me if I'd write a song for her.

I told her that I would love to, but that she would have to decide what the song should be about, so that it really was HER song.

So, she thought for a minute and then said:
"You know I'm an artist? Well sometimes you get so wrapped up in what you're painting that... you almost become... a part of it, do you know what I mean?"
I said "Hold It Right There!!"
...and ten minutes later I had written her song for her!

I'll add a wee link so you can hear it, and see the lyrics?
LINK HERE

I thought that it might be... appropriate? to your ongoing discussion!
regards,
Gordi

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Gordi The Drummer

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there isn't any sound....or else my computer is broken.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

Hey nugget!
How's it going?
I've just checked on youtubby, and the sound is working ok for me??
Are your other sounds working? Can you hear other videos on youtubby for example?
G

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Gordi The Drummer

Yes, I can hear other videos! Yours doesn't seem to want to move forward, and if I manually try to move the little curser thingy, it just goes back to the beginning.
It's probably a setting or something on my computer....but I have no clue!

Clue: I'm too impatient!
I tried again, and just let it run. It took forever to load, but it finally started to play!
I loved the song! You are very talented!
edit on 4u55America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

Sorry to hear that Nugget, that's really strange!
I just double (triple) checked, and all the settings on the vid look ok, and it still plays fine for me on youtube?
Strange one.
Don't know what to suggest.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Night Star, your words make so much sense. I'm always in awe of accomplishments of others, I'll try and appreciate what skills I have more even though I've a long way to go yet, but your very much right. Every little tip I'm getting is really helpful feedback for me. I've got a very small group of people in my life, parents and my kids and a really good mate. All they do is say good things. Which is very lovely, but I'm making lots of basic blunders - most of which I'm having trouble seeing being untrained. I'm loving every bodies suggestions so much on how I can improve. I'd love to one day be able to be happy with a painting I've done, perhaps I need to discover the emotional side on why I'm having trouble with that. I thought it was lack of skill set, but your words are making me think outside the canvas. Thank you so much

Gordi, song doesn't work for me either, but boy oh boy is you and your friend right. Especially when I'm doing clouds, which you kind of have to feel floaty with them as the paint builds up. You imagine the feel of the wind in the grass. Also I find myself wishing to be in the places I'm trying to create, especially since I'm very limited on where I can go due to being wheelchair bound. It lets me travel, hiking in my mind. I can's wait until the song works!

Nugget! You are so spot on. You gave me that a-ha moment! You get what I was trying to create, but to do it I was thinking of the sun more as a spotlight and didn't quite realise it should be lighting the yellow in the leaves way more wider, as an entire scene. I'm heading to the library to grab some books, going to look into lighting scenes especially. I don't have a paynes grey! My acrylic simply says 'grey' and its grey! So, yeah, It was supposed to be water, like the side of a stream and I'm in a boat enjoying the sun coming through the trees.
BUT, that was the after thought. I started just being in the field and the stream was a much later thought process, so the colours I'd mixed before hand when doing the grass and tree's was all used up. So, I made an attempt to sort of match the colours to put into the water. It didn't quite work... Damn! So I think I could have helped that process by trying to sketch on the board before I put paint on. I have trouble fully imagining the place in my mind.. It sort of just comes together as I'm doing it.
When you paint, have you fully realised the image in your head first? Or do you make things up as you go? Very interested in the mindset of artist now. The whole process is rather fascinating when you think about it!
I'm washing my brushes in two ways. I caught an art show on tv once and the artist said they washed up by putting the brushes in hot water with washing powder in it! She just let them sit overnight then rinsed the next day. I've used that method a few times, especially after a long session when I've used lots of brushes. Because I keep painting to the stage when I'm in physical agony (spinal condition problem) because I'm so 'into it' and haven't left enough energy for clean up.
But the other times I clean up by working the brush under warm running water, and have a block of ordinary soap which I work the brushes over into a lather. Then work it out with fingers. I find this method is nicer on my hands than the washing powder method (get red agitated hands) but is a greater time-taker-upper! Better outcome I think, the brushes feel much softer after and seem to dry nicer. This way I probably take 5-10 minutes per brush.
(using water based acrylics)

I'm loving art lately!
It's a way bigger gift than I had in mind before I began painting with so much hidden complexity and joy, so many aspects I had not envisaged as a beginner!

(edit- sorry for wall of text!)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Yet again, another cracking song Gordi, well done!
How does it sound if you slow it right down to a slow ballad pace? Sorry, not criticising at all....I just kept wanting to slow it down to a more 'dreamy' pace if you understand me....just curious

Rainbows
Jane

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join