It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Love or Hate him, Ted Cruz just tried to protect the First Amendment & got rejected by Democrats!?!?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I'm just curious from any ATS'ers, maybe we can take a survey with each persons' post.

1) Are you surprised that Ted Cruz would defend the 1A?
2) Do you think Ted Cruz actually cares about the bill of rights?
3) Are you surprised that Democrats would kill efforts to protect 1A?
4) Is Ted Cruz truly evil and this just happens to be a fluke?

Who in the Senate (D or R) do you think would stand with Ted Cruz on this particular issue?

My personal opinion is that, the Democratic party, which supposedly champions civil liberties would do this but then taking a second look at the nature of D.C. I don't see how any Democrat that wishes to maintain mainstream relevance with their peers would dare to show any form of support for a "extreme right winger" (we're using mainstream language here) like Ted Cruz.

benswann.com...

U.S. Senator Cruz (R-Texas), today offered two amendments in the Judiciary Committee to safeguard citizens’ free speech against unlawful and unjust targeting and designations by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

“Free speech is not a partisan issue. The IRS has no business meddling with the First Amendment rights of Americans. Rather than further stifling free speech, the IRS and the Department of Justice should provide the American people with all the facts surrounding the IRS’s targeting of certain organizations based on their political activity. We should all agree the IRS should not be used as a tool for partisan warfare.”

Read more: benswann.com...
Follow us: @BenSwann_ on Twitter

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by eLPresidente

The Progs have it all planned out! Think about what they have been paving the way for will lock em into control forever.

No ID's to vote!!! Yet to attend one of their rallies you need one!

Blanket Amnesty! MORE VOTES!!!

Raising the minimum wage!!! Make the serfs actually believe they care!

They are banking on the fact that they have totally taken over the political system by their use of Saul Alinsky tactics and that they actually believe the majority of voters are dumb enough to believe they actually give a damn about them!

Normally, I don't buy into what either party is selling!!!! However, do you mean to tell me that the Progs are that damn stupid to not agree to this???

Seriously????? I usually vote independent OR Libertarian, but NOW????? I am voting straight Republican in the hopes they get control and then THEY USE THE IRS TO VIOLATE THE RIGHTS OF THOSE ON THE PROGRESSIVE LEFT!!!

BY GOD IF I HAVE TO WATCH MY COUNTRY GO DOWN IN FLAMES, I MIGHT AS WELL HAVE SOME FUN DOING IT!!!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Cruz needs to really start paying better attention to what he is talking about. Both groups were at fault the IRS and the groups that were violating their groups tax classification. If they want to get involved in politics all they have to do is change their groups tax classification. Making groups tax free so they can buy elections is just plain wrong no matter who you support. Too bad he wasn't in office when Bush was in charge because Bush also used the IRS to target Democrat groups. But I bet he wouldn't have said a thing about it.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

buster2010
Cruz needs to really start paying better attention to what he is talking about. Both groups were at fault the IRS and the groups that were violating their groups tax classification. If they want to get involved in politics all they have to do is change their groups tax classification. Making groups tax free so they can buy elections is just plain wrong no matter who you support. Too bad he wasn't in office when Bush was in charge because Bush also used the IRS to target Democrat groups. But I bet he wouldn't have said a thing about it.

Not calling you a liar...

Can you show me where Bush used the IRS?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

You know, I really don't think either party has a mind of their own. They follow the party line no matter whether it's right or wrong. Democrats will follow in line with the expectations of a Democratic President. The same thing happens when a Republican president is in office. We saw the same thing going on during the Bush presidency when the republican's rubber stamped bills.

Our system is broken, it's as simple as that. We have people in congress who don't represent the American people but corporations and their political party platforms. There are only a few representatives that will go out on a limb against their party and vote their conscience. When they do, they're chastised by their own party. It's really sad that our representatives care more about having a life long career in politics and stuffing their pockets with tax payers money instead of defending our constitutional rights.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Things like the 1st and 2nd amendments are protected by the Courts everbody knows this. Any law claiming to protect them is simply a political ploy. Both parties are guillty of it. So please do not try and sell that anything congress does is protecting anything in Constitution. It becomes even more laughable when both parties go out of their way to deny everything from voting rights to free speech to the other side at any chance they while claiming they are the champions of rights.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
As always with partisan politics there are two sides to the story:

Republicans Busted for Trying to Use Fake IRS Scandal To Protect the Koch Brothers

Then Levin got all truth buster on the GOP and brought up the explosion of dark money groups after the Citizens United ruling, “Why is this important? Because applications for 501(c)(4) status have nearly doubled between 2010 and 2012 to 3,357, and 501(c)(4) spending has skyrocketed. In 2006 $1 million was spent by 501(c)(4) organizations. In 2010, $92 million was spent. And in 2012, $256 million was spent by 501(c)(4) organizations.”

source

Citizens United is not what I consider free speech!

We need campaign finance reform now!

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I am unclear on what he was proposing? And attaching it to what? The IRS is already legally beholden to the 1st amendment?

If I know Ted Cruz, it was a nothing more than pandering, grandstanding blah-blah to the segment of the right wing base not aware that the first amendment already exists?

Next he will try to pass a bill demanding that Judge's rule state level ban's on homosexuality as constitutional!

Oh...he did that last week...
www.burntorangereport.com...

When will he actually do something productive beside look to be circle-jerked by the farthest right of his base by grandstanding on nonsense?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

MrSpad
Things like the 1st and 2nd amendments are protected by the Courts everbody knows this. Any law claiming to protect them is simply a political ploy. Both parties are guillty of it. So please do not try and sell that anything congress does is protecting anything in Constitution. It becomes even more laughable when both parties go out of their way to deny everything from voting rights to free speech to the other side at any chance they while claiming they are the champions of rights.

I rarely agree with you, but this is one occasion where I am going to have to.

Laws retard freedoms. Laws never enable freedoms.

The Constitution was written to limit government, not enable it.

Cruz is just making noise, in my humble opinion.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Cruz is just making noise, in my humble opinion.

I will cautiously in this case disagree with you Beezer. Cruz talks a good game of freedom but the thing that makes me skeptical of him is his ole ladies affiliation with the Big Banks. No disrespect intended towards the ladies, because I am quite alright with be called someone's ole man.....

Yet!!!! What he is proposing is detrimental to both parties don't ya think? The party in power will obviously be against this, so therefore the party that is not in control would love it right???

But the set up remains that this bill can actually prevent either party in power from using the IRS in a dictatorial manner! As much as I distrust Cruz, this can actually be a bill that finally benefits the people from a corrupt two party system....

EDIT: Now that I think about it, at this point does it really matter? This is just like being told to clean out a horses stall and walking out with one road apple saying "Alls clean!"

I guess I am a victim of desperation still looking for hope in a system that has been corrupted to the point of being able to finally open up a portal to hell..............my bad for still having a smidgen of faith......

edit on 27-2-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

*humble nod*

Cruz is setting himself up for a presidential run. This "law" does nothing, really. It is coming on the heels of Lois Lerner being granted immunity, who is probably going to spill the beans on the whole administration.

He knows this, so he's setting himself up to look good.

I like Cruz. Don't get me wrong. But he is showing himself to be more "man of the party" than "man of the people" by doing this.

If he really wanted to help the 1st Amendment, he'd write a law to get rid of the Patriot Act.

I don't see anyone doing that.

Sadly.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I didn't think of it in those terms. All I am doing is working on my stretching exercises so that I am more flexible at bending over for whomever is elected as our next president!!!
edit on 27-2-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Is that what he is supposedly doing, lol? Looks more like more partisan theater to me. Had this IRS thing happened to the other party, he'd be claiming they are just whining.

Of course not. He's a career politician. His job is to try and find ways around it. He only cares when it threatens his own beliefs or political leanings.

Is that what they are doing, lol? Yet more partisan theater. They are doing the exact same thing the Republicans would do if the shoe was on the other foot.

Ted Cruz is another sack of poo in an expensive suit who has managed to convince a large number of braindead constituents that he somehow really give's a rat's a** about them or the constitution.

Do you think Mr. Cruz would be engaged in this laughable legislative drama if the groups targeted by the IRS were Muslim organizations? Gay? Pro-Choice? Liberal? Atheist?

OF COURSE NOT. HE IS ONLY GRANDSTANDING BECAUSE THE TARGETED GROUPS WERE CONSERVATIVE.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

I agree with what you said and more, taking into consideration what we got after the last president promises and lies, I would love to give Cruz a chance, but I can not, don't trust politicians anymore.

As usual honesty is not longer required when playing politics in the US.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
When are people going to realize that BOTH parties have the same walking orders?I've said before we need a people's party to weaken the long time corrupt
Treasoners.The people have been sold out for decades now...

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

HE IS ONLY GRANDSTANDING BECAUSE THE TARGETED GROUPS WERE CONSERVATIVE.

So what if the shoe was on the other foot?

The IRS has NO business in politics! Their job is nothing more than to collect the interest owed on the debt lent by the Federal Reserve Bank!

IFFF???? That is not bad enough for the American tax payer , NOW we have the IRS turned into a political party crotch cricket that does nothing more than irritate the opposing party opposite of the one in power?????

Hold up! I'll be back after I find out if my new and improved Affordable Health Care plans will pay for the sudden irritation I am feeling in my groin area!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

1) Nope
2) dunno...it could be all politically driven to play towards a specific base
3) Nope, not surprised in the least
4) I doubt he is truly evil, however I do not doubt that he is a politician.

Just a comment: Those who truly believe that Democrats are for the little guy are severely deluded. Those who believe the GOP are for the little guy are equally deluded.

I mean really.... 7 of the top 10 richest congressmen are Democrats. Do you really think that the likes of Nancy Pelosi even have a clue what being a little guy is like?

It's all about politics and power, baby.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

seeker1963

HE IS ONLY GRANDSTANDING BECAUSE THE TARGETED GROUPS WERE CONSERVATIVE.

So what if the shoe was on the other foot?

The IRS has NO business in politics! Their job is nothing more than to collect the interest owed on the debt lent by the Federal Reserve Bank!

IFFF???? That is not bad enough for the American tax payer , NOW we have the IRS turned into a political party crotch cricket that does nothing more than irritate the opposing party opposite of the one in power?????

Hold up! I'll be back after I find out if my new and improved Affordable Health Care plans will pay for the sudden irritation I am feeling in my groin area!!!

People do not seem to grasp the significance of this.

Using the IRS in this manner makes Watergate look like petty politics. This is the difference between a nuke and a firecracker.

The fact that this hasn't blown up in Obama's face forcing him to resign at the least is highly indicative of a) how jaded the American Public has become regarding corruption or b) .. umm b) umm

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   

TDawg61
When are people going to realize that BOTH parties have the same walking orders?I've said before we need a people's party to weaken the long time corrupt
Treasoners.The people have been sold out for decades now...

Amen, bro!

They play us off against each other so that all the fingerpointing is towards the parties rather than what the govt is actually doing.

Think about it... as an example: The recent budget cuts. Neither party wanted to take the hit for being responsible for making them happen so they set them up to be "automatic" given that an agreement isnt reached.

Then...they happen. Lots of fingerpointing ensues and meanwhile the actual govt escapes without any issues.

Don't get me wrong, I think we need to cut a hella lot more, but this is one example of how the fingerpointing is directed in less effective ways.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

I agree. I am independent and glad of it. I firmly believe the only way we take country back is amend constitution. To institute two term limit, house and Senate. To limit permanent campaign finance reform that the supreme court can't touch. For real, those yahoo's think they are running the country letting pacs and foreigners give millions to pacs. Money should not be part of politics.

Political parties should not be allowed to manipulate borders or boundaries period. Hey, have free debates and and town stump. No more tv ads. Money should not buy politics.

I would also create a true independent third party that takes enough votes that it forces the other two parties to work together.

We can fix this....

But this whacko Cruz, did you know he believes he is god lol.... This guy should be in a straight jacket, not governing anything.

Whacko lol.....

The Bot

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join