It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vet Bill Dies In Senate -- Partisan Politics At Work.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Now CNN of course threw in the whole line regarding it being partisan, but let's look at what they have to say anyway.

Source

Washington (CNN) - A Democratic bill designed to make numerous improvements to services for veterans failed in the Senate Thursday, a victim of the partisan gridlock and election-year acrimony that dominates the chamber.

Democrats accused Republicans of trying to spike the bill by insisting one of their amendments deal with imposing new sanctions on Iran, something the White House has urged lawmakers not to do while sensitive diplomatic talks are underway with Iran over its nuclear program.

So basically, republicans wanted to play foreign relations with veterans benefits. Why would Iran be connected to this at all?

The GOP are accusing the Democrats of pandering to the veterans vote for the mid term, stating they have a bill that would address all the issues. I don't see where it's been made available for anybody to look at though.

So I ask, because I'm genuinely curious. Why would the GOP want to inject foreign affairs into a domestic issues bill?

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

So I ask, because I'm genuinely curious. Why would the GOP want to inject foreign affairs into a domestic issues bill?

Because sabotage of the opposite party's bills or "agendas" is the main M.O. in Washington now, no matter who gets crapped on in the real world.
edit on 2/27/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: spelling

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Good question, the GOP acts like it is committing political suicide once again. The idea of attaching Iran to a Vet oriented bill is really bad or really stupid.......in fact it almost seems intentional, if there doing this just to kill a Dem bill without any consideration for the Vets then the GOP has reached a new low.

Next step is to research who did this and hope there are some cable news journalist out there that bring this to light.

edit on 27-2-2014 by Battleline because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
they are injecting foreign policy into a lot of things it seems.. I found this:

partisan politics

It is dealing with real issues perhaps, but since it ends up just partisan bickering, it makes the appearance of being used for that purpose, and actually, it probably is that.

It all looks like very crafty partisan politics in the end.

To address the "why" I think the GOP is blaming Obama for foreign policy debacles, so they are making it an issue with anything.

I don't support either the GOP or the Democrat party. They both make the tree of liberty drop rotten fruit.
edit on 27-2-2014 by alienreality because: add

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

How can it be called a VET bill when it has foreign policy embedded in it?????

Whoops my bad..just more staged political BS that is designed to screw citizens while making the actors in Washington ACT like their jobs are actually for the benefit of the citizens they represent!

This time it is the R's the next time it is the D's.................same ole GD tiring skit!

I am at the point I would sooner vote for a Communist running for office than more of the disguised D's and R's! At least I wouldn't be surprised by their anti constitutional actions as I am by the filth we have pretending to represent us currently!!
edit on 27-2-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
AIPAC wants the new sanctions against Iran to go through. And the Israeli firsters in the GOP will do everything they can to get it through after all AIPAC and their boss Benny wants it. The GOP always cries it's the Democrats that screw over the vets. It is a little bit of a shock they didn't use the same old keystone pipeline attachment to the bill.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

By GOP logic they probably believe anything that passes from the democrat side of the isle is a win for the dems. The GOP would rather leave the dems with as few positive things to show during the midterms.

According to that logic they may think taking heat for quashing the bill is better than giving the other side a boost. Also if they managed to squeeze the NeoCon agenda's Iran sanctions part though they would have considered that a win as well.

Vet's? What vet's?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
US Gov lacks credibility and US needs a reboot. They are no longer credible. We have no government.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

~Tenth

It's not complicated. This way the GOP aren't on the hook for voting against vet benefits....but get the same result.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
There's something like 36 amendments to that bill.

Can anyone list the amendment contents ?

Maybe there's more to the insanity.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Why does a bill to help veterans have an amendment of foreign policies in it, I don't get it, what that has to do with veterans at all.

As a wife of a veteran soldiers I am always watching the rats in congress when it comes to them messing around with veterans benefits.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

After rereading your source and a couple of others it would seem that the GOP has been played by Harry Reid, just more proof how fragmented the Republican's really are when they can't see this coming.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
TheGOP/Teabaggers only support the Military industrial complex.

This is their thank you for all the veterans who fought in all the GOP wars.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I would just like to see a bill sponsored written and passed (or not) on it's own. Nothing else attached. All bills have crap attached to them that have nothing to do with the actual bill these days.

I would also like to see people in Congress start to repeal many laws that are redundant. That would be progress in my opinion.

The only new law I really want to see is one that forbids lawyers from holding any public office. (With the exception of the courts that is.)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
im all for less entitlements to vets.

if war is just a business, then i have no problem not paying for it.
maybe less kids will be signing up, if there is less to gain.

at least a draft forced people to think about why they are at war. vs kids these days just following the paycheck.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
nvm
edit on 27-2-2014 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

TDawgRex
I would just like to see a bill sponsored written and passed (or not) on it's own. Nothing else attached. All bills have crap attached to them that have nothing to do with the actual bill these days.

I would also like to see people in Congress start to repeal many laws that are redundant. That would be progress in my opinion.

The only new law I really want to see is one that forbids lawyers from holding any public office. (With the exception of the courts that is.)

I think most of us feel this way, and if amendments are added they should be limited to having some relevance to the Legislation being considered. If it is good Legislation it should be able to pass on it's own merits without having to have bribes attached to it.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Well something you can do as a citizen is VOTE, and a smart thing to do is........... Vote OUT ALL Encumbants.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

This is a perfect example of how our representatives really don't care about the average American or military veteran. Both of their priorities are self-serving.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

The $21 billion bill, which was written primarily by Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vermont, who chairs the veterans committee, would improve veterans’ access to health care services, and expand educational and job training programs for vets. It also aims to reduce the giant claims backlog the Department of Veterans Affairs currently faces.

Awesome!

I love it when Republicans get accused of being 'partisan' especially after the Defense cuts of earlier in the week.

Wonder what is going to happen to the veteran's benefits from that ?

Oh wait.

We already know.

Their benefits were SLASHED.!

And for the Democrats to accuse the Right of being partisan ?

Guess CNN and others really haven't paid attention to Capitol Hill for the last 6 years.

The defense cuts from the Democrats from the previous 6 years is the cause of the 'need' for that bill in the first place.

But who cares!

Vilify the right!.
edit on 27-2-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join