It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MASSIVE accident in Cananda on HWY 400 96+ vehicles involved

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I think it was just last week that we had a 100 car pileup North of Philly on the PA Turnpike.
Those snow squalls can be really dangerous and come up surprisingly fast.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I thought Canadians where indestructible when it came to driving in the snow.
reply to post by thesaneone

lol....well then you thought wrong. In fact, I think Canadian arrogance comes into play here a bit....most people drive FAR too fast for the road conditions. A lot of them don`t even use winter tires. Nowhere is this worse than the 400/401....if you're not going 130 km's an hour...you are getting passed.

FYI...I'm a Canadian myself.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by deadcalm

i do 120km minimum.... on 401... its the go with the flow attitude... the city made me like that.

If you wanna do 100km, need to stick to the far right lane or you will have tailgaters.

i have done 140kn on 404.... the thing is it just not me... its like 70% of the cars.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

its like 70% of the cars.
reply to post by luciddream

I hear ya....I've driven that stretch of road hundreds if not thousands of times. Far too many people die on it because they can't slow down a bit.....especially when the roads are bad. I find truckers are the worst for it....they come hauling up on you and pass you....causing a complete white-out. I'm sure you've been there....

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I've been flipped off by RC's for going to slow on QE2, southbound.

I was only doing 130 kph in a 110 kph zone. It's pretty comical. I think it was the Calgary Sun that claimed the average driver speed on it is 140 kph.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

snowspirit
reply to post by starfoxxx

Canada have no fault insurance>>>??? Just think about the paper work involved in this cluster screw!!! hoooooly crap!!!

They make the paperwork easy.
They've just raised the rates on everyone involved in the accident...

I'd laugh at that but you speak the truth:

"If you make a claim
We up the game."

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by deadcalm

Yes Sir, this is the case on the 401. What people fail to see is that the majority of the trucks are coming from the US and Mexico and are ill equipped and have no experience to deal with flash events like what happened above.

As for pulling over, lmao, you can't do that on the 401, it has no shoulder for 90% of it's stretch.

The problem here is the Canadian DB Government has been privatizing the road networks with no oversight, and this here is what you get. A POS company hired by the Federal Government to do a job with 0 watchdogs in place to see if the job is being done. I drive this route CONSTANTLY, from Kitchener to Gloucester and anyone who else drives it can confirm the lack of ploughs. Driving up in the worst storm in Ont in 30 years from Kit to Ottawa I saw a total of 0 ploughs, they had 3 days notice of the storm and 0 response, the Federal Government caused over 62 deaths directly by their inaction.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by canDarian

Good lord that video brings back bad memories. The 400 around Barrie is dreadfully scary in bad weather. I remember one bad storm come in out if nowhere and we barely made it through "gasoline alley" and into town. Used to travel there every christmas,as all my family lives there.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
yeah, a person has to be careful pulling over in zero visibility can turn out to be the front of the pileup

Im 45 min north of Barrie...good time to go ice fishing

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Danbones
yeah, a person has to be careful pulling over in zero visibility can turn out to be the front of the pileup

Im 45 min north of Barrie...good time to go ice fishing
Make me homesick... I grew up in Muskoka.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

thesaneone

I thought Canadians where indestructible when it came to driving in the snow.

Canadians, yes.
Ontario-ans, hell no.

(post by VanMan420 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
These were nasty squalls today. One minute you can see for miles, the next nothing. The warnings were out, not sure in this area, but they were in mine. In the blink of an eye these things hit you. Although I don't get it, with the Great Lakes being 90+% frozen over I thought the squalls were supposed to diminish, that is what was said a week or so ago. Hope people are OK who were involved in this huge pile up.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Yep, it's pretty bad. I was supposed to go home for the weekend and leave this morning, but after talking with my parents and hearing how bad the weather is in my hometown area, I decided to stay where I was. My ride ended up going anyway and got hit by a semi on the 401. There were school buses stuck on side roads all over the affected counties this morning, my cousin was on one of them. Scary stuff. The snow wasn't even that bad, but the wind is chaotic.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I bet this was all caused by either someone on their cell phone, or an idiot weaving in and out of traffic thinking they're invincible.
But I could be wrong, could have been a mechanical failure. Either way, it sucks for all those other people who got caught. Hope they're insurance company's don't screw them over, I can bet 90% of those people will get sucked into the insurance vampires scheme and raise their monthly rates.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Know what?If this happened anywhere else id be sad.Considering the incredibly obnoxious taunting thread posted a few days ago about how the mighty Canadian hockey team defeated the underdog US team...
edit on 2/27/2014 by tothetenthpower because: --SNIP--

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Be careful not to get run over by a Zamboni, yuk yuk,

(post by TDawg61 removed for a manners violation)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join