It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MASSIVE accident in Cananda on HWY 400 96+ vehicles involved

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Squalls moving across Ontario have been wreaking havoc here the last few days. Near Cobourg on Thursday a multi Transport accident involving 8 vehicles occurred Cobourg

Today on Highway 400 near Barrie, Ont involved over 96 vehicles, this after Transportation Minister Glen Murray said "more needs to be done" ya think?

I went up to Ottawa during the ice storm just prior to Christmas and in the 6 hours did not see one plough on the road, it got so bad we had to stay in Kemptville for the night, this after a near head on collision with a semi after losing traction and getting turned around facing the wrong direction on the 401.

Link to Barrie Emergency Broadcast

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
i HATE to see these people in an accident, i hope no one is seriously injured, what gets me is....

The insurance adjusters will be having a hell of a time pointing fingers at who done it, who's fault is it>?>?>

Canada have no fault insurance>>>??? Just think about the paper work involved in this cluster screw!!! hoooooly crap!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I thought Canadians where indestructible when it came to driving in the snow.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by starfoxxx

So far no one is seriously injured. But if you go on youtube and type "Cobourg crash" you will see and endless supply of terrible car accidents, sadly the majority of them are fatalities. That stretch of the 401 which consists of around 36kms is notorious, more then a few times I have watched the Medivac choppers land litterly on the 401 to take critically injured.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I live an hour or so south-west of the affected area and this mess is due to 3 things; excessive speed, driver distraction (cell phone use etc.), and a persistent use of all-season tires instead of snow tire.. The 400 series of highways are some of the busiest in the world, and people using them feel entitled to drive as if it were summer and ignore the perils of winter in southern and central Ontario. People need to slow down. prepare for winter an act accordingly. I am truly sorry for the victims but it is a sight repeated too often in this province.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
They call that too fast for conditions here in Michigan. People should all slow down if the roads are icy or snowcovered, or if visability is poor. Seems that some people ignorantly think that their vehicles can handle any conditions better than others vehicles can. So your out there and can stop well, but the guy behind you going fast can't. I thought America was the melting pot not Canada

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Damn took Highway 400 today to Stouffville.... accident happened further away north from city..

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Yeah, people should be able to drive in any weather conditions at 60 mph in a 2000 lb hurtling death trap whilst talking on cell phones and listening to talk radio, and never even think twice about staying home, or driving with reality in mind, and the government should do something about not only the roads, but the weather... as a matter of fact, each individual car and tractor trailer should have its own designated snow plow and salt truck preceding it, just to take all the hazards out of transportation at speed.

What part of 'it's dangerous out there, ice is the slippery-est thing imaginable and you live in subarctic conditions half the year' do people in Ontario not understand?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

signalfire
Yeah, people should be able to drive in any weather conditions at 60 mph in a 2000 lb hurtling death trap whilst talking on cell phones and listening to talk radio, and never even think twice about staying home, or driving with reality in mind, and the government should do something about not only the roads, but the weather... as a matter of fact, each individual car and tractor trailer should have its own designated snow plow and salt truck preceding it, just to take all the hazards out of transportation at speed.

What part of 'it's dangerous out there, ice is the slippery-est thing imaginable and you live in subarctic conditions half the year' do people in Ontario not understand?

Most people live paycheck to paycheck ..... I am sure they would of LOVED to stay home, but through hail, fire, and brimstone, some people MUST get to work, or they do not eat, for God's sake their kid's do not eat!!! Paid sick and vacation days? DAMN lucky to have because MOST people do not... Health, car, and life insurance?? Better get to freaking work!! I for sure have sympathy for those people....
edit on 27-2-2014 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

tel that to the employers these people work for....

"yeah so... we know there is a huge snow storm and potential ice rain.... but... our business is open and we expect regular working day"

cant even call in sick on those days because they know you use it as an excuse.

Snowstorm during January 2013 cost me $500 in damage to the car i took to work.. never again unless the company willing to pay for the damages.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
It's scary. I was witness to a massive 46 car pile-up in WV back in July 2013. Luckily, I was on the other side of the bridge. We were driving along, then all of a sudden it was a downpour of rain. It was coming down so hard that it was white-out conditions for about 15 seconds. It was the hardest rain that I've ever seen in my 42 years alive. After it stopped, there were cars on top of other cars, vehicles sticking straight up in the air, crushed vehicles, vehicles on their side...it was like something out of a movie. We were lucky that there wasn't much traffic on our side when it went down.

wvmetronews.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

thesaneone

That's only their hocky team.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

UnBreakable

thesaneone

That's only their hocky team.

Awesome response.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
When visibility is severely reduced you have to pull over - it only takes a split second for all hell to break loose when vehicles are close together going at high speed.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by starfoxxx

Canada have no fault insurance>>>??? Just think about the paper work involved in this cluster screw!!! hoooooly crap!!!

They make the paperwork easy.
They've just raised the rates on everyone involved in the accident...

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

saneguy
When visibility is severely reduced you have to pull over - it only takes a split second for all hell to break loose when vehicles are close together going at high speed.

Yeah, i never knew rain could be just as deadly.

One day it was calm weather, i was on highway, then it just suddenly started pouring heavily.. i could not see anything, i could barely see the brake of any cars in front..let alone a car itself.

The heavy pour was only like 10 mins long too.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
When I see people driving in excess of 20+ miles per hour OVER the speed limit on good days, then turn around and try to do it while on a cell phone, eating lunch, with one hand or even trying to overtake another vehicle on bad winter days....I lose sympathy. If the conditions are bad, human instinct tells you to slow down. If you can't see the road in front of you, common sense tells you to take it easy. If the roads are icy or covered and haven't been plowed or salted....it's time to ease up and travel lightly. But do people pay attention? Apparently not. They get hurt or even worse lives are lost.

All too often I see the same types of people in a huge hurry while the roads are terrible. What is the rush? A job? Ok then what is your life worth...a paycheck? Come on. Just slow down and take your time. These accidents are caused by blatant ignorance of the weather conditions. We all know what it is like to travel in bad weather. Some choose to ignore it. There are people who refuse to drive slow on the highways or get mad when others do.

And alot of people get harmed by their own ignorance or that of others. I just came home from up north a bit and watched cars kareeming off the road because they failed to slow down and pay attention to the roads. Truckers are no better. They all seem to think that the faster they go, the quicker they get to work.

It's hard to get to work when your car is in a ditch or worse, a 96 car pile up.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I've driven that highway in winter (and had a stiff drink afterwards) because as it's straight downhill , slowing down was a problem for me when it was snow or ice-covered. All the situation needs is for one car to brake and skid for a pileup to occur. Snow squalls coming off the Great Lakes can be deadly in that area .
edit on 27-2-2014 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

thesaneone

LOL, I think it was the visibility that was the issue - not so much the snow

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

havok
When I see people driving in excess of 20+ miles per hour OVER the speed limit on good days, then turn around and try to do it while on a cell phone, eating lunch, with one hand or even trying to overtake another vehicle on bad winter days....I lose sympathy. If the conditions are bad, human instinct tells you to slow down. If you can't see the road in front of you, common sense tells you to take it easy. If the roads are icy or covered and haven't been plowed or salted....it's time to ease up and travel lightly. But do people pay attention? Apparently not. They get hurt or even worse lives are lost.

All too often I see the same types of people in a huge hurry while the roads are terrible. What is the rush? A job? Ok then what is your life worth...a paycheck? Come on. Just slow down and take your time. These accidents are caused by blatant ignorance of the weather conditions. We all know what it is like to travel in bad weather. Some choose to ignore it. There are people who refuse to drive slow on the highways or get mad when others do.

And alot of people get harmed by their own ignorance or that of others. I just came home from up north a bit and watched cars kareeming off the road because they failed to slow down and pay attention to the roads. Truckers are no better. They all seem to think that the faster they go, the quicker they get to work.

It's hard to get to work when your car is in a ditch or worse, a 96 car pile up.

NOT everyone IN this wreck was at fault!! I'm sure most of the people were following proper precautions

It only takes one or two PEONS on this atmosphere to cause a 100 car PILE UP!!! Yes i do feel bad for the people who were doing where they were suppose to do!!! I agree with you, it is not worth your life to get to work, most of these people though, had no problem being careful, and driving respectfully.... If you must get to work to survive, you have to get their someway. I doubt most of these people were driving for the hell of it!!! Come on, I UNDERSTAND your sentiment, but you can not blame all those people trying to survive to be at fault...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join