It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Better to be Ruled by the Smart, or the Dumb?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

yeahright
It isn't if you consent to it, which is sort of the point of the exercise.

Well, isn't this a bit paradoxal? Consenting to let someone decide without your consent...eh, whatever. You still end up abandoning your consent, though. You're still a non-factor, even if you somehow agreed to this.

Perhaps I should have phrased it this way : I don't approve the idea of 98% of the population being ignored in critical decisions, which will affect their future and general well-being, because 2% of them scored higher in a test.

I wouldn't approve of it even in a perfect fantasy world where that 2% isn't disgustingly corrupt and decadent (wishful thinking). I wouldn't approve of it even if the 98% were retarded. I wouldn't approve of it even if everybody else approved of it. The very concept seems wrong to me.

edit on 27-2-2014 by Cathcart because: typo

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by WeAreAWAKE

Dumb people(illiterate), aside from the mentally infirm, should not exist in our first world nations that's why we have free education. As to being governed by the dumb or clever, I take it you have come across the last few presidents and prime ministers? IMHO there about as dumb as it gets!

edit on 28-2-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I think it is a completely unrealistic question, as intelligence doesn’t seem to be so easily defined nor measured…but that said, considering the question as hypothetical-

First, I reflect on what I see leadership as. In a group of beings, I consider it the role to project future potentials, possibilities, and effects. This takes many different kinds of qualities- imagination, life experience, education, intuition, and problem solving abilities. Their role is to focus upon long term effects, and often must exercise and exhibit impulse control, ability to restrain from immediate gratification.

The followers have a role which allows them to live out (comparatively) less restraint of pleasure seeking and self control; with more freedom to live “in the moment”, with less power and responsibility. Using the force of numbers, they can collectively create a barrier within which they can experience the pleasures of living, being relatively protected from exterior threats.

I tend to find my mind looking upon the collective or social structure as a body itself, and the leadership roles as the brain, or head, while the others are the body. Both need each other, and are inter-dependent.

My personal thought is that
No matter who holds the legitimate place of power and leadership
It is the ones of higher intellectual intelligence that will be pulling the strings.
It just happens that way naturally. It may be overt or covert, but the ones who can see further will end up manipulating the path the collective takes, one way or another.
Because even if the official leadership is of the “dumber” type (I don’t like that terminology- I would prefer referring to a sort of physical, emotional, intelligences… but following the proposed terms of the OP…) then they would be more subject to immediate effects and results, and blind to the longer term or global effects- so easily manipulated by the clever who can simply steer the boat with “carrots” for them.

The only way to maybe prevent that is to have a leadership which uses brute force and violence to subdue all the people- that might oppress the intelligent enough to keep them from walking ahead.

edit on 28-2-2014 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by WeAreAWAKE

I think "dumb" is in the eye of the beholder. I also think there's a lot more to life than maths.

Theory of multiple intelligences

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."

-Plato

Give me smart; give me dumb; but by God he better be honest.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Shema

in the world of duality, two words are needed.
smart for the smart, dumb for the dumb

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Better not to be ruled at all, let everyone become their own leader. But if you want an answer to your question, I would say that the smart can be dangerous if he has bad intentions, while the dumb can be dangerous even if he has good intentions.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Is it better to be ruled by the smart or the dumb?

The smart aren't ruled and don't rule.
edit on 2014 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join