It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Better to be Ruled by the Smart, or the Dumb?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I've got an interesting question for ATS. This just occurred to me and I thought this was the best place to get some opinions.

Lets assume that the vast majority of people...say 98%, are basically dumb. On scale of 1 to 100, they are at about 40. But that there are some people who are at 100 (extremely intelligent) and there are only about 100 of those people. Again...lets just assume this were true.

What would you rather have happen as far as government? Would you rather that those 100 people that are the smartest become our government and basically make decisions for us, regardless of what we want? Or would you rather the majority rule government even though they are no smarter than us? And to make this fun...lets assume that this new government would never get power hungry, corrupt or money hungry.

So which is it...be ruled by the super intelligent and told what to do, or have the dumb majority in control that would basically do what we want?

On last time...you must assume that we are dumb but that these 100 people are super smart and will look out for our best interests.

I guess I'll answer first. I'd rather make dumb decisions and have a government that does the same than be ruled by mental giants that dictate to us.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
A certain level of intelligence,is entirely subjective. I find some who are unemployed and on welfare to be far more intelligent than some well known politicians. That being said,why does intelligence alone dictate who should rule over the rest of us? I would prefer someone who demonstrates their intelligence,good morals,values,empathy,peaceful ways of living,mindfullness etc. over just being smart. A leader should have all the qualities that help to create a positive society around them. If not,they should not lead. Imho.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
And perhaps just to get wild and crazy, maybe we could get some 'rulers' that actually had relevant credentials (i.e., advanced degrees in economics, public administration, etc.). Kinda like you expect your doctor, dentist, lawyer to be appropriately trained. What a far-fetched idea...

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Similar to the freedom/security question because they're mutually exclusive terms.

I'd accept a truly wise council of benevolent philosopher-kings, if that were truly possible.

As it is, I'll do what I've always done... whatever I want. The government of the US has set the standard: ignore the laws that are inconvenient. Until we have a government that obeys its own laws, they have no moral ground to expect any of the rest of us to.

Be selective, don't be stupid, don't do anything that harms others, don't get caught or overtly call attention to yourself. It works pretty well if you're basically a moral person and have no need of a government to tell you what you shouldn't do. Most civilized people learn that in preschool.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by WeAreAWAKE

Well, we have tried dumb for a while....It would be nice to see some smart give it a shot!

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Smart or dumb i simply want to be ruled by someone who is honest and open and not concerned about benefiting themselves or other select groups of people.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

WeAreAWAKE
And to make this fun...lets assume that this new government would never get power hungry, corrupt or money hungry.

That's like asking us to believe in flying unicorns.

Anyway, I would prefer rule by a dumb majority over the alternative. They will make bad decisions, that's a given, but they will have none other than themselves to blame when this happens, so hopefully their judgement will improve a bit over time.

I utterly, absolutely, passionately detest the idea of a small club of people thinking that they "know us better than we know ourselves", and acting in what they perceive to be "our best interest". It's an abject violation of consent.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Cathcart
It's an abject violation of consent.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It isn't if you consent to it, which is sort of the point of the exercise.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Neither. We should rule ourselves in my opinion. When you allow others to rule over you you also allow them to manipulate you. No one can control me other than myself so why should I accept the illusion that others have power over me?

Let people govern themselves and everything would be for the better in my opinion. The vast majority are good, it is only when you give them power over others do they turn away from who they should be.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Better for whom?

The rulers or the ruled.

It matters.

Better for the rulers that they be smart. And those they rule be dumb.
Better for the ruled if their rulers are dumb. But not cruel. And that they be smart.

Never mind. Why am I answering this?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
How about the NON-CORRUPT?

Just because someone is "educated" does not mean they are smarter than someone non-educated-on every level. I have a few friends who are doctors, lawyers, etc., and they are good at what they do, but when it comes to life, they are dumber than a rock! That "education" thing don't mean nothing to me. Just because someone went to school and learnt how to operate a bedpan, or learned how to work in economics, doesn't mean they are smarter than me at life, or many other things for that matter.
edit on 27-2-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I wish to be "ruled" by no one. However, when it comes to electing those that govern for the people, I prefer them to be intelligent. Stupid never got anybody anywhere good unless by accident.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Hey wait no one mentioned other scenarios. I didn't think the question was an interpretative one.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Interesting answers and feel free to keep conversing...but...which CHOICE do you make? Ruled by ones like us, or ones that actually are significantly smarter than us? It has to be one of the choices, and those in my example that are smarter, are smarter in every way. They will make decisions that our in our best interests as a whole. But...that doesn't mean we will like them.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
The ones ruling are far from smart, they make insects minds look more sound. They are incredible insane psycopaths who do what no one would ever do, and hence, when you are given the gift of resources, as apt they are, health and intelligence and you throw your whole assets, mind, talents and future away by throwing yourself into a black hole of depravity, ITS pretty damn stupid if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by WeAreAWAKE

both because the smart are to prideful to admit being dumb and the dumb are smart enough to know they can't rule.
edit on 27-2-2014 by metalholic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Well...having had the whole day to ponder my own question, my response remains the same. I would never wish to be ruled, regardless of how smart, powerful, god-like, etc. any one, or group of people are. I would rather be lead by the stupid...maybe right off a cliff than be ruled.

Oh well. I thought is was an interesting query.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Smart and Dumb both need to be kept in check. Best way is with a Constitutional Republic and a national bank controlled by elected representatives who are subject to life in prison for malfeasance.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

3NL1GHT3N3D1
Neither. We should rule ourselves in my opinion. When you allow others to rule over you you also allow them to manipulate you. No one can control me other than myself so why should I accept the illusion that others have power over me?

Let people govern themselves and everything would be for the better in my opinion. The vast majority are good, it is only when you give them power over others do they turn away from who they should be.

I agree completely. Besides, if stupid people were in charge, some people who are smart and crave power will outsmart them and then bring themselves into power.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
If I considered myself one of the super smart '100' then my preference would be that the world be governed by the dummies. Obviously.

On the other hand I happen to know that I am one of the majority therefore I harbor an instinctive distrust of eggheads and secretly wish they all perish in horrible ways but paradoxically I prefer that they run the shebang rather than any these idiots I have to live with every day.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join