It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all Celts!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
How many of you with Celtic ancestry knew that, for example, there are more Scottish Celts in Canada than there are back in Scotland!

I just got so nostalgic about my Celtic ancestry (Welsh and Scottish) that I wanted to start a thread on all things Celtic.
I want to celebrate all that is fun, laughter and what it means to be Celtic.
I don't want this to be a dour thread referring to historical origins, I would like this thread to reflect everything that the Celtic nation have given to the world, from poetry and music (the Welsh), science (get in the Scots), humour (Irish), food (Cornish pasties and Welsh lob Scouse
) etc.
So to kick us off on the Welsh side of things, I present Max Boyce....who in this song I reckon encompasses the Celtic fun, laughter and humour of what it means to be Celtic and not take life so seriously!

Rainbows
Jane
edit on 27-2-2014 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Your video is broken...

That said, present and reporting for duty Madam! *Stands to attention with two fingers in the air, pointed toward Rome*

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
*Pricks up his ears and raises his fist*

Proud of my Irish blood my dear...

I might even share some of my artwork here tomorrow... Another member has seen it for real...

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 27/2/14 by Rodinus because: Its end of the day crap spelling time...

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

In emergencies, I claim to be half-Cornish.
The Cornish have also contributed to science. E.g., they know how to avoid being piskie-led on the moors (just turn your coat inside-out).
More seriously, my grandfather, who won the Sir Humphrey Davy prize in 1911 (I still have the books) would point out that this gentleman was Cornish.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

being the welsh man as i am,i went and had a celtic band as a tattoo about 20 years ago

then i looked up my ancestry name about 2 years ago and found out that we may
have came over during the viking times lol

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I died as a mineral and became a plant.
I died as a plant and rose to animal.
I died as an animal and I was a man.
Why should I fear? When was I ever less by dying?
Yet once more I shall die as man, to soar...
In the Blessed Realm; but even from godhood,
I must pass on....
~ The Mathnawi

And a few Welsh Triads -

3 Keys to Druidic Mastery-
To Know
To Dare
To Keep Silent

3 Thins a Man Is-
What he thinks he is.
What others think he is.
What he really is.

3 Things that make rebirth necessary for man-
His failure to obtain wisdom.
His failure to attain independence.
His clinging to the lower self.

CdT

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Another member with Celtic ancestry here. I have always been fascinated with almost anything and everything Celtic. I feel like I should have been born in Ireland instead of the US.

I am absolutely in love with the Celtic knot work.

en.wikipedia.org...

I have a few Celtic knot tattoos as well. I am hoping that I get to see Ireland before I check out, but I don't fly and I can't swim (Titanic all over again!!).

edit on 2/27/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

oOOOOOOOO I think you will like my artwork and carvings of celtic crosses then, i will takes some pictures tomorrow and post them.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Link fixed!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Awesome!

Love a bit of Max Boyce!

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Right here is something people forget about all britain's, the English (anglo/saxon) are almost exclusively descended from female britain's of celtic origin whom there conquerer's took to wife, this of course mean's that all britain's can equally call themselve's britain's.
I am a Mc so definitely a Celt (with plenty of other thing's in the old medley though) but in history the Scot's (that's us Mc. Mac etc) are actually viking irish along the male line and by that I mean they were typically norwegan and danish whom settled in the Northwest of england then there second and third generation son's set off to conquer ireland (which meant they married irish girls and went native so the Mc name's were born out of a gallicised version of there norse name's) then in about from about the 8th century onward then emigrated into the pict land's of Caledonia where they eventually outnumbered the beleaguered pict's 2 to 1, the picts were saved by a marriage between a Scot's prince and a Pict Princess which unified the two different people's, These Viking Irish scot's then helped to kick the Newer viking settlers out of what was now called Scotland and the Claymore.
The Welsh are a Mix of Roman and Britain and of course the Roman's whom ruled Britain for near 400 years were very cosmopolitan so that mean's people from all over the roman empire.
We are litterely not what we think we are, it just depend's how far back you are willing to go.

The people whom fled the terrible suffering in Scotland and Ireland were mainly the poor hardworking crofters whom farmed the land and in many cases they had there land simply taken by the local laird whom had only recently had bill's of ownership drawn up in Edinburgh by the sherrif's court, in many cases the family whom lost there land had neither sold it nor been conquered but were merely thrown out of there own land by bailif whom would show up out of the blue and so the truth is many of those laird's were nothing but fraudulant thieve's whose descendant's to this still have a vested interest in keeping the truth suppressed, this is why many of there deed's go no further back then the 1800's or the 1700's at the earliest.
A similar thing happed in ireland but this time it was food crop and the land owner was typically the irish catholic church which fostered a generational blame on the english for the fact they took the food crop the people needed and sold it so the money would go back into the church coffers, for there part though the english allowed these people to litterally starve to death and have never been forgiven for it (the English means the ruling aristocracy but that distinction is seldom made).

The genetic's of the Celt's in the north and west of Britain and ireland are one of the oldest genetic diversion's in the european family and would suggest the ancestor's of the celt's diverged as a tribe at least 60.000 year's ago though they have obviously not been in western europe all that time, while the nordic people are at 40.000 years as the second oldest family and the Basque are only 10.000 years as the youngest european people (they for a long time were wrongly believed to be the oldest but it turned out the Celt's have more claim by ancestral right than they as even spain was once celtic).

Interesting.

To be celt is to be proud of an ancient and colourful history filled with tale, tragedy and glory.
The sound of Bagpipes is both mournful and stirs the soul.
And what better spirit is there than a good Scot's single malt.

edit on 27-2-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Rodinus

oOOOOOOOO I think you will like my artwork and carvings of celtic crosses then, i will takes some pictures tomorrow and post them.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Do post it!! I need a new tattoo!

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
*In his best 15th century bard type singing voice*

Burn them all Burn them all
Celtic evil deeeemons

Nah only messing got loads from all sides of my family, I carry the ginger gene so it's in me blood.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Ireland is a beautiful country but sadly the irish culture is dying from mass european imigration since the relaxtation of the border's and many irish feel they are either under siege or there culture and history are being taken from them. If you go to cork make sure you get an IRISH taxi driver as he will not rip you off but there are now that many foreigners and not just european's but people from outside the EU whom have used it as a back door into Eira that thing's are definitely not what they used to be.
The fighting men are obviously a thing of the past but once you would see Bare knuckle fighters whom would fight on the street corners for a money while the crowd would put bet's on though among the traveller community whom are the modern Rovers you still find them.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I love Clannad, and no doubt there will be some brilliant Celtic music posted on here....to keep us going...here are a few 'famous' ones....

Damm...I just wish those two would do a duet!!!!!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Lets call it my fartwork hey...as there are some real artists here on ATS and i am not one of them...

Some of the pics are depictions from the book of Kells, The stone in the wall has been embedded into the front of our house and the yellowy pic is a photo I took of Lindesfarne many a yonk ago.

There is even a fairy for the ladies... I have no idea why I drew that on?

Sorry for the crap quality but pics taken with my Iphone

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Hail to the Tuatha de Dannan, the bright and shining ones, to Conn of a hundred battles to Cormac, ancient Kings of All Ireland a scion of their s am I.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Hi Jane! And Everybody!!

Well...my parents were both from Yorkshire...mum from Rotherham, dad from Leeds.
My mother said that her side of the family went back to Vikings in Denmark.

I was a tall, gangly, dorky kid. I used to get picked on for being tall. In my own defence I would claim, "I can't help it! My ancestors were Danish Vikings!" lol....no wonder I got picked on.

My daughter's name is Gaelic....Caileigh. I love bagpipes and kilts...and...and...I'm not sure if I qualify as a Celt, but can I stay?

jacy

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jacygirl

Damned right you can woman....it's celtic hospitality if nothing else!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

angelchemuel
reply to post by jacygirl

Damned right you can woman....it's celtic hospitality if nothing else!
Rainbows
Jane

I think you had better get the tepot on Jane...

Oooooo Jacy, back in the 80s I used to do loads of nightclubbing in Leeds and surrounding towns and cities!!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join