It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the GIANT IMPACT Hypothesis is 'true' ...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
for any reference sake:
en.wikipedia.org...

... then why are there not OR are there/ should there be traceable 'debris disks' associated with such an event that can be found and studied to provide more conclusivity [if that's even a word]? ... regarding such.

It just seems to me that we should be able to, or at least strive to, have more information on the Why's/What fors and whatnot regarding our lunar neighbor.

ESPECIALLY ... if it even was .... CARVED OUT OF THE EARTH .... as the current consensus would seem to be...

* an astrological strike by a large meteor, meteorite, etc .... basically 'scooped out' enough of the 'Earth' to eventually create the moon.??? *

Get That

*sorry if this is 'known science'... i'm just a layman ... trying to understand the world around me...

BUT .... for some odd reason THAT has always seemed to me, as just a bit too similar to the 'christian's god story of 'creating' eve from adams 'rib' .... so to speak.

reading near verbatim one could near postulate that as 'carving' eve from adam ???????

Not really looking for this to go in a 'religious' type discussion, and it should likely be moved to 'skunk works' .... as it's merely a 'pause to ponder' from whilst staring into the night sky wondering about such...

- where. why. how. life. etc.

Bueller!?

edit on 2/27/2014 by 12m8keall2c because: for any reference sake: en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 2/27/2014 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

That's an interesting point of view.

Adam (Earth) and Eve (Moon)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Arken

That's an interesting point of view.

Adam (Earth) and Eve (Moon)

not 'a point of view, necesarily, just ... something ... given further thought once it 'crossed my mind', so to speak...

but... yeah.... could earth be Adam and the moon be Eve...

i guess? ... is the end 'result', if you will

???

kinda opens up a 'whole new paradigm', if you will.

???

't least for me and my 'mental stretches'

apparently, and for some odd reason, approaching one's bi-centennial brings even more questions than a quinquagenarian can answer
edit on 2/27/2014 by 12m8keall2c because: speeling, grahamer

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   
the moon is a very interesting place it confuses every branch of science that looks at it with its heavy elements on the outside where it is placed its density and its very age a moon out of place some of the men in white coats think have a read of night and butlers who built the moon

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   

999zxcv
the moon is a very interesting place it confuses every branch of science that looks at it with its heavy elements on the outside where it is placed its density and its very age a moon out of place some of the men in white coats think have a read of night and butlers who built the moon

that [that it confuses every branch of science, regarding its makeup, origin, age, creation, etc. , i guess is what got me thinking more so in the first place.... it was only once 'that piece of supposed scripture came to mind' that i went further in my mind with it....

nothing more than a wonder, postulation, at most... but i thought it intersting........ the almost direct correlation

god carved eve from Adams rib

the Moon was Carved from the earth's crust, etc.

??????

likely just a whack thought after a long day and a beer or three, but .... 't is what it is.

ATS

[I'ma move this to Skunk Works, despite it being my own thread... 'ts where it certainly belong.

All the best, all]

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Interesting, Now as you know the moon is actually moving slowly into a higher orbit and will one day many million's or billion's of years (I am sure some one worked it out but can not recall the time estimate they arrived at) it will actually break orbit and fly off away from the earth then probably establish an elliptical solar orbit as it goes it alone.
Well between the earth and the moon there is a tug of war of sort's as the two body's each pull with there gravity and in that place between then is a point were the forces cancell out and this is the only place a ring of debris would survive (except the moon has regressed away from the earth so it would have been dissipated anyway by the shifting tidal forces), why, well the moon, sun and earth all would be pulling at this field of debris so that over time it would break up, most would slow and fall back to earth but some would actually be sling shot out into the solar system though for perhaps million's or years there would have been a spectacular ring.
You know if the moon from earth theory is correct then it is still there, it is the moon.
But then all this is theory based on conjecture with a little physics thrown in, I was not there and neither were the leading thinkers on this subject, still then can piece together the wreckage of a jumbo to identify the source of the blast so maybe they are on to something.

If the moon had not formed though then were it was then (not now as it is slowly moving away) we would still have those asteroids which has achieved neutral orbit were there velocity mathed there fall and they orbited the earth forming a halo, you know we do have a ring, a human made ring of tens of thousand's of satellite's and space debris, spent rocket stage's and broken hardware - Copper, Gold, Silver and other precious metals all left abandoned having spent there lifetime of service or otherwise failed.

edit on 27-2-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   

I've always 'liked' this hypothesis. It's hard to imagine the destructiveness of such an impact. And then, how the Earth gets from where it must have been to where it is now. I've also wondered whether or not the Giant Impact might have been a floater that rammed its way through the Sun. Maybe the debris you're looking for is the Oort Cloud and the Kuiper Belt??

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   

12m8keall2c
for any reference sake:
en.wikipedia.org...

... then why are there not OR are there/ should there be traceable 'debris disks' associated with such an event that can be found and studied to provide more conclusivity [if that's even a word]? ... regarding such.

In regards to the Origin of the Moon, GIH is just one posit.

GIH is admittedly the most widely accepted model, and, that's how science works; Models that fit observations best are accepted paradigm until such time as a model is challenged with sufficient question in favor of another model, or enough so to revise the currently accepted model.

As for GIH, we might expect a debris field, a halo of dust and rock around Earth, the moon as well, and in between the two, but, we must also consider that there's been some 4.5 Billion years at the least for any such debris to accrete into Earth, or Lunar masses.

Consider Ocean tides. These are a product of our Moon's gravitational interactions with Earth.
Any debris field through the gravitational interactions between the Earth and moon very likely was pulled by either body over the course of 4.5 Billion years, until gravitational influence by either body was sufficient for final capture and accretion.

Still, as mentioned, there's other competing models;
Fission
Accretion
Georeactor Explosion
Capture

Capture
This hypothesis states that the Moon was captured by the Earth. This was popular until the 1980s, and some things in favor of this model include the Moon's size, orbit, and tidal locking.
One problem is understanding the capture mechanism. A close encounter with Earth typically results in either collision or altered trajectories. For this hypothesis to function, there might have been a large atmosphere extended around the primitive Earth, which would be able to slow the movement of the Moon before it could escape. That hypothesis may also explain the irregular satellite orbits of Jupiter and Saturn. In addition, this hypothesis has difficulty explaining the essentially identical oxygen isotope ratios of the two worlds.

Fission
This is the idea that an ancient, rapidly spinning Earth expelled a piece of its mass. This was proposed by George Darwin (son of the famous biologist Charles Darwin) in the 1800s and retained some popularity until Apollo. The Austrian Geologist Otto Ampherer in 1925 also suggested the emerging of the moon as cause for continental drift.
It was proposed that the Pacific Ocean represented the scar of this event. However, today it is known that the oceanic crust that makes up this ocean basin is relatively young, about 200 million years old and less, whereas the Moon is much older because it does not consist of oceanic crust but of mantle-material that originated inside the proto-earth in Precambrian. However, the assumption that the Pacific is not the result of lunar creation does not disprove the fission hypothesis.[citation needed] This hypothesis also cannot account for the angular momentum of the Earth-Moon system.[citation needed]

Accretion
This hypothesis states that the Earth and the Moon formed together as a double system from the primordial accretion disk of the Solar System. The problem with this hypothesis is that it does not explain the angular momentum of the Earth-Moon system or why the Moon has a relatively small iron core compared to the Earth (25% of its radius compared to 50% for the Earth).

Georeactor explosion
A more radical alternative hypothesis, published in 2010, proposes that the Moon may have been formed from the explosion of a georeactor located along the core-mantle boundary at the equatorial plane of the rapidly rotating Earth. This hypothesis could explain the compositional similarities.

There's even a complementary/supplemental proposition that could work with any of these that suggests Earth, at one time, had a second Moon which eventually impacted with and fused into the Moon we know today.

In a way, we DO have some evidence for natural satellites which could products of the proposed debris field in the asteroid 2010_TK7.

There's also 3753 Cruithne;

It has been incorrectly called "Earth's second moon". Cruithne does not orbit Earth and at times it is on the other side of the Sun. Its orbit takes it inside the orbit of Mercury and outside the orbit of Mars. Cruithne orbits the Sun in about 1 year but it takes 770 years for the series to complete a horseshoe-shaped movement around the Earth.

There may be other objects in similar Solar orbits, as of yet undiscovered, and, there's also the question of the Lagrange and Trojan points which could also host dust-bunnies of material.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

my thoughts, actually, being that, given modern day science, shouldn't we be able to create a model that would demonstrate, mark and 'monitor going fowrd' suc an impact [the 'i guess' resultant 'planar belts' created by said impact ... and to that point where they are or where we should be looking to study them these Oh so many 'million/billion' years later..... if that be the case.

tires leave tread .... impacts leave 'signatures'... no!?

?????

why can't or Can we find and follow the trail back to said impact that eventually and supposedly created the moon..

OR

is the biblical reference to the 'creation of eve' just a passed down tale over the cosmos of the moon's creation from being carved of earth?

not looking to really go 'deep' into this...

it was really just a 'pause to ponder' instance that caught my mind's eye for a moment or three.

any way.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   

12m8keall2c

999zxcv

that [that it confuses every branch of science, regarding its makeup, origin, age, creation, etc. , i guess is what got me thinking more so in the first place.... it was only once 'that piece of supposed scripture came to mind' that i went further in my mind with it....

nothing more than a wonder, postulation, at most... but i thought it intersting........ the almost direct correlation

god carved eve from Adams rib

the Moon was Carved from the earth's crust, etc.

??????

likely just a whack thought after a long day and a beer or three, but .... 't is what it is.

ATS

[I'ma move this to Skunk Works, despite it being my own thread... 'ts where it certainly belong.

All the best, all]

in babalonian myths the moon is called SIN and mount sinai gets its name from it also the assyrians and chaldeans placed great importance in it more than the sun and the mon used to be male not female as we think and the japanese chronicals of nihongi speak of the moon being far brighter as do the babalonian astronomers as do legends in peru in b.de sahagun but both plutarch and ovid talk off a time before the moon job 25/5 and psalm 72/5 also say before the moon

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by 999zxcv

I have read that hypothesis and it was taken seriously by element's of the soviet space program including one eminanet soviet astrophysicist, It has many oddity's including the displacement of it's gravity anomoly's which would mean the centre of the gravity is actually off centre of the moon as we see it, one large perfectly streight raised terrain feature which has been likened to a edge of a dented plate which may have lifted when an asteroid struck it,.

www.nasa.gov...
listverse.com...
wariscrime.com...

Now it rang like a bell.

Medievil caterbury 5 monk's whitnessed a possibel impact and guess what, it Writhed like a snake (oscillated, trembled or RANG LIKE A BELL so maybe a metallic hollow sphere).

wariscrime.com...

That book above called is the moon a spacecraft is just to sell you a book with spuriously unconnected fact's wound together, here is the scientist whose theory they based that claim on.

www.theforbiddenknowledge.com...

If so could we and life on earth actually have been brought here from an ancient and once amazing but likely long dead civilization or was the moon only one of many such seed ship's, it does boggle the mind and What secret's if a great civilization may still be waiting to be found to spur on the rebirth of there civilization here.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Then, there are the 'proselenes', these are the people who lived before the coming of the moon. Imagine the effects the moons pull could have on the seas on the Earth as it was pulled into orbit.

fierycelt.tripod.com...

That was a very interesting thought : Moon / Eve, Earth / Adam!
edit on 27-2-2014 by Elliot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

nah, Alice... what i'm thinking of is

Why can't we find, trace the 'shockwave' of debris from such an event?

even the ieds in the middle east create quite the shockwave, lightning-fast debris field, etc.....

given the grand Scale and Scheme of things I'd have to think scientists that support the GIh would at least be looking for or able to identify an expanding debris field that could/would correlate to the timeframe with which to study further as suspect.

??

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Elliot

But what if the 'impact field' was deep, deep under the sea at the very deepest sea bed. Wipe all the water off the Earth and their is a huge crater in the Pacific region.

He, hee.....sorry! Looks like I just 'replied' to myself!!!

edit on 27-2-2014 by Elliot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

It is possible that this shockwave of dissipated debris is still there but no longer in orbit of the earth, many near earth asteroids on parabolic orbit's may well be from this impace, as we develop better and better method's of sampling these rock's we may be able to ascertain a link to the earth if one exists as at least some of the asteroid's out there may indeed be from the early earth and have been cast off by asteroid and cometary impact's before this possible impact so identifying which impact it was is even more problematic unless there are specific isotopes that the astro geologists have a comparitive record for.
Still some of those near earth object which pass close by may actually have originated on earth so very good point.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Double post

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Elliot

no. elliott.

i'm speaking of the shockwave' impact debris field that would have been ejected from the earth's crust/self in a micro-second and BLOWN into space like that of a nuclear explosion, ied, etc.

the blast you 'see' before the actual 'blast/destruction' - the wave - debris field ejected into space eons ago

it's got to be out there.... expanding

????

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

and the moons of mars are another puzzle phobos and demos loved all this stuff when i was young and it is so easy to find online now the kids are lucky to have the net to find things these days .

when i was young in the 60s/70s what looks you got in the library asking for those books here;s the crazy kid again i heard once

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
dp sorry
edit on 27-2-2014 by 999zxcv because: me bad

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by 999zxcv

To the thread author sorry to go off post on this,

Yes they are extremely intriguing, The linear pattern of cratering on Phobos in particular, The orbit it is in and it's estimated mass mean it must therefore weigh less than the mean composition of it's material make up and so it must be hollow, the small linear craters are of oddly uniform size in neat relatively evenly spaced track's almost like a surface mass driver which moved around and mined the surface to use as plasma propellent by superheating the material and firing it like a rocket thruster then moved to a new location to control tragectory would leave behind.
I alway's thought maybe it was used a weather modulation satellite or station when they were trying to stabilized the martian environment either when terraforming or after a catastrophy and trying to save or salvage there world but it failed, at least in the long run.
Still if that is correct and there are question over the moon could a stage 2 civilization have inhabited the solar system and if so what happened to them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join