It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Acidic water blamed for West Coast scallop die-off

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
The Vancouver Sun

Ten million scallops that have died in the waters near Qualicum Beach due to rising ocean acidity are the latest victims in a series of marine die-offs that have plagued the West Coast for a decade.

“I’ve seen pH measured down to about 7.2, so this is very much within the realm of possibility, though unfortunate and extreme,” he said. “We are in a hot spot in the Pacific Northwest.” The lower the pH, the higher the acidity. Local waters are typically a much-less-acidic 8.2. High acidity interferes with the ability of baby scallops to form a protective shell, forcing them to expend more energy and making them more vulnerable to predators and infection. “When the pH goes down, it’s a lot harder to build that shell and we’ve seen that in a lot of other species in the lab,” said Harley. “It interferes with everything they do, their basic physiology is affected".

This is happening world-wide. Barrier reefs, all manner of shell fish, between over-fishing and acidification we're looking at literally killing the oceans.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

This is happening world-wide. Barrier reefs, all manner of shell fish, between over-fishing and acidification we're looking at literally killing the oceans.

This is impossible. Why just last week a Utah lawmaker said that the atmosphere needs more CO2.

www.popsci.com...

Ocean acidification caused by CO2.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Pretty sure that was his wallet screaming from his ass.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Here is the video segment as reported by the Vancouver Island Chek News:

Chek 6 Story

edit on 26-2-2014 by doggoneit666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Yet another sign that we are in the Anthropocene.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
It's truly catastropic. The human race has screwed things up beyond what we will admit to. I just opened a playdough set and it took me 10 minutes - massive amounts of plaatic along with plastic ties and tape for each piece. What I threw in the garbage far exceeds the volume needed for these toys. One toy - related to a landfill somewhere. Think of what's dumped in the ocean. The amount of waste is out of control.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Kali74...

Source(s)?

new topics

top topics

join