It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop shoots 70 year old man who was reaching for his cane.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I read this and couldn't believe it. What are they teaching cops these days?

CLOVER, SC -York County deputies say an officer shot a 70-year-old man reaching for a cane during a traffic stop because he thought the man was grabbing a rifle from the bed of his pickup truck.

Faris says the shooting was unfortunate, but appeared to be appropriate because Knox felt an imminent threat to his life.

www.wbtw.com...

I used to have a lot of respect for our law enforcement. But that respect is, sadly, dwindling fast.
I know these cops put their lives on the line daily but come on........shooting a 70 year old before ever seeing a weapon?
As I read this short article I could not help to wonder.....
What if the Mr. Canipe whould have had a gun......?
What if he would have shot the officer.......?
Whould he have been able to say "I felt and imminent threat to my life" and get away with shooting the officer?
I THINK NOT!
What say you ATS?

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

That is just crazy! Clover a very nice quaint small town & who would even think something
like this would go down. My sister lives there & it's a very quiet & peaceful beautiful area.
These shooting are happening way too often & it seems almost every day day now & they
need to stop.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

and that is just one story from a very very big bunch out there the leo's are getting meaner and meaner maybe it is mind control over those radio's as preston james at vetrans today thinks

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

From source:

Knox fired several shots, hitting Canipe once.

JFC...only hit him once.

Charlotte would be disappointed with Wilbur if she was still around. But some Pigs get off easy...

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Ektar

That is just crazy! Clover a very nice quaint small town & who would even think something
like this would go down. My sister lives there & it's a very quiet & peaceful beautiful area.
These shooting are happening way too often & it seems almost every day day now & they
need to stop.

Cheers
Ektar

I don't live terribly far from there myself.
I don't know if this is how they are training them now or what but I totally agree.
It needs to stop.
Quad

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

When did it become OK for cops to use force because they "feel" threatened or that their life is in danger?

What happened to actually BEING in danger or BEING threatened before actually starting to use deadly force?!

It's ridiculous. Cops know what kind of job they do, it's DANGEROUS. You take a RISK everyday by putting on that uniform.

It should NOT entitle you to be a trigger happy idiot at the expense of an innocent's life, just so you can feel 'safe' during every single interaction you have.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

They expect him to recover but in my opinion he should not be in the situation to need recovery.
Shoot first, ask questions later.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Faris says the shooting was unfortunate, but appeared to be appropriate because Knox felt an imminent threat to his life.

That's the scariest part right there. The wind blows and police claim imminent threat. And then they have policy that supports whatever actions they take after this imminent threat rears it's imaginary head. The biggest farce with law enforcement is that they have a dangerous job and put their lives on the line.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I totally agree Tenth,
As I said in the op, I don't know what they are teaching cops these days.
Most of the ones I meet now-a-days seem to have huge egos and think they are better than everyone else.
Many also believe that their word is law. That they have the right to do just about anything they want. As well they might.
This cop is on paid leave and would seem they are justifying his actions because he feared for his life.......what a joke.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   

FraggleRock

That's the scariest part right there. The wind blows and police claim imminent threat. And then they have policy that supports whatever actions they take after this imminent threat rears it's imaginary head. The biggest farce with law enforcement is that they have a dangerous job and put their lives on the line.

The biggest danger to a dumb cops life these days is a public afraid of encountering a dangerous cop.

They did this to themselves.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Keep shooting people with canes and video game controllers and people are going to feel like every interaction with police is an "imminent threat to their life". Does this justification work both ways?

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

When did it become OK for cops to use force because they "feel" threatened or that their life is in danger?
What happened to actually BEING in danger or BEING threatened before actually starting to use deadly force?!
~Tenth

I wonder if all firefighters should be given dynamite? Since it can be used to fight fires and they probably encounter imminent threats to their life.

Red never met a fire he couldn't lick. He bombed many of them into submission with high explosives. It seems wildly counterintuitive, using dynamite to subdue an inferno, but the physics are quite simple: a properly shaped and sized explosion will momentarily suck all the oxygen from a given area, thus starving the flames long enough to get a cap on the well. (Of course, done wrong, it's also extremely dangerous.) Red didn't invent the idea -- it had been used since before he started wrestling wells -- but he perfected it, made it an intuitive art.

mentalfloss.com...

edit on 26-2-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

To cut the sarcasm for a moment, I think when such an obvious mistake is made, the spokespeople should maybe just say sorry and show some embarrassment or humility.

Mistakes happen sure, but the indifference just makes people feel like their lives are worthless. Knowing that someone can shoot you dead because they felt threatened. People realize that if they feel threatened they have very limited options in the scenario, besides calling the people that might stop the person threatening you, but can also shoot you if they feel threatened. It's like a circle of victimization.
edit on 26-2-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 999zxcv

Yes, it is the new TETRA radios that are driving the cops insane. Probably intentional to make them kill more. Turn up the juice and they're just a murdering gang of psychopaths. www.tetrawatch.net...

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

It's ridiculous. Cops know what kind of job they do, it's DANGEROUS. You take a RISK everyday by putting on that uniform.

The sad fact of the matter is that police deaths in the line of duty have been going down for years now...deaths for police officers in the line of duty are down 28% this year...gunfire deaths are down a whopping 67%.

Officer Down Memorial page....

In 2013, 33 police officers were killed by gunfire...the lowest number since 1887.

Source

I can't find statistics for the last two years, however in 2011 it shaped up like this......police shot 1,146 people, killing 607.

Source

So statistics say that it has NEVER been safer to be a police officer, while it is getting ever more dangerous for civilians at the barrel of police weapons.

This has to stop.

edit on 26-2-2014 by deadcalm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Mikeultra
reply to post by 999zxcv

Yes, it is the new TETRA radios that are driving the cops insane. Probably intentional to make them kill more. Turn up the juice and they're just a murdering gang of psychopaths. www.tetrawatch.net...

5000 people gunned down over the years and 3 times that injured pregnant women tazered and not long ago a 98 year old was shot dead at a retirment home

time to be afraid as the feds have 300.000 on a terrorist list

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Problem with continuously validating these shootings with the "imminent threat" excuse is that an imminent threat is subjective. It fully depends on the eye of the beholder.

Because of that, we're seeing more and more bad cops and low-IQ cops not being able to tell what is an actual threat and what is not. We're also seeing more cops hide behind the power of the badge and their sidearm than using critical thinking or common sense.
edit on 26-2-2014 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Agreed. It seems officers are now free to unload on someone even before identifying that the individual has a weapon. I wonder if the officer even looked into the bed of the truck while at/or approaching the vehicle.

Translation : "This guy moved his hands to a place I cant see, so Im just going to start unloading on the guy. Lethal force over everything!!!!!!!!! Yeeehaww!!!!"

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Quadrivium

Ektar

need to stop.

Cheers
Ektar

I don't live terribly far from there myself.
I don't know if this is how they are training them now or what but I totally agree.
It needs to stop.
Quad

Police are being trained that their safety, and nobody elses is important. They are being trained to act aggressively any time someone does show instant compliance. They are being trained to be the exact opposite of what they were intended to be.

I fear the police more than I fear the the gang bangers or terrorists.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   

boncho

Keep shooting people with canes and video game controllers and people are going to feel like every interaction with police is an "imminent threat to their life". Does this justification work both ways?

If one were to be honest yes it should. In reality nopers, only the police's life is worth protecting, just look at the way they stated he was justified in shooting an unarmed man, because he percieved a threat, that didnt exist.

This is the stand your ground law on steroids.

Ducking idiots running things these days!!!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Quadrivium
As I read this short article I could not help to wonder.....

What if the Mr. Canipe whould have had a gun......?
What if he would have shot the officer.......?
Whould he have been able to say "I felt and imminent threat to my life" and get away with shooting the officer?
I THINK NOT!
What say you ATS?

Knowing what I know now, if I was on the jury and a man kills a policeman because he feels his life is in danger, I'll vote to acquit regardless of jury instructions. Police are routinely murdering our citizens and getting away with it. It's time to turn this travesty around.

The Dorner assassination squad that fired on those unarmed newspaper-delivery women should be tried and executed ..... or doing life without parole.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join