It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Illness Risk Higher for Children of Older Fathers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I found this interesting. I knew that there were health risks for 'older' women having children (over age 35) ... but now we know that 'old sperm' has health risks just like 'old eggs'. These being higher mental health risks. Considering that much of the first world waits to have children until later in life than previous generations, this could have many implications for society including the cost of health care. Maybe putting off having children until later in life isn't always the best thing to do?? Anyways - a good read for those interested ....

Mental Illness Risk Higher for Children of Older Fathers

Children born to middle-aged men are more likely than those born to younger fathers to develop any of a range of mental difficulties, including attention deficits, bipolar disorder, autism and schizophrenia, according to the most comprehensive study to date of paternal age and offspring mental health.

In recent years, scientists have debated based on mixed evidence whether a father’s age is linked to his child’s vulnerability to individual disorders like autism and schizophrenia. Some studies have found strong associations, while others have found weak associations or none at all.

The new report, which looked at many mental disorders in Sweden, should inflame the debate, if not settle it, experts said. Men have a biological clock of sorts because of random mutations in sperm over time, the report suggests, and the risks associated with later fatherhood may be higher than previously thought. The findings were published on Wednesday in the journal JAMA Psychiatry.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I remember similar things mentioned years ago. Older fathers having a higher risk of kids with autism.

Sperm is just as, and in some ways, even more prone to degradation with age, since it is produced continually on the spot, at the time. Older age effects sperm quality in many ways, more than older age effects eggs, since a woman is born with all her eggs in the first place.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I think it's bs.
Younger people having children run a risk of their kids being complete idiots. People need to grow up before having kids.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Switch that around a bit...it should say "Mental illness risk higher for fathers of older children" That would explain a lot.

It is a good article, but I do not think the risk is across the board. S&F

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

According to a article from Mail Online

The world's oldest father has done it again, fathering a child for at least the 21st time, at the age of 90.

Indian farmer Nanu Ram Jogi, who is married to his fourth wife, boasts he does not want to stop, and plans to continue producing children until he is 100.

Mr Jogi admits he is not certain how many children his series of four wives have borne him - but counts at least 12 sons and nine daughters and 20 grandchildren.

I do know many guys in their 60s who have younger wives and have had children in the last 5 years because the wife wanted children.. So far all the kids have been normal. Myself I would prefer to not take a chance because if you get one with severe challenges you can't take them back for a retread.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Interesting and shocking. I was preparing to mention that my youngest was sired when I was 32 and that he was and is ADHD with twinges of being schizoid. But 32 isn't consider quite middle-aged. As I was figuring how old I was, I was going to say that I think he also had a bit of a nudge in that direction because I have always been dyslexic and ADD. Then it struck me that my father was 38 when I was sired. So that can explain the chain. I must wonder then, do the conditions compound in a linage from generation to generation?

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
It's a pity this article isn't available for free because I'd like to find out whether other factors have been taken into account. For instance it's been known that later born children have a high risk of developing autism, an effect which would influence this result. So should an older male who had no children be less worried than a parent with lots of children?

Also, how do they know a higher incidence of mental illness is down to their sperm? It could be lots of other things. I'd imagine the social differences between older parents and children are larger than with younger parents.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I don't know where I read it but I thought it was more of a risk for the grandchildren of older fathers..

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Laying the scientific grounds for state-enforced population control, no doubt.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Do you not think this has more to do with stress in the modern environment on pour poor weak vulnerable children who just happen.... to be increasingly fathered by older dads and carried by older moms than in years gone by?

I mean it might be the way you have revealed, but could statistics be just as likely a revealer of cause... older parents at the same time of stressed children due to societies changes?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MadMax9

Honestly, I think it all contributes. Stress. Older ages. Pollution. Society in general.
But this article did say that a marked increase happens with older fathers. So there is something there I think.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ItCameFromOuterSpace

I'm sure there is a 'happy medium'. Don't have kids while you are still a kid (teenager). But at the same time, don't start trying to have kids when you are nearing 40 years old. The human body is set up to be prime for childbirth in the 20's. Go with the evolutionary flow ....

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   

ItCameFromOuterSpace

I think it's bs.
Younger people having children run a risk of their kids being complete idiots. People need to grow up before having kids.

Thinking doesn't make it so.
You have any evidence to support your premisse?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Don't know how much stock I would place regarding this so-called theory but I always knew there was a reason my kids were nuts!
LoL

edit on 27-2-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   

andy06shake

Don't know how much stock I would place regarding this so-called theory but I always knew there was a reason my kids were nuts!
LoL

"so called theory" = I don't understand so I trie to be funny haha

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Bangorak

Think you mean "tried" to be funny.

Have a wee star for you attempt at levity!
LoL

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I think they got this research bass akwards
because I was 37 when my first son came along, then ten months later my second son came along(yeah, I know, I was shocked as hell too). My kids seem fine, very smart & happy, however, I think they've drove me crazy!!! I've been tippy toeing through thee tuplips hee hee hee

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Fylgje
I think they got this research bass akwards
because I was 37 when my first son came along, then ten months later my second son came along(yeah, I know, I was shocked as hell too). My kids seem fine, very smart & happy, however, I think they've drove me crazy!!! I've been tippy toeing through thee tuplips hee hee hee

Aha, the good old "my grandfather smoked and drank like hell but never got ill so smoking isn't bad for ya" science.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Like skadi said, this was common knowledge years ago. The fact that it became a subject of "debate" has little to do with science - just more evidence of pushing genetics dogma and not incidentally, protecting the male ego.

PS. It's epigenetics.

edit on 27/2/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

For some time, I have wondered if there is a link between the age of the father/grandfather and all types of health problems.

My grandfather was born in 1893, my great grandfather on the same line was born in 1850. This line has genetic problems with teeth, anxiety ptsd and asd, along with physical issues too.

I have thought about looking into hereditary asthma and links to male ancestors being mustard gassed in the first world war.

I suspect there is something too this, will be interesting to watch and see where it leads, if any where.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join