It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Liverpool scientists invent a contagious Wi-Fi virus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

SCIENTISTS did not think it was possible, but now a UK team has invented a digital virus that can spread through the air like a biological disease.

In a significant breakthrough, researchers at the University of Liverpool have designed an airborne virus codenamed ‘Chameleon’, ScienceBlog reports.

The virus, which spreads almost as quickly as the common cold, piggybacks on Wi-Fi waves to spread from network to network.

I found this short article rather fascinating and scary at the same time. I didn't really think something like this was possible with our current technology but obviously I was wrong. I think I will go back to Ethernet cables and maintain a wired network to be on the safe side.

Can you imagine what type of chaos this could cause to a neighbourhood, businesses and free wi-fi areas?

What do you think ATS?

Edit: Due to some coding issue it won't let me link the article properly. Please see Grimpachi's post below to get the link I was trying to use.

edit on 26/2/2014 by Dark Ghost because: link issues

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Sounds interesting but do you have a link?

edit
Think I found the Link here or here

After reading a bit I say it is nasty. I hate people who design viruses f#ing B@st@rds.
edit on 26-2-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

my god ...why?
didn't Norton's finding of stuxnet in japan teach anybody anything?

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   

o heck give this 6 months and someone will do this for fun outside of the university when the scientists brag how they did this in their paper you are right this will unleash hell all over as most now use wifi at home and at work

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Well thats a little bit mindblowing ! What next! Kind of makes me think of the matrix. Wifi cant be good for us even without that potential threat it poses of infecting us with viruses. Lucky my wifi contract is up end of this year ! Lol
edit on 26-2-2014 by Shana91aus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

I could think of a lot better things to occupy my time than to invent another virus that will do nothing but cause some government agency or a$$hole to use it to make people around the world mad as hell! It's always amazed me how low people can be to create viruses, now we have universities doing it. I'm sure this won't remain a secret for long.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
so instead of finding a cure for something they had to make something BAD ! How nice... thats the world we live in.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Mossad. Its a CIA and Mossad invention and Israel did a security check first.

These guys here are sicko's. Work for Darth Vader anyone????

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Surely it's better that a team of scientists discovered this before anyone with malevolent intentions. At least these guys will now try to find ways of overcoming it. That said, as it mentions in the some of the comments, the virus only works with one type of router so I don't think it's as scary as it's being made out to be.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

What do you think ATS?

I think it's a profoundly bad idea. Is this what they are using university funds for....REALLY? To create a virus that can be transmitted by WiFi.....to what purpose?

I guarantee it is only a matter of time before this little gem gets "leaked" by someone in the program and then a whole world of issues will ensue.

Why aren't they using their research dollars on something POSITIVE? Like a way to protect WiFi networks.....often these geniuses spend far too much time trying to do something rather than asking themselves if they SHOULD do it.

Totally irresponsible......

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
...And lemme guess; They will be coming out with anti-Wi-Fi virus software, rrrRRRIGHT??????
I don't get why people make virus to begin with. It compromises the system and should be seen as an attack on humanity!!

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Fylgje
...And lemme guess; They will be coming out with anti-Wi-Fi virus software, rrrRRRIGHT??????
I don't get why people make virus to begin with. It compromises the system and should be seen as an attack on humanity!!

more like evidence of stupidity

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by deadcalm

Why aren't they using their research dollars on something POSITIVE? Like a way to protect WiFi networks.....often these geniuses spend far too much time trying to do something rather than asking themselves if they SHOULD do it.

They'd be spending pounds buddy (£) not dollars ($), let me ask you this also...

How do you defend against something you know nothing about?

Just like a real biological virus you'd find out about it, manipulate it and break it down to better scrutinize it's abilities, strengths and weaknesses. So, Liverpool University done some research on software viruses and developed one that can "hop" Wi-Fi routers, big deal.

It's research and the findings are open to the public.

Same as Dr Gasson's findings and him being the first human to "catch" a software virus...
First human infected with computer virus

If your worried about how places of learning and knowledge are spending the pounds they are granted, I shudder how some would react to how Military research teams have worked on such things... In complete secrecy.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Posted Yesterday

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Please direct your comments to this ongoing thread...

First contagious WiFi computer virus goes airborne, spreads like the common cold

new topics

top topics

join