It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIDAS (Moon Impacts Detection and Analysis System)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Last September two telescopes involved in the MIDAS project simultaneously recorded a lunar impact which released enough energy to light up the vicinity for 8 full seconds. (What a sight that would have been to behold, alas their visual resolution is understandably limited.)

Project MIDAS proposes to study these impacts to form a better understanding when it comes to (heaven forfend) Earth-impacts. Apparently, more recent research has suggested that Earth impacts happen an order of magnitude more frequently that we had calculated previously.

This video is produced by MIDAS team-members it appears, who were exceedingly concerned that people would think the CGI elements would be confused for the actual footage which you start to be shown over two minutes into the video.

I thought I would share with you, as it may be a valuable source for those interested in keeping an eye on the lunar surface.

Enjoy!
edit on 26-2-2014 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
That's very cool. I'm looking forward to LRO images showing the "before and after" change. The impact would have excavated fresh rock, giving an opportunity to study its composition.

We're lucky that asteroid didn't land on one of the Apollo sites, or the Chang'e 3 landing site.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   

wildespace
That's very cool. I'm looking forward to LRO images showing the "before and after" change. The impact would have excavated fresh rock, giving an opportunity to study its composition.

We're lucky that asteroid didn't land on one of the Apollo sites, or the Chang'e 3 landing site.

Oh god....please no.

Do not feed the CT's.....if a meteor ever does hit or hit close to one of the Apollo sites, they be claiming that the US Gov. is using missiles to hid the fact that moon landings were all a hoax.....

bleh.......

join