It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When we find a second earth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Today a friend told me even if another earth was found this wouldn't mean they would announce it, as it would create chaos. It seems that isn't the case due to Kepler updates. They seem to be quite transparent about what they are finding.

When they find a place just like earth it will change things for the better in my opinion. It would make us all more united and humble, and be good for humanity.

"One night I was running home," the astronomer, who likes to run in the evenings, told SPACE.com, "and it was a particularly clear night so it was a nice starry sky, and in that split second when I looked up at the stars I saw the sky differently. I saw not just pinpoints of light; I saw solar systems. It was really a fundamental paradigm shift for me. I think everybody will experience that once they know there are so many planets out there." The first discovery of a second Earth will likely be another watershed moment for her and many, she said. www.space.com...

If we ever get confirmation on a second earth I believe I would feel amazement, my heart would expand (the feeling), and my level of connection to people would shift for the better. This would be without confirmation of life on that planet. I cannot see any reason at all why it would create anything other than good.

I'm not sure how long it would last - any additional solidarity the worlds people would feel, but I think for as long as it did last - it would be an extremely peaceful planet.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

I would love the idea of a second Earth.

(maybe we could have a do-over and do it right the second time!)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

We'd just send people there and ***k it up too. We've learned nothing.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

EA006
reply to post by beezzer

We'd just send people there and ***k it up too. We've learned nothing.

We'll have a bouncer on this Earth.

No lawyers, politicians, corporations, unions, lobbyists.

Just hot chicks playing volleyball (on trampolines) and banjo players.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Love it, i'm going there then lol

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
When we find a second Earth, maybe some of the strong holds on society can be released and cures and energy solutions made available. Real-estate will open up and population quota wars won't have to be worried about for a while longer.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I don't think they would let any of us on their planet. Another earth would probably already have life. What if that life was no different than us? That would be hugely disappointing.

With the technology they're using now I believe it's going to happen soon. In another thread the PO is talking about proving how everything is intimately connected (every bit of energy acts on every other source of energy), so if we can discover both at the same time - peace at last (maybe).

So we might not take over that planet but maybe would transform this one. Then Beezer's idea of bouncers can be the new law to keep things nice and peaceful.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
If we do find another Earth the PTB will extinguish this Earth's resources to get themselves there and will leave behind an empty shell of the earth we now know. Only those who can afford the fare will be able to leave.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

If there is a second earth we better, asap, get our resources together and get there....claim it as our own...then we will have nothing to debate anymore but itll still feel pretty cool...

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

That's possible. It could have even already happened to that second earth - where they did this very thing and destroyed it so are here visiting us. Maybe. I like to think it would unite us - instead of us against each other it would be us realizing we have one thing in common - the most important thing in that we're all a part of something special. If that happened we could see a collective thinking process that could transform societies.

I think people would feel more empowered as one unit - and no power hungry person could distinguish him/herself from that sort of collective feeling. The very act of hearing that news could stop this separation we impose with powerful/weak; rich/poor. It could very well set about some protesting due to the realization. I'm just trying to imagine how people would react overall.
edit on 26-2-2014 by Dianec because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I am not so sure finding a second Earth would be such a good thing for the world as a whole. On a personal level it would be amazing and wonderful to me. BUT, I could imagine that it could cause some serious damage to all of us in general. We have too many wars over resources as it is.......imagine the fighting that would go on trying to stake claim to an entire world of additional resources. It would be madness. Every country would be blowing up every other countries ships as soon as they took off so they could be the first there to claim it. That would result in massive wars on land. IDK it could happen. Maybe lol. Can a country claim an entire planet as its own if it is the first one there?
edit on 2262014 by Holographicmeat because: spelling edit

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Holographicmeat

The way we run things that would be the case. Look at the dispute between China and Japan because China saw it first but Japan stepped on it first. But - it would change us because we wouldn't be able to get there. People could try but it wouldn't happen. At best - we realize it's there and exactly like earth based on the specs. This knowledge changes the center of the universe thinking even more.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Dianec

The way we run things that would be the case. Look at the dispute between China and Japan because China saw it first but Japan stepped on it first. But - it would change us because we wouldn't be able to get there. People could try but it wouldn't happen. At best - we realize it's there and exactly like earth based on the specs. This knowledge changes the center of the universe thinking even more.

i know where two fixer up'er earths are. one is in close orbit around the third star in the alpha centauri group. its exactly earth sized but is too close to it's sun at the moment to be of use to us as is. another resides in the second stable orbit inside this very solar system. it is too hot and the atmosphere too dense to support human life.

however; in the future we may be advanced technologically enough to move planets around and infuse the cores with uranium and thorium to melt the core and mantle to create tectonics, dynamism and magnetic fields. in the distant future we may even be able to "teleport" a planet to another star system.

you might see a distant future in which three or four livable planets have been moved to a fresh young G or K type star or where a binary system of stars have been assembled with habitable planets around each star and also in circum-binary orbits. or you might not have to move them at all because you could link planets all over the universe with traversible wormholes.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by stormbringer1701

That was a cool read. If we could home astral travel - making it more than it presently is, that too would change people. We would need to feel completely at peace (collectively) to be able to do that IMO. I don't think we will ever build a machine that can do this until we're able to see the value in spirit as well as ego. And I'm not talking religion but how we're connected to what's out there already. We are so close yet still so far away. It's like the tip of something big yet we can't quite reach it.

If these planets you speak of are present there must be others in these same systems that are more livable. Of course my thinking all along is if they are inhabitable they are also occupied. Therefore its unlikely we will get off of this planet anytime in the next 1000 years so working with what we have is key. When we learn to live here - we will be able to go there. Then we can visit those places that are and aren't inhabited. That's my present thinking on it. It will take way more than we can create on a blueprint.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

On the other hand, it may be just what we need to make long distance space travel a reality quicker by starting round 2 or whatever of the space race. People really don't STILL believe we are the center of the universe do they?

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Dianec

That was a cool read. If we could home astral travel - making it more than it presently is, that too would change people. We would need to feel completely at peace (collectively) to be able to do that IMO. I don't think we will ever build a machine that can do this until we're able to see the value in spirit as well as ego. And I'm not talking religion but how we're connected to what's out there already. We are so close yet still so far away. It's like the tip of something big yet we can't quite reach it.

If these planets you speak of are present there must be others in these same systems that are more livable. Of course my thinking all along is if they are inhabitable they are also occupied. Therefore its unlikely we will get off of this planet anytime in the next 1000 years so working with what we have is key. When we learn to live here - we will be able to go there. Then we can visit those places that are and aren't inhabited. That's my present thinking on it. It will take way more than we can create on a blueprint.

maybe. maybe not. but if the established planets are all inhabited there is always the baby planets freshly formed or not yet formed. several nearby stars have proto-planetary disks with nice little bands of clear space or even swirling eddies (like umbilical cords in babies bellies) of accreting mass orbiting the barely ignited stars in the center of the disk. and on top of that there is the possibility of transforming a less than habitable planet.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Holographicmeat
reply to post by Dianec

On the other hand, it may be just what we need to make long distance space travel a reality quicker by starting round 2 or whatever of the space race. People really don't STILL believe we are the center of the universe do they?
there are at least three companies or university research teams ready to put together the first generation fusion drives right now. these first drives will not be interstellar speed class *YET* but they will jump start a technology race that will in short order get them to interstellar class.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Believe it or not people do deny that other lifeforms exist out there. I have a hard time believing they couldn't but it is due to not having proof. I've been reading and listening to people's thoughts on it for a long time and they say they know better yet can't integrate that knowledge. Knowing it in theory doesn't change a person. Proof of it would.

We find a place that meets all the requirements of a habitable zone - volume, mass, correct AU distance from sun, shape of orbit, gravity/atmosphere, etc.

People now have evidence that we are not alone - a replica of earth would make it extremely hard to even have a reasonable doubt. This would change people.

We cannot get to this planet. It is 10,000 light years away so we know this is impossible at present.

People begin to see those on the earth as one large community and focus on what makes us the same more than what makes us different. Culture, demographics, what your daily habits are become small in comparison to this realization.

People begin to shift their thinking. Things get more peaceful. Those who feel too big for their britches see how truly small they are in the scheme of things. Those who feel small feel larger suddenly, as they realize they are a part of something much more important than what's in front of them on a daily basis.

I believe proof would transform us.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Your right. If we could find infant earths this would be our chance to advance the human race. I wasn't aware of technology actually in existence that was working on speed light speed travel. Given that it would need to go 10,000 times faster than that to get there in our lifetimes is that possible? Wouldn't that kill a human being? I'm not into doing the math at this moment (I would probably get it wrong anyway) but how fast would we need to travel to make it to one of these places in say 5 years. I can't imagine anything we could invent could do that but I'll work on stretching my imagination. And I'll do some reading to see.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Finding a "Second Earth" is really irrelevant at this stage. It will do nothing because it won't be useful unless we can get there. It will be good for a bit of philosophical speculation, such as is shown here, on whether we could do better there than here--or not--that sort of stuff, but beyond that it won't change our lives in any significantly important way at all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join