It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine revolution: 150,000 Russian troops on alert as US warns Putin

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

mike dangerously

999zxcv
all russia has to do is switch off the gas pipeline and sit back and wait within 7 days the west would be begging for help

and not a bullet fired
Funny how often they forget that little fact.I say do it! Let's see how willing the US government would be to help them.

That "little fact" is anything but.

The main customers in Europe for Russian Gas are Germany and the Eastern countries. which all have strategic reserves. Germany has several months worth (usually 120 days, give or take) and it is also worth noting that this Winter has been quite warm and Spring is around the corner.

In order for Russia to have any effect by cutting off the gas, it would have to do so for a protracted period which would only hurt themselves as their economy is reliant on the foreign exchange earnings, by which time alternative supplies can be sourced, such as LPG (which is mixed with air is a good sub for Natural Gas) of which the EU is virtually self-sufficient.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

i remember a story not long ago that the u.k came within days of gas rationing

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Russia granted protection to the fugitive Ukrainian president, Russian media reported Thursday, as dozens of heavily armed gunmen seized control of government buildings in Ukraine's Crimea region and raised the Russian flag.
The moves pose an immediate challenge to Ukraine's new authorities as they sought to set up an interim government for the country, whose population is divided in loyalties between Russia and the West. Some 150,000 Russian soldiers carried out military exercises and fighter jets patrolled the border.

www.cbc.ca...

Not happy developments at all, considering these seemed like professionals carrying sniper rifles and rocket launchers.
edit on 27/2/14 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   

MrSpad

Telos

rigel4

Telos

rigel4

Scary as it might sound, I believe we need stop Russia before they get any ideas about the
rest of the old Soviet States.

While we're on the subject.. it's about time Russia was told to
go swivel on their policy on Syria.. Putin's mafia is keeping Assad in power.

Hope the Russian people turn on Putin.

edit on 26-2-2014 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

Who is WE? And whoever that is, why do you feel compelled that We has the right to stop Russia or any country for that matter to take a certain action? Who gives WE the right to act as a world police and decide who does what? And who said Assad regime is the bad guys and not the rats of Al Qaida who fight against him are the good one?
edit on 26-2-2014 by Telos because: (no reason given)

WE in this case, are the Nato Alliance and Western Europe.
I guess you're just a kid or you would understand Divisions that still
divide East and West after the break of up of the old Soviet Union.

No actually I'm not a kid at all and I've lived very well the division between west and east, actually I was right in the middle of it. And don't be an hypocrite because NATO=USA. And Western Europe at the time being wouldn't give an rat's @ss about Russia or divisions of the past cold war. This war mongering mentality is typical american. Always feeling the need to interfere in other countries business and flexing the muscles and bullying around. Mind your own business America. Enough trouble you've cost around the world. Enough wars you've initiated around the world. Enough souls have gone lost because you feel you have the right to decide for the whole world. Just stay away and mind your own damn business...

Because when the US tried minding it business it lead to two of the most destructive wars in human history. So deadly that more people were lost in single battles than have been killed by every US war since. If you know your history, you know that since the US has taken the role of world police it has been in fact the most peaceful time in human history. That the US is growing tired of that role is something the entire planet should fear because the arms race and conflicts that would follow will return to return to world to regular full scale war and death. Real war and death. So before you cast about what you wish for, maybe you should read a little bit about the world before Pax-Americana and then hope for the sake of everyone the US does not just walk away and mind its own buisiness.

If it had Ukraine would not even exist nor would any of the other former Soviet Republics as Russia would have retaken them already while the rest of Europe would still be fighting in the balkans.

Your assumption of my knowledge of world history is ridiculously wrong as it is your conviction of american role in world peace. That really was the cherry at the top of the BS cake you served us. US role in WWI was important of course. How cannot be when by entering at war in 1917 (almost at the end) was the fresh army, no losses, no battles while the rest of the countries were already bleeding and were tired and ruined after 3 years of heavy fighting. So my point is that every country with the ability to offer man power and machinery would have been able to do the same. As for WWII for me is enough to refer to your annalists who have made it clear that nothing drove US economy faster then the participation in WWII. While Europe and most of the countries in that continent were being destroyed, their economy and infrastructure crumbling to pieces, US who never fought a war in its own soil was prospecting exactly for that reason. If you don't know this part of history I'd suggest you to learn it. In other words stop trying to picture US as the good samaritan because it ain't!!! If they entered the war they did just for their own selfish interests, not to keep peace or because their hearts were aching for the innocents around the world. As for the part were you said that US involvements have made possible for the world to have had the most peaceful time in human history, I'm not even going to dignify with a reply...

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

This is troubling. Especially when they are not affiliating themselves with any group/military specifically. One could only guess who they work for. Saying you are friends of Russia, does not mean (prove) you are actually friends of Russia. Divide and conquer.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparkymedic

My guess would be a Russian special forces team with patches removed.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

masqua

Russia granted protection to the fugitive Ukrainian president, Russian media reported Thursday, as dozens of heavily armed gunmen seized control of government buildings in Ukraine's Crimea region and raised the Russian flag.
The moves pose an immediate challenge to Ukraine's new authorities as they sought to set up an interim government for the country, whose population is divided in loyalties between Russia and the West. Some 150,000 Russian soldiers carried out military exercises and fighter jets patrolled the border.

www.cbc.ca...

Not happy developments at all, considering these seemed like professionals carrying sniper rifles and rocket launchers.

I guess John Kerry couldn't have gotten a clearer answer to his "threats". When are this guys gonna learn that Russia of today is not Russia of Yeltsin anymore. And Putin, despite accusations against him being a dictator, has the balls of the size of an orthodox church bell and doesn't give a rats @ss of what Obama or his administration says. Didn't US learn the lesson with Georgia?

For good or for worst, Russia of today doesn't take crap from anyone, especially from its old "archenemy" USA...
edit on 27-2-2014 by Telos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

This is my point. We are left to guess - and use our imaginations. So really it's terrorists at this point. The convenient playing card used to start modern wars. How do we not know they aren't Ukrainian SF? Or even American/Western at that? We don't know, and likely never will. Either way, this can't end well.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Telos

If Russia wants a war in eastern Europe, then they are in for a very big fight indeed. There's no way Poland (for just one) is going to sit on the side and allow an invasion of Ukraine. If Putin is as reckless as to go back on signed treaties, he will face NATO forces.

He would not be only attacking the Crimean Peninsula if the forces occupying the parliament building are Russian military.

This is how it went down:

Our activists were sitting there all night calmly, building the barricades," he said. "At 5 o'clock unknown men turned up and went to the building. They got into the courtyard and put everyone on the ground.

"They were asking who we were. When we said we stand for the Russian language and Russia, they said: 'Don't be afraid. We're with you.' Then they began to storm the building bringing down the doors," he said. "They didn't look like volunteers or amateurs; they were professionals. This was clearly a well-organized operation."

"Who are they?" he added. "Nobody knows."
www.cbc.ca...

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

No surprise there masqua. We've seen this sort of scenario in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, Syria...rings the bell?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Telos

The problem is in the not knowing who these people are. If they're pro-Russian Ukrainians, then it's a Ukrainian problem. If they are Russian military, it could quickly become a NATO/UN problem.

I've seen a report of road checkpoints, by men in uniforms, flying a Russian flag, blocking a main road into Crimea as well. I'd link to it, but it's a paid subscription site.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Meanwhile, More Russian Military Vehicles Amass In The Crimean
RUSSIA: WEST MUST STOP MAKING PROVOCATIVE STATEMENTS ON UKRAINE.

NATO Calls Ukraine Developments "Dangerous And Irresponsible", Urges Russia Not To "Escalate Tension"

Russian tat. And now, NATO tit.

NATO CHIEF SAYS ACTIONS BY ARMED GROUP IN CRIMEA "DANGEROUS AND IRRESPONSIBLE"
NATO URGES RUSSIA NOT TO DO ANYTHING THAT WOULD "ESCALATE TENSION OR CREATE MISUNDERSTANDING"

And the lie of the day:

U.S., NATO HAVE NOT DRAWN UP ANY CONTINGENCY PLANS FOR HOW THEY WOULD RESPOND IF RUSSIA INTERVENED IN CRIMEA-NATO'S TOP MILITARY COMMANDER
THERE IS NO REASON FOR NATO AND RUSSIA TO COMPETE OVER THE FUTURE OF UKRAINE-NATO COMMANDER

www.zerohedge.com...
www.zerohedge.com...

(post by Gibraltarego removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Telos I'm not even going to dignify with a reply...

Really?? Well you just did!!!

Russia needs to chill out!! Just like America needed to chill out in Syria!!

If they want a civil war, LET THEM HAVE IT.... STAY OUT OF IT!!

Let them fight it out just like SYRIA!!! OOOOOOH but Russia, is different when it comes to civil wars that effect them we see!!!

STAY OUT OF IT EVERYONE LET THEM FIGHT IT OUT, THE BEST MEN WIN!!

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by starfoxxx

Russia wont.

Too much is at stake for them in the crimea.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

crazyewok
reply to post by starfoxxx

Russia wont.

Too much is at stake for them in the crimea.

I can see it now 2014 Peace prize winner OBAMA!!! Most powerful man in the world, stopping the ukraine civil war and the RUSSIAN invasion of a nation state in a few decades!!!! WE LOVE YOU PUTIN WE LOVE YOU OBAMA!!

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

pavil
reply to post by CosmicDude

Does ANYONE really think Putin is shaking in his boots with President Obama? I'm pretty sure Putin finds him laughable as a world leader. What exactly would give you the impression that the current U.S. Administration would do anything to give Russia cause for worry?

I like the Ukraine and what they have done, I just doubt my President will give them anything more than lip service. I fear they may pay a very high price because of that. Hopefully the EU has more spine than President Obama on this.

On another website there is a quote by Putin: "Negotiating with Obama is like playing Chess with a pigeon. The pigeon knocks over chess pieces, poops all over the chess board, then struts around as if it had won the game."

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

stormcell

On another website there is a quote by Putin: "Negotiating with Obama is like playing Chess with a pigeon. The pigeon knocks over chess pieces, poops all over the chess board, then struts around as if it had won the game."

If Putin actually said that then

He should win all of Ukraine and Poland too for the awesomeness of that remark
Infact the UK should give him Scotland too

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

starfoxxx

Telos I'm not even going to dignify with a reply...

Really?? Well you just did!!!

No I did NOT !!! I commented on the rest of what he said but that.

Why does anyone feel the need to reply or comment when they don't understand squat?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
update:

In Moscow, Russia's Foreign Ministry said that Russia was abiding by an agreement with Ukraine that sharply restricts troops movements, but acknowledged some unspecified troops movements, claiming they didn't violate the deal, the Interfax news agency reported.
In a statement, the local government said Crimean Prime Minister Anatoly Mogilyev had tried to negotiate with the gunmen but was told "they were not authorized to negotiate and present demands.”

www.cbc.ca...

Getting that Spetsnaz feeling...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join